New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Speed of the Mac - How fast?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Avenged Origami

Avenged Origami is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: macbook 2.2 ghz , ipod classic 80 gig and ipod nano 4 gig

how fast does your mac turn on this is to the screeen with background.. etc?
just say which mac and how long it takes because the computer i use takes several minutes!!!!!

"mighty boosh rules" the panda knows best...
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i would say 10-20 sec for my 2.0 coreduo macbook with 1Gb of ram running tiger.

you may want to try maintenance programs like mainmenu or onyx to clean your logfiles and caches.

also, how full is your hard drive. an extremely full hard drive, with well less than 10% free may cause some slow downs.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
rohan

rohan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Quad Core i7, 16GB | 27" iMac 3.1 GHz Core i5 OS X.9.0 | iPhone 4 iOS 7.0.3

well you can see what mac im using under my name...& im running OS 10.5.2 with all updates...& have around 5 items set to load on startup...takes 45 - 55 secs to start

<< i can explain it to you...but i can't understand it for you... >>
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Why don't you just tell us your machine and give us some info so we can help you? A straw poll isn't going to be much use to you.
QUOTE Thanks
rohan

Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Quad Core i7, 16GB | 27" iMac 3.1 GHz Core i5 OS X.9.0 | iPhone 4 iOS 7.0.3

10-20 sec? that sounds insane...is there anything you tweaked to achieve that?

QUOTE Thanks
MDCjr

MDCjr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.2C2D 2gb 15.4

Quote:
im running OS 10.5.2 with all updates...& have around 5 items set to load on startup..
How do u set or change what programs you want launch when the computer starts up?

-If you're still bragging about what you did yesterday, then you haven't accomplished anything today!
QUOTE Thanks
Macwillis

Macwillis is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram

right click on the dock item you want to/ or dont want to load during startup and say open at login if it has a tick it opens at login if it doesnt then it wont.

hope this helps

MacWillis
QUOTE Thanks
Avenged Origami

ahh yer i think its faster now thanks.. thanks

QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan View Post
10-20 sec? that sounds insane...is there anything you tweaked to achieve that?
nope - just keep it clean
keep in mind, that is 10-20 sec to login screen. then maybe 10 sec to bring up the desktop and i can start using apps after i sign in.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

On 10.5 Leper, External drives will increase shut-down and boot-up time. If they are USB1... drastically.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

My MBP, 2.2 GHz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 5200 RPM hard drive, running 10.5.2, takes about 35 seconds from me pressing the power button to fully loaded desktop with all startup items (and I have a few!) also fully loaded.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Likugha

Likugha is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2 GHz Core Duo ! GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Just timed it. took me 25-26 seconds from "on" button push to loaded background and dock. Biggest hint is keeping it clean. I love Onyx
QUOTE Thanks
rohan

ahh k...i forgot to mention that...when i say 45 secs that includes my drive slowdown & is form hitting start to deasktop load completion.

origami...what did you do that made it faster? (or do you only think its faster :p)

QUOTE Thanks
Avenged Origami

lol i dunno it was loading loads of random things its better now not completly sure what i did....

QUOTE Thanks
WolfsBane

WolfsBane will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.

iMac 2.4 Duo w/2 Gig memory and Mac OS X 10.5.2, about 20 seconds fairly consistently. I have noticed slowdowns in two particular instances. When the OS does an extended scan of the external hard drive for any reason, and when a new update to the OS is installed. Other than that, pretty consistent. I try to keep my desktop clean of any extraneous stuff.

Hope Springs Eternal
Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« i can go online on firefox, but not safari | Mac OS mail and verizon DSL issues »