New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Tips for keeping your Mac clean

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Freddy

Freddy is on a distinguished road

Hi
I was wondering how you keep your mac clean and running? Which programs do you use to clean up you drive?

Well i think you have to pay attention when you have bootcamp installed, because i think mac can carry virusses and such things, and that might be dangerous when you have win installed. I'm not sure but i just don't think that having win on your mac is a good idea.

And i had onyx and clamxav installed, i respect clamxav but i think you don't really need it, but onyx is really a nice app.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

OnyX is ALL I use to keep my Mac clean and running at its optimum speed. I have been using it ever since I got my Mac and have been very pleased with it.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
dehaitest

dehaitest is on a distinguished road

You could try MainMenu (as well as OnyX) and ClamXav as an anti-virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Freddy

Freddy is on a distinguished road

I also use the firewall
System preferences > security > firewall

And i know you actually don't have to pay much attention with a mac, because it's very safe, but you never know.

Clamxav http://www.clamxav.com/
Onyx http://www.titanium.free.fr/
MainMenu http://www.santasw.com/
QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

You generally don't need to keep your mac 'clean'. This is because most of the applications you install are self-contained packages. Therefore most of the applications will not keep files all over the system (however some will, but very few). Most applications that are installed via simply dragging the application (from the disk image or dmg file) will have all the files needed for that application in one folder (which is the icon which you dragged to the applications folder).
QUOTE Thanks
KiwiJenn

KiwiJenn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver

I've asked this question too and have read a lot of info regarding maintaince for mac.

I downloaded Onyx and I didn't understand it so removed that. I then downloaded MainMenu and I only use this to run the three scripts. I've read that using programs like this can sometimes cause problems. For me I can't afford to get into problems as I've still learning all about the Mac OS X.

You might like to read this info
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/maintainingmacosx.html

Keeping your Mac clean of dropped uninstalled files, try AppDelete. I use it and it's great to remove 'all' files related to the application.

Also check for updates on third party applications.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Newbie iTunes Question | Oops, I've done something to my Downloads stack I think... »