New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Ahhh more confusion for soon to be sad switcher 0.o

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Corbri

Corbri will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro: 7200 RPM 250 HD, 2 gig Ram, 2.4 Gig processor... IPHONE 3g

Heh, I'm sure a few of you guys saw my post a couple days ago regarding which macbook/pro to get. Finally decided, and now I'm hit with more confusion. I was reading the rumors thread and they said they will be coming out with a new design, and better processor/graphics card in June.

So does this mean I should wait until June or get one now? Someone also mentioned the ones out right now are kinda "slow" which I can't have.

So now, or wait?

By the way for those who were at my last noob board, I've definitely decided that I'm getting a mac. No way will I go with pc again, I'm obsessed with getting my new mac
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

If you can wait till June, then I would say definitely wait. But if you absolutely need a machine now, then know that the laptop you buy today will still be a really great machine regardless of the potential June update.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
ogacon

ogacon has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs:  15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver

I don't know of anyone saying the current gen are "slow". As to if they will have new model out in June and even it if it will be worth waiting? Who knows, its all speculation and rumors. They may come as early as June, or as late as september or next year. Depends on what Apple does and their plans. Also, if they do revamp it as much as the rumor says, it may even be smart to wait till a next revision to fix all the first release bugs. Because of that, I'm not too worried and won't be waiting. If I knew no bugs would occur on a new rev A product, I would definitely wait, but I just don't want to risk it.

I'm doing "Now"... so I'll say go for it

Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
What sound does your Rooster make?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Considering the current macbook pro is less than 2 months old and there are already rumors of a new one coming out I'd say your chances of being stuck in 'waiting mode' are pretty high if you choose to always wait for the latest and greatest. I vote if you need it, get it. If you don't wait, but until it's announced (the day they're available) it's still a rumor.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

Actually, the last speed bump was an anomaly when you look at revision schedules for the past two years. I personally think it was the final speed bump prior to a revamping of both notebook lines. So an update in June is not wholly unexpected.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Corbri

Corbri will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro: 7200 RPM 250 HD, 2 gig Ram, 2.4 Gig processor... IPHONE 3g

Gosh I want it now, but my impatience is going to bite me in the butt one day I just know it.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Actually, the last speed bump was an anomaly when you look at revision schedules for the past two years. I personally think it was the final speed bump prior to a revamping of both notebook lines. So an update in June is not wholly unexpected.
Yep, pretty true. I just don't see the point in waiting for the next one continually. Then again, I have the current 'next one' anyway.. ordered the week after release as a happy accident so pay no attention to me

edit: oh and no, it ain't slow

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
CL33Zero

CL33Zero is a jewel in the roughCL33Zero is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
I agree. The last updates where "eh." Plus June is MacBook month.

Its time to go...
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Yep, pretty true. I just don't see the point in waiting for the next one continually. Then again, I have the current 'next one' anyway.. ordered the week after release as a happy accident so pay no attention to me

edit: oh and no, it ain't slow
While I agree generally, when you know that there is an update right around the corner, it seems kind of silly not to wait. It's a completely different scenario from buying one now and then watch as it's updated six months down.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
eliehass

eliehass has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM

Slow? I have a MBP from this past june, and it is the fastest computer I have ever used, faster even then my dads Power Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Apple never stops releasing updates. This cycle never ends. Within a week of the June update (which may or may not even be real), there will be a buzz about the next update that will come in the autumn. It never ends.

Each update is almost always 2% better than it's predecessor. But the improvements are often negligible. i.e. the 2.6ghz processor becomes a 2.8ghz. But as soon as the 2.8ghz comes out, there will be talk of breaking 3ghz by the end of the year. It's ridiculous.

If you are in a position to wait, and it isn't that big of a deal to you, then wait and see what comes out. However, your post says "I'm obsessed with getting by new Mac." This indicates to me that the wait will be painful. In my mind, that makes it not worth it.

Get your new Mac and enjoy it...
QUOTE Thanks
belunos

belunos will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66

It isn't necessarily the slight bump in clock speed that people should wait for. It's the off chance that the trackpad will be bigger, or they replace the 8600 video with 8800. Or something else entirely we haven't thought of. I want a new one to, but I'm willing to wait a couple of months and see if either of those improvements make it.

You do have to have a cutoff date, however. if June gets here and there's no update, I wouldn't wait any longer.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

I have a 2 year old MacBook (Core Duo) which is extremely fast. I can't imagine a brand new MBP being anything other than lightening fast.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
iApple

iApple will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.66ghz Core 2 duo iMac (20in), 320gb HDD, 4gb DDR3 1066mhz, iPhone 3g (8GB), Nano 4g (16GB)

I actually plan on buying a macbook in june, and im driving to my nearest apple store (bout 2 hours away lol) just to get it so i dont have to wait for shipping, plus i want the "apple store experience" since ive never been to one. But when in June do macbooks usually get updated? Cause i plan on going around the 17th, and if its not to long after that than i could justify waiting.
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by iApple View Post
I actually plan on buying a macbook in june, and im driving to my nearest apple store (bout 2 hours away lol) just to get it so i dont have to wait for shipping, plus i want the "apple store experience" since ive never been to one. But when in June do macbooks usually get updated? Cause i plan on going around the 17th, and if its not to long after that than i could justify waiting.
I'd give it till the end of the month, just to be safe. There's no real set timeframe, but you can wait until the new one hits and just go that day or the next.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Parallels with Serial | new MacBook cant connect to internet »