New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

BlackBook vs Air vs Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ninjaboy

ninjaboy is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone,
As a previous Windows user, I have recently decided to make the switch to an Apple. I decided to get a laptop for the portability and convenience of being able to pick it up and use it throughout the house, even though it will probably be at my desk most of the time. But I am stuck between the BlackBook, the Macbook Air, and the Macbook Pro.

I will pretty much only use the computer for surfing, IM, and Microsoft Office. But occasionally I also like to play games. It would be nice to be able to play all my games on the Pro if I get it, but it is not a major issue as I can just play them on my Windows machine. As a power user, I have usually gone for the biggest and best model and that usually my mentality, but this time I am more willing to get a lower performing model. I also do not use many ports, with pretty much no use for an Expresscard slot and only maybe a USB or FireWire port for a Time Machine backup drive. Cost is somewhat of an issue, but it is always better to save a little cash.

Here's what I'm deciding between:

BlackBook
Pros:
Cheapest
Powerful processor
More portable than Pro
Personally, I like the chiclet keyboard better than the Pro's
Aesthetics - I think the MacBook looks stunning in black

Cons:
Integrated Graphics
Smaller screen

Macbook Air
Pros:
Portable
LED screen
Illuminated keyboard
Multi-touch
Chiclet keyboard
Cool factor

Cons:
Price premium
Slower processor
Slower and smaller hard drive
Lack of ports

Macbook Pro
Pros:
Fastest processor
Dedicated graphics
LED screen
Illuminated keyboard
Multi-touch
Bigger screen
Ability to play games
Uber ports

Cons:
Most expensive
Less portable

Overall I think the BlackBook is the best value with great processor power and hard drive space, but it lacks the dedicated graphics of the Pro and the other features of the Air and the Pro. The Macbook Air is in the middle with the features of the Pro at a lower price, but still has a price premium over the BlackBook for lower performance and hard drive space and fewer ports. However I probably do not even need any of those. It still has the cool factor though. Finally, the Macbook Pro has all the features of the Air but with the best processor and dedicated graphics. However, the major turn-off is the price. I am somewhat concerned about its portability because it is larger, but I don't know if i would really notice the difference. I also don't know if I would really use the dedicated graphics card as I can game on a different computer and apparently Leopard runs fine with the X3100, but I may be wrong.

So what do you guys think is the best choice?
QUOTE Thanks
JohnTheMacGeek

JohnTheMacGeek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad

Honestly, from what you described your best choice isn't on your list. The white, mid-range, MacBook would suite your needs perfectly! Just my $.02...

QUOTE Thanks
rcl1221

rcl1221 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.16GHz C2D, 160gb 5400rpm HD, 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I'd go Macbook.

IMO I'd say the MBA is the bottom of the pile, it's a very limited computer, and more of "hey look at me" thing than an actual usable computer. Has anyone ever complained by the thickness of their macbook?

The extra 2 inches of the MBP are really noticeable. I'm in college, and when I see the kids who schlep their MBP's to class, it's bigger footprint makes a difference with the little desks, and it's bulkier.

The MBP is not a laptop... it is a notebook. I make this distinction because those MBP's get hella hot!

Unless you game, or do heavy photo-video editing on a laptop, the pro isn't needed. The macbook can handle those tasks fine.

IMO the multitouch stuff is gimmicky, it doesn't really work too well when it's not on a screen. 2 finger scroll is the extent of multitouch i need on my laptop.

Backlit keyboards are also pretty gimmicky. Shouldn't we be fluent with QWERTY by now?

Blackbook if you must, but I think the premium on it is stupid.

But. If you decide to go on the refurb/used market, a MBP would be nice, especially if your laptop will be deskbound most of the time.

Can't touch this.

Richie's Randoms: My Blog
QUOTE Thanks
fld777

fld777 is on a distinguished road

i'm in the same shoe, i'll probably just get the macbook rather than the pro & save some $.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Get a regular MacBook brand new for $999 off the Apple for Education website. If you want to deck it out, buy 4gb of Ram from a 3rd party for $100. Don't buy memory from Apple.

Unless you're playing video games, you would never know it doesn't have it's own dedicated card. The video capabilities of the regular MacBook are outstanding. You won't be sorry.

With the money you'll save, you'll be able to buy an Xbox 360, a PS3 and a handful of games and then you won't care about the video card anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
The Vindicat3d

The Vindicat3d is a jewel in the roughThe Vindicat3d is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.

Jaygray gives good advice, but i'd say go with the BlackBook as I think you'll get a bit of a longer use span out of it due to the bigger HDD, plus if you're going to make a big purchase get the thing you know you'll be happiest with

Use the Rep System!!

Check out my Blog-->Malevolent Poetry-Updated as of 4/4/08 and will be weekly.
QUOTE Thanks
ogacon

ogacon has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs:  15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver

And to back up Vind, I heard, I don't know from where, that the BlackBook probably has a better re-sale value. I'm guessing when people are buying used laptops. It will be a 'cooler' look and if it's already low cost, they'll add a few more bucks for the better cosmetics. I would

Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
What sound does your Rooster make?
QUOTE Thanks
balzanto

balzanto is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, 250GB HDD, 4GB RAM

I also backup the suggestion to get the MacBook. My wife and I just converted from Windows to Apple. I got the MacBook Pro (needed the express card and Firewire 800 for specialized work) and she got the white MacBook, 2.4GHz processor, 160GB drive, 2GB ram. It is a killer machine. If I didn't need the express card or the firewire 800 ports, I would've bought the same MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
ninjaboy

ninjaboy is on a distinguished road

Cool. I think I'm going to get the MacBook then. Thanks for all your help guys.
QUOTE Thanks
rawmetal

rawmetal is an unknown at this point

you said you wanted to play some games on it if you like playing the latest ones get a macbook pro seems like your wanting more of a desktop replacement
QUOTE Thanks
PerryLynch

PerryLynch has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 4GB

I am a huge fan of my MBP. It's basically a server that you can fold up and carry with you. I'll admit, the Blackbook is sexy. And more than one of us on this forum has bought it for that reason more than any other.

I'll say this: If Apple brought out the MBA in black? It would fly off the shelves. And if the next MBP revision was in a black case, I'd be crying, 'cause there is no way I can justify a replacement of this before 2012!

Perry M Lynch, CISSP CISA
Mac Newbie, Security not-so-newbie
QUOTE Thanks
pixelkiller

pixelkiller is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4 - 17" - 4G RAM - 150G HD

Just get the MB and save your $
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Don't forget the MBP also has a larger screen and a its higher resolution then the MacBook and the Air. Its one of the major reasons I upgraded to a MBP from a MacBook. Also the MacBook and Air only come in Glossy displays with the MBP you have the choice.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Kinda a weird question... | sleep question MBP »