New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

What the. . .?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cyclist

Hi all. . .

I've owned a PowerBook G4 for about 3 months now and absolutely love it.

One small problem though. There's a small aqua 'disk' on my desktop, about the size of a dime. I can move it around with the mouse and when clicked, it seems to flatten and darken any windows that are on the desktop. Exactly like 'expose' acts when you hit the F10 key.

I don't remember downloading anything that would have put this on my desktop and I CAN'T GET RID OF IT. It doesn't respond to a ctrl click or a cmd click or anything but a regular click, at which time it just flattens and darkens the open windows.

Any ideas as to what this little bugger is? I WANT IT OUTTA HERE.

Thanks, cyclist
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Could you take a screen shot of it so we can see?

Go to the Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilities) and see if there is anything that looks out of the ordinary

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
firsteggprez

firsteggprez is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook

You have "expose blob" enabled in ony x. Just uncheck it in the dock prefrences.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Picture 2.pdf (185.1 KB, 33 views)

-Chapman Film School: Class of 2012-
QUOTE Thanks
meanopause

i think it's just that expose blob you see. uncheck that radio box and it should be gone.
QUOTE Thanks
cyclist

Sure. . .here's the screenshot.

and thanks for the suggestions, but I can't find any radio button for expose' anywhere. Preferences just gives me choices of hot keys and hot corners, but no button to turn it on or off. And there is nothing in the dock preferences for expose' either. . .atleast nothing that I can find. I don't have onyx. . .

???????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshotblueglob.jpg (1.3 KB, 7 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

This actually is the Exposé-Blob, which can't be enabled/disabled through System Preferences. It should have been enabled by some other programs. As you said you don't have Onyx, do you have any other tool, like maybe TinkerTool, that enables you to unlock hidden OS X settings? Because that really is the only way to get that Blob. It has been disabled by Apple, and can only be enabled/disabled by a third party tool...
QUOTE Thanks
rberry88

rberry88 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook

The program Cocktail also has this option. If you have Cocktail installed on your machine then launch it and go to the Interface tab and then to the Dock subtab and make sure the box is unchecked to remove it. It may require you to log out before it takes effect (removes the blob).

Looking for a PowerMac G4 for $500 or less USD.
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Xupport also will work.

Just download Cocktail or Xupport, they're shareware and you can download them for free. You might also want to keep them around, because they're great for performing routine maintenance on your comp.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
cyclist

Thanks for all the help. It was the expose blob and I downloaded Cocktail and got rid of it. I did have tinkertool, but couldn't find anything there that referred to the 'blob'.

Anyway, it's gone and again thanks for all the help.

-cyclist
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iDISK 'Stuck' File | Cant use Stuffit Expander »