networking my new mac and my old xp machine
    hi there everyone, recently picked up a macbook and after getting over the first steep learning curve, adjusting to keyboard shortcuts etc I have to say I'm really liking my new machine

I'm trying to set up sharing so I can transfer some files accross from my older pc.
    Normally I would just follow one of the many online guides there are for this process - such as this one

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=54704

however I fall down on the first hurdle - it says to go to

(Applications > Utilities > Directory Access)

well I'm in (Applications > Utilities) and guess what I don't have 'Directory Access' as an option

I have 'Directory' and 'Directory Utility', neither of which is the right one (I think) - can someone please point me in the right direction or tell me where I'm going wrong?

many thanks if you can help

Specs:
    2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
    As a new switcher you should check out www.myfirstmac.com
    there is a lot of useful information there.
    This one is what I tink you are after:
    http://www.myfirstmac.com/index.php/...c-the-easy-way
    or
    http://www.myfirstmac.com/index.php/...-my-mac-and-pc

Specs:
    Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
    If you just want to share files try a program called folder share from Microsoft.

They do a version for Mac and PC.

I use it and it does as it says, Also it's free.

Those guides are kind of dated and from my experience they are not accurate anymore. I have connected drives between OS X and Windows without them being in the same workgroup, OS X seems to ignore the workgroup anyway.

Have you ever mapped network drives between Windows PCs before? In OS X it is similar. As long as both machines are on the network, in Finder you can click "Go" -> "Connect to Server" and then for the connection put smb://servername/sharename (servername is the name of the Windows PC, sharename is the share on that PC). You can also map to administrative shares like C$ and that sort of thing. OS X will ask for credentials and then drop an icon on the desktop for that share.

Specs:
    Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
    I couldn't get that to work on Leopard (10.5), it worked with Tiger (10.4) tho. I tried with 10.5.1, and while I did try it with 10.5.2, I didn't give it long before I quit trying.

I am going to give that FolderShare at try. It's here https://www.foldershare.com/clientdownload.aspx if you are looking for it. Actually I think Dropbox might better suit my needs atm. http://gigaom.com/2008/03/17/foldershare-vs-dropbox/
    Quote Originally Posted by S.SubZero View Post
    Those guides are kind of dated and from my experience they are not accurate anymore. I have connected drives between OS X and Windows without them being in the same workgroup, OS X seems to ignore the workgroup anyway.

Have you ever mapped network drives between Windows PCs before? In OS X it is similar. As long as both machines are on the network, in Finder you can click "Go" -> "Connect to Server" and then for the connection put smb://servername/sharename (servername is the name of the Windows PC, sharename is the share on that PC). You can also map to administrative shares like C$ and that sort of thing. OS X will ask for credentials and then drop an icon on the desktop for that share.
    invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses

That's odd, cuz I never had a problem with it. I do know Vista is not as agreeable on sharing to non-Windows, but XP should be fine.

Would not connecting the two machines via USB also be an option? Or firewire?

Specs:
    I imagine things would be much easier with a router, but I just have the ethernet connection wire. I never tried with usb, but I've never heard of it either. I assumed my problems had more to do with needing the .2 update but as I said I haven't spent much time trying to figure it out after the update. I have tried but between following instructs that don't quite fit (similar to what drunken mentions), ones that explain but with a router, some how read like they are missing steps (I guess they assume proficiency with mac or XP?) or just plain assume one thing or another, I just got way too frustrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.SubZero View Post
    That's odd, cuz I never had a problem with it. I do know Vista is not as agreeable on sharing to non-Windows, but XP should be fine.

Would not connecting the two machines via USB also be an option? Or firewire?
    invincible ignorance is an example of ignorance that can not be removed by any amount of evidence. It's now a widespread form of pollution. (Revised quote) An apple a day, keeps the psychiatrist away.. If you play a Windows install CD backwards it has satanic verses

Specs:
    2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
    I had a problem with Leopard not see a previously installed dell laptop on my network.
    I found the fault in the Network preference pane under the WINS pane (Advanced settings)

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

You have to chose the right workgroup from the drop down pane
    Now with Leopard

I was Member of the month April 08

Specs:
    Hmmm I recall someone telling me that also (when I was trying with 10.5.1) and and altho it didn't work then, it's possible I need to give it all a more focused try again hehe I guess it's time for me to give it another try Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilted1 View Post
    I had a problem with Leopard not see a previously installed dell laptop on my network.
    I found the fault in the Network preference pane under the WINS pane (Advanced settings)

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

You have to chose the right workgroup from the drop down pane

Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    You can spend a long time fiddling with file sharing and network settings, and this may be worthwhile if you think you will be regularly swapping files back and forth between the two machines. However, if this is a one time event, or one of a very small number of times you will want to do this, why not just use a USB memory stick or an external hard drive? This would be the simplest and the fastest I would bet.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Thread Information