New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Newbie iTunes Question


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
juice

 
Member Since: Mar 17, 2008
Posts: 57
juice is on a distinguished road

juice is offline
So I am still in the process of transferring files from my old PC to my new MacBook Pro. I already have some semblance of an iTunes library that I've already started rating and sorting into playlists.

I've designated my iTunes library to a specific "My Music" folder on an external HD.

Now suppose I add more music (I have a couple thousand to add from my old PC still) to that folder. If I go to iTunes and add music (I forget the technical term, but I think it is apple+O) and add the entire "My Music" folder, what will happen?

Will I get duplicates of songs I've already imported?
Will it overwrite the old songs with new songs and erase playcounts?

Any help is appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
fiveightandten

 
fiveightandten's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 31, 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 313
fiveightandten has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Black 2.0GHz C2D- 120GB/2Gb * Mac Mini G4 1.42GHz- 80GB/512MB

fiveightandten is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice View Post
So I am still in the process of transferring files from my old PC to my new MacBook Pro. I already have some semblance of an iTunes library that I've already started rating and sorting into playlists.

I've designated my iTunes library to a specific "My Music" folder on an external HD.

Now suppose I add more music (I have a couple thousand to add from my old PC still) to that folder. If I go to iTunes and add music (I forget the technical term, but I think it is apple+O) and add the entire "My Music" folder, what will happen?

Will I get duplicates of songs I've already imported?
Will it overwrite the old songs with new songs and erase playcounts?

Any help is appreciated.
If you go to Preferences>Advanced>General you can choose whether iTunes will make a copy of each imported file into the folder for the library it's 'running off', or if it will just 'point' to an existing file.

iTunes will never overwrite files, persay. You'll just wind up with 2 of the same thing.

In addition, it may be helpful to you to know that you can create new libraries or choose which library you want it to 'run off' by holding down the option button when you open iTunes. I've used this feature to merge/organize libraries before.

Hope that helps.

-Nick
QUOTE Thanks
juice

 
Member Since: Mar 17, 2008
Posts: 57
juice is on a distinguished road

juice is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
If you go to Preferences>Advanced>General you can choose whether iTunes will make a copy of each imported file into the folder for the library it's 'running off', or if it will just 'point' to an existing file.

iTunes will never overwrite files, persay. You'll just wind up with 2 of the same thing.

In addition, it may be helpful to you to know that you can create new libraries or choose which library you want it to 'run off' by holding down the option button when you open iTunes. I've used this feature to merge/organize libraries before.

Hope that helps.

-Nick
Thanks for the reply. Is there a way to not wind up with 2 of the same thing, as you say? I don't want to go through and delete a ton of duplicates.

Here's a different way of phrasing it:

I already have iTunes set to not copy to the library. There is only one file for each song. If I import a song twice, will I get two records of it in iTunes, even though it is only on my HD once?
QUOTE Thanks
The Vindicat3d

 
The Vindicat3d's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 05, 2007
Posts: 985
The Vindicat3d is a jewel in the roughThe Vindicat3d is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.

The Vindicat3d is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice View Post
Thanks for the reply. Is there a way to not wind up with 2 of the same thing, as you say? I don't want to go through and delete a ton of duplicates.

Here's a different way of phrasing it:

I already have iTunes set to not copy to the library. There is only one file for each song. If I import a song twice, will I get two records of it in iTunes, even though it is only on my HD once?
I'm not positive, but I think the answer is yes :/, you could try deleting your current library and than importing the entire library again, with the new songs and what not.

Use the Rep System!!

Check out my Blog-->Malevolent Poetry-Updated as of 4/4/08 and will be weekly.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

 
louishen's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
Location: London
Posts: 8,945
louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

louishen is offline
I have lost track of the amount of time I have answered this question, good that I now have a folder on my drive called common answers

To copy your itunes library to the external drive choose consolidate library from the Advanced Menu. This will copy all your itunes media to the external and link the itunes library file to it

Now if you you keep the Keep Itunes organised and copy to music folder checked in the advanced preferences, new songs will be copies to the external

The music will now be on the external while the library file (the index as it were) will still be in the Users > Music folder of your mac

If you want this library file on the external as well, copy it to the external drive, start itunes with the alt key pressed and you see this screen:



Select the library file you just copied to the external and now both your music and the library are on the external

You can now delete the stuff off your mac

You can also use the choose library dialogue to switch between your large music collection on the external and a smaller music folder on the mac if you wish
QUOTE Thanks
juice

 
Member Since: Mar 17, 2008
Posts: 57
juice is on a distinguished road

juice is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
I have lost track of the amount of time I have answered this question, good that I now have a folder on my drive called common answers

To copy your itunes library to the external drive choose consolidate library from the Advanced Menu. This will copy all your itunes media to the external and link the itunes library file to it

Now if you you keep the Keep Itunes organised and copy to music folder checked in the advanced preferences, new songs will be copies to the external

The music will now be on the external while the library file (the index as it were) will still be in the Users > Music folder of your mac

If you want this library file on the external as well, copy it to the external drive, start itunes with the alt key pressed and you see this screen:



Select the library file you just copied to the external and now both your music and the library are on the external

You can now delete the stuff off your mac

You can also use the choose library dialogue to switch between your large music collection on the external and a smaller music folder on the mac if you wish
Thanks for responding, but I think I may not have been clear enough about what I want, or maybe I am misunderstanding your solution.

I already have my library set up how I want it to be set up. I want to add a ton of music to this library folder. So I've simply copied the files to that library folder. However, if I go to reimport that entire library folder to iTunes, I'm going to lose my playcounts & playlists, is that correct?

I would like a way around that. The file count is too large for me to hunt and peck and manually add only the new ones.

Other music managers have a function that basically monitors your music library folder. Each time it boots up, it checks its library against your hard drive. If songs are in your library, but not your HD, then they will be removed. If new songs appear on your HD, they will be added to the library. However, duplicates will never be added.

Maybe I am just being thick-headed and not understanding how the Mac works?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

 
louishen's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
Location: London
Posts: 8,945
louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

louishen is offline
Well you can just set the location of your folder to an external in the preferences and disable the manage my itunes folder option

But the consolidate option will not destroy playlists and counts, but you will end up with 2 music collections, one of which you can delete when you think things are running well.

Try the consolidate option and see how it goes, but back-up your library XML file first so that you can switch back if things do not work out
QUOTE Thanks
juice

 
Member Since: Mar 17, 2008
Posts: 57
juice is on a distinguished road

juice is offline
After some searching, I came across this:

http://lifehacker.com/software/itune...ers-175161.php

That seems to describe my problem perfectly, but the solution is for Windows...
QUOTE Thanks
MacFanBoy

 
Member Since: Jan 06, 2008
Location: Hillbank, South Australia
Posts: 323
MacFanBoy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo

MacFanBoy is offline
Just import them all.
iTunes has an option to show and delete duplicates.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« n00b in need of assistance | Tips for keeping your Mac clean »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Music/ iTunes (probably newbie) Question Butch Cassidy Switcher Hangout 2 03-19-2008 02:03 PM
Noob iTunes question fishbulb iPod Hardware and Accessories 3 07-27-2007 05:37 PM
iTunes Tips And Tricks RJgamer iPod Hardware and Accessories 2 07-12-2007 11:59 AM
iTunes and hard drive format (PC) question hella iPod Hardware and Accessories 1 02-28-2007 03:34 PM
itunes question... evolve Schweb's Lounge 1 09-26-2005 06:51 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?