New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mail and preview window

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gbeav

Gbeav is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16 Macbook

I've been trying to figure out a way to turn off the preview window in Mail so I'll never have a problem opening up a possible malicious email.

I have dragged it down so you can't see it but I'm not sure if this turns it off. I am just trying to make sure if I click on the email to choose to delete it I am not opening it.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
JohnTheMacGeek

JohnTheMacGeek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad

I wouldn't worry about "malicious email" too much. The main thing you want to avoid is clicking links in email that you are not 100% sure it came from. That's where you can run into things you may not want to run into. There is nothing in a message that can do anything without some sort of initiation from you.

QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Well... maybe not so. An HTML email is rendered by Webkit. And there are working exploits (pseudo hacks) for that. So I'd guess that any exploit of Safari's weakness can also be used in a crafty html email message.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
brianwmay

brianwmay has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g

Ahh, my problem is the other way around. I HAD the preview window but somehow have lost it and wish to turn it back on.

Any suggestions (besides I am not paranoid about email as I just bin anything I'm not sure about).

Thanks, (probably newbie finger trouble)
QUOTE Thanks
brianwmay

brianwmay has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g

What an absolute PLONKER!

I thought there must be a simple solution . . . there was, I put my mouse over the base of the page and noticed it turned into a 'T' shape. I then pulled the pane up to expose . . . . the PREVIEW pane.

Sorry - it's galloping senility.
QUOTE Thanks
boberonicus

boberonicus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTheMacGeek View Post
I wouldn't worry about "malicious email" too much.
Depends on your definition of "malicious". By default, mail renders the HTML in each message it opens. And spammers insert customized graphics into mail to help track the validity of email addresses. By viewing spam, you may be unintentionally confirming that you read it. That will get you more spam. I'd argue that disabling preview should be the default within mail.
QUOTE Thanks
mcscience

mcscience is on a distinguished road

I, too lost my preview pane.
I just spent 30 minutes trying to figure out how to get it back. Mail Help was useless. Just try searching on "preview" or "panel" or "pane" ....

Thank goodness for the Mac Forum. Thanks Brian for this post. No it's not senility, it's another example of poor documentation/support.

I'm beginning to feel more and more uncomfortable with this switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwmay View Post
What an absolute PLONKER!

I thought there must be a simple solution . . . there was, I put my mouse over the base of the page and noticed it turned into a 'T' shape. I then pulled the pane up to expose . . . . the PREVIEW pane.

Sorry - it's galloping senility.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Anyone here play Ricochet Lost Worlds? | Keyboard Shortcuts? »