New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Newbie question...Best PDA for syncing with a MB Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Joseph Milton

Joseph Milton is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MB Pro user

First question for all of you, and thanks for having me here.

I have a 2 month old MB Pro. I love it, but now I need a PDA to sync with it so I don't have to carry this machine everywhere.

I currently have NEXTEL thru work, and therefore a nextel PDA would be compatible with my lifestyle (not having separate devices for phone and PDA). But I am more inclined to buy a separate PDA if it is just smooth as silk for syncing purposes.

If anyone has knowledge on these devices, please help a newbie out. I'm from Peoria, IL, have no Apple store within 3 hours of my home, and I am technologically un-advanced!

Thanks Mac-People!

Joseph
QUOTE Thanks
nickster

nickster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 13" i7, 8GB RAM, 500GB HD

I think it just depends on what you want from it.... What you're going to be doing with it...

I've heard of a bunch of people using there touch for a PDA, it has most of the functions of a basic PDA plus Wifi.
QUOTE Thanks
jsgreen

jsgreen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Alm 2.4Ghz iMac 750Gb HD 4Gb Ram

Why not switch to ATT and use the iphone?
QUOTE Thanks
Joseph Milton

My company pays for a huge nextel plan, so, an iPhone is not happening right now. Do the iPod touch models sync with the Mac Books? I'm not opposed to using 2 devices.

Joseph
QUOTE Thanks
Aubie16

Aubie16 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Milton View Post
My company pays for a huge nextel plan, so, an iPhone is not happening right now. Do the iPod touch models sync with the Mac Books? I'm not opposed to using 2 devices.

Joseph
Yeah... i know the iPod Touch syncs your address book and calender. The touch may do other things as well, but I'm not sure because I have the iPhone, not the touch.
QUOTE Thanks
nickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubie16 View Post
Yeah... i know the iPod Touch syncs your address book and calender. The touch may do other things as well, but I'm not sure because I have the iPhone, not the touch.
From what I've heard they have all the function of the iphone, just without the ability to make calls.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I'm inclined to recommend the iPod Touch also (I have an iPhone myself), but beforehand, what exact needs of a PDA do you have? The iPhone/Touch are great and have a lot of promise, but the official development kit is just now under public beta testing, so 3rd-party apps are still lacking, aside from those that are hacks.
QUOTE Thanks
Joseph Milton

My only needs are the calender. I want my MBP to sync with a PDA, and vice versa. Just for the calender, address book, and other knick-knacks.

I'm simple as far as that is concerned.

Thanks for the feedback. Keep posting if anyone else has ideas.

Thanks a lot!

Joseph
QUOTE Thanks
nickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubie16 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Milton View Post
My only needs are the calender. I want my MBP to sync with a PDA, and vice versa. Just for the calender, address book, and other knick-knacks.

I'm simple as far as that is concerned.

Thanks for the feedback. Keep posting if anyone else has ideas.

Thanks a lot!

Joseph

If you can use the build in ical and the address book you're set. Plus you get a built in ipod which is great...
QUOTE Thanks
jsgreen

jsgreen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" Alm 2.4Ghz iMac 750Gb HD 4Gb Ram

Slightly off topic, but here's what not to get: a Palm PDA

I have used Palm PDAs for years (since the early 1990s) - the early ones were robust, but lately the Palm OS just can't keep up with the demands of network utilization and third party software. My current is a Palm Treo 680 (unlocked, GSM) - I have paired down my 3rd party application to only a handfull made by generally responsive developers, and the thing still resets several times a day.

I won't buy another Palm device - they were good, but no longer pass the test of reliability. I will consider an iPhone when v2 is released, I have high hopes for Apple's return to the PDA world.
QUOTE Thanks
riverteeth

riverteeth is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.

What about windows mobile devices? Seems I've read elsewhere that there is 3rd party software to make these sync pretty darn well. I'm thinking about getting a PDA / smart phone for the same reasons, and I' not interested in the iPhone or Touch for several reasons.

"The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past." -William Faulkner
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverteeth View Post
What about windows mobile devices? Seems I've read elsewhere that there is 3rd party software to make these sync pretty darn well. I'm thinking about getting a PDA / smart phone for the same reasons, and I' not interested in the iPhone or Touch for several reasons.
The interface of Windows Mobile is renown for its user-unfriendliness. The iPhone hasn't grabbed so much market share just because Apple makes it. It's because Windows Mobile suuuuuccccks. It's so bad that even by MS' own update path, they don't expect to catch up to the iPhone for 2 more revisions yet.
QUOTE Thanks
riverteeth

riverteeth is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.

Why ya got to be such a hater? There are obvious things that the iPhone does that are light years ahead of other smart phones, lots in fact, but there are clearly others that it just doesn't have YET, like 3G support. Or maybe its just hard to find (hasn't come to Taiwan yet), or maybe I just don't want to pay for another ipod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
The interface of Windows Mobile is renown for its user-unfriendliness. The iPhone hasn't grabbed so much market share just because Apple makes it. It's because Windows Mobile suuuuuccccks. It's so bad that even by MS' own update path, they don't expect to catch up to the iPhone for 2 more revisions yet.

"The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past." -William Faulkner
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverteeth View Post
Why ya got to be such a hater? There are obvious things that the iPhone does that are light years ahead of other smart phones, lots in fact, but there are clearly others that it just doesn't have YET, like 3G support. Or maybe its just hard to find (hasn't come to Taiwan yet), or maybe I just don't want to pay for another ipod.
Not being a hater... just stating the truth. If you want to torture yourself... have at it. I'm merely providing a counterpoint to your suggestion, though I am well aware the iPhone/Touch can't meet everyone's needs. In the OP's case though, it looks like it will.
QUOTE Thanks
brianwmay

brianwmay has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g

I've got a Palm TX and was worried (the other way around - I already HAD the PDA).

I must say it's performed flawlessly with my MBP using either the Bluetooth OR USB connection. This Palm replaced a 7 year old Sony Clie, and quite frankly is superb - my only proviso is I wish I could dim the screen a bit more - that's it, the sum of my complaints!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iWorks trial | light scribe ability coming soon? »