New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Parallels with Serial

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

maxdog

maxdog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, iMac

Before I buy parallels can anyone tell me if it will support a USB serial adapter?
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but as a general rule, the USB ports on your Mac will work with Parallels/Windows the same as they work on any other PC running Windows. When you plug a USB device in while running Parallels, a dialogue box pops up asking if you would like to connect the USB device to the virtual desktop (Windows).
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Yes, it will, and that's precisely the type of thing I bought it for. Especially the current version. My wife has an Olympus digital voice recorder that uses USB to transfer the recordings which is about as non-Mac compatible as any device I've owned (even my GPS and other devices at least show up on my Macbook as drives.) With Parallels and the Windows OS installed under it I can transfer those recordings, and then drag and drop them over to the "Mac side" to manipulate and/or make available for my wife once she has made them.
QUOTE Thanks
brianwmay

brianwmay has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g

Certainly does, I have all sorts plugged in on a 7 way hub - in fairness I don't have them all showing in Parallels, only the ones I need.
QUOTE Thanks
brianwmay

brianwmay has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g

Oh by the way - the hub is externally powered as you wouldn't be able to draw the current necessary for multiple USB devices from the two slots on a MBP (in my case).

The 'bonus' with a hub is you only need to use one of the two USB ports. I used to plug my IR mouse in the other but have gone down the BT mouse and am deeply happy with that, also freeing up the 'spare' USB slot.
QUOTE Thanks
boberonicus

boberonicus is on a distinguished road

The OP is asking a question that goes beyond simply plugging your USB-enabled camera into your machine. Maxdog, is there any reason you don't want to use your Mac to make serial connections natively? I know that the IOgear USB to serial adapter works on the Mac (a friend uses it). I have one I haven't tested it yet.

For USB-to-serial to work within parallels, you'd have to be able to see what COM port the adapter associates with. And all that COM port stuff would have to work within parallels. I suppose I could test it for you via Hyperterminal, but I'm pretty busy just now. Maybe you could take a router and an adapter to an Apple store and ask an eager 20-something to assist?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Pro - screen brightness | Ahhh more confusion for soon to be sad switcher 0.o »