New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

changing the default print quality

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

berrill

berrill is on a distinguished road

How do I change the default print quality of my printer.

Currently its set to normal, I wish to change it to draft as to save ink

(I have gone to System Preferences Print & Fax and the only default that I can change is the paper size not the printing quality.)

Please help

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

When you are ready to print, go to File>Print and a selection box will/should pop up in which you can select print quality, best, better etc. Maybe you can set it to draft but the more ink you save the inferior the quality of the finished job.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Depending on the application, it can be a little tricky to find, but you are looking for a tab called "Paper Type/Quality". Every application puts it in a different place.

To get you started, here's where it is in Safari...

1. Select File > Print

2. Next to the name of your printer should be a little arrow. Click on the arrow to expand the print selection box.

3. Midway down is a selection box which defaults to "Safari". Click on this and select "Paper Type/Quality".

If it isn't there, then you may have a driver issue. You'll need the driver specific to your printer. The Gutenprint 5.1.3 (or whatever the number is) that Apple supplies doesn't usually give you an option to print black & white, draft, etc. It's very limited.

Also, you can have this problem if you're trying to use a print server. The Mac sees the print server instead of the printer attached to it and wants to use a generic driver.

See if any of this helps. If not, tell us exactly what you have and how it's connected, and we'll go from there.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I have an Epson printer, and the ability to change the print quality is something that is supported by the driver. When you issue File, Print, the print dialog that comes up allows me to do this.

What type and model of printer do you have? Perhaps someone who has the same type and model will be able to point you to the exact way to do it for your printer.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
berrill

I am using a HP Office jet 4355 All in One.

I have downloaded the latest drivers,

I can lower the quality, as you have described above, but I have to do this each and every time I print. For that reason I need to know how to change the default quality setting.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
boberonicus

boberonicus is on a distinguished road

Next time, select print but try pulling down the "preset" menu within print, then select "Last used settings" which should match what you did previously.

"preset" will then be set to "last used settings" even after you close and re-open the application. This will also be the case in other apps.

Robert
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

File > Print

The 2nd tab should be "Preset". Open this and there should be an option for Save As. You can save and name this setting. Also saves paper size. I have a default setting that prints in draft on 8.5x11. But I also have a preset setting for printing high quality on 11x17 paper.

Also, under the print type/quality setting, there is on option for Ink. This will allow you to increase/decrease the amount of ink volume that is used. I had to turn mine down a notch. The normal setting used a lot and it tended to bleed through the paper.
QUOTE Thanks
berrill

Jaygray, you have done it. Thats what I was looking for Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
D&M

D&M is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone, new Mac user here, just following your posts as I too was having trouble changing my printer quality settings, however when I pull down the File>Print selection box, I see different things than what you have said should come up? Instead of finding a "Paper Type/Quality" selection in the menu, the first default I come across is Layout, which when clicked on also yields, in a list, " colour matching, paper feed & handling among "printer features", which when selected and settings altered, does not seem to alter quality condition of print???????? Please help!!!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

No one is going to be able to help you if you don't give us any information about your Mac (model, year), which version of OS X you're running, and finally, which printer? (make, model)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using full screen... | Time capsule »