New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Recommendations for potential switcher..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

soccerphysio

soccerphysio is on a distinguished road

I will be making a potential switch later this year from a PC to an iMac. However, I am not sure of how much to "upgrade," without overdoing it. What system requirements would you recommend for a typical, average user that would be using the iMac for MS Office applications, photo/video (not heavy), iTunes, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
CL33Zero

CL33Zero is a jewel in the roughCL33Zero is a jewel in the rough

Almost any new iMac would do you well really. If its not a work horse, then you really dont need all the extras. But of course, it would always make things faster/smoother if you did. But any other extras would be just a personal choice of yours. Any iMac can handle your basic functions without any problem at all. I would shoot for at least the 2.4 processor, and install 2Gb of ram myself if I were in your situation. Anything else is your choice.

P.S. DONT buy apple ram.

Its time to go...
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

I have a 2.2ghz MacBook w/ 2gb RAM and I love it! It runs great and never bogs down.

I don't know what the cost difference is between the 2.0 and the 2.4, but if it isn't a lot, I might opt for the 2.4. However, you said you were thinking of buying later in the year. By then 2.2 or 2.4 will probably be the entry level standard, and that would be my choice.

I would also buy it from Apple with 1gb of RAM and then buy either 2 or 4 gb from an aftermarket site at a later time if you think it is necessary. Fortunately, RAM for Macs is cheap (unless you buy it from Apple).
QUOTE Thanks
soccerphysio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL33Zero View Post
Almost any new iMac would do you well really. If its not a work horse, then you really dont need all the extras. But of course, it would always make things faster/smoother if you did. But any other extras would be just a personal choice of yours. Any iMac can handle your basic functions without any problem at all. I would shoot for at least the 2.4 processor, and install 2Gb of ram myself if I were in your situation. Anything else is your choice.

P.S. DONT buy apple ram.
Why wouldn't you buy Apple RAM? Cost?
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Cost. Much, much cheaper to DIY.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerphysio View Post
Apple RAM is ridiculously overpriced. Sites like NewEgg and Crucial sell it dirt cheap with a lifetime warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
youthpastor

youthpastor will become famous soon enough

Like others have already stated, any iMac that Apple offers should meet your needs. Just be sure to get plenty of RAM--I'd recommend Crucial for your RAM needs. Good luck <><

New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I'd also recommend you try some of the free alternatives to MS Office before you buy it. In particular, NeoOffice is fully MS Office compatible, completely free and looks a lot more like Office on Windows than Office for Mac does.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
soccerphysio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I'd also recommend you try some of the free alternatives to MS Office before you buy it. In particular, NeoOffice is fully MS Office compatible, completely free and looks a lot more like Office on Windows than Office for Mac does.
So there would not be any problems opening documents I created at home on my Mac using my work PC using NeoOffice?

As for buying RAM from Crucial or Newegg, if I should ever have a problem with the computer and bring it into an Apple store for servicing, would the use of "Non-Apple" parts negate any warranty?

I know, stupid questions, but just need to make sure!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
So there would not be any problems opening documents I created at home on my Mac using my work PC using NeoOffice?

As for buying RAM from Crucial or Newegg, if I should ever have a problem with the computer and bring it into an Apple store for servicing, would the use of "Non-Apple" parts negate any warranty?

I know, stupid questions, but just need to make sure!
Correct, providing that you set NeoOffice's defaults to save as MS Office document formats. By default, NeoOffice will save in its own native format. You can override that by doing a Save As..., but NeoOffice also gives you the ability to tell it to always save as MS Office-compatible formats. On the flip side, NeoOffice has no problem opening all of the MS Office formats.

You may upgrade with 3rd party memory without invalidating the warranty. However, if Apple determines that the fault lies with your memory, they will not replace it - you'd have to go back to that 3rd party and hope that they stand by their warranty. That's why I recommend Crucial - Crucial is the retail arm of Micron who is one of the biggest memory manufacturers out there. When they say the warranty is "lifetime", they'll actually be around should you need to make a claim.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
CL33Zero

CL33Zero is a jewel in the roughCL33Zero is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Like others said, its VERY overpriced. Let me just clarify HOW much over priced.

Lets say you bought the baseline 24" iMac. Totally stoked. Super cool computer on its way. But you op to have Apple pre install the memory for you. Saves some headache right? Wrong. It comes standard with 1Gb of RAM. And if you upgrade to 4 through Apple, it will set you back an extra $500. If you bought some from kingston, it would cost you just a bit over $100. Sooooooo, if you do the math, 500-100 (like they even pay 100 buck for it ) would be 400 for them. And its a 10 min job, MAX. There is 60 mins in an hour. So thats 400 x 6. Your paying apple about $2400 an hour to install your ram for you. You can even take out the $2.50 they pay someone to do it if you want. (Just a guess a $15/hour wage)

Another thing, you might be thinking, "well it will save time if it comes pre installed" Also wrong. Apple will set your shipping time back anywhere from a day, to a full three. For something that takes ten mins, and anyone with a screwdriver can do.

DONT buy Apple ram. They are a business, so no surprise that they want your money.

Edit: oops, the link I gave to the kingston ram wasnt for the iMac, it was for the macbook. O well, you get the point

Its time to go...
QUOTE Thanks
Likugha

Likugha is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2 GHz Core Duo ! GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

The thing that struck me is that apple will definitely have upgraded their bottom line by the end of the summer. And not that neo doesn't have its place but i feel it is inferior to ms office and iWork which will also let you export to a .doc or .docx as well. I love pages and keynote they have great templates but so does word 2008 surprisingly trendy
QUOTE Thanks
soccerphysio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Correct, providing that you set NeoOffice's defaults to save as MS Office document formats. By default, NeoOffice will save in its own native format. You can override that by doing a Save As..., but NeoOffice also gives you the ability to tell it to always save as MS Office-compatible formats. On the flip side, NeoOffice has no problem opening all of the MS Office formats.

You may upgrade with 3rd party memory without invalidating the warranty. However, if Apple determines that the fault lies with your memory, they will not replace it - you'd have to go back to that 3rd party and hope that they stand by their warranty. That's why I recommend Crucial - Crucial is the retail arm of Micron who is one of the biggest memory manufacturers out there. When they say the warranty is "lifetime", they'll actually be around should you need to make a claim.
Thanks to all of you guys for the help. I probably won't make my purchase until the end of the summer, just prior to my iPhone purchase in September. I will probably have many more questions in the months to come; I greatly appreciate the advice everyone here gives to make a potential switcher feel more at ease!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Excel 08 - Finding the gradient from a graph | insurance and ownership »