New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Maximizing windows & the Dock

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

imme

imme is on a distinguished road

When maximizing windows to the whole screen I find the dock gets in the way and coming from a windows background, im used to having a maximise button which will stretch the window the whole screen.

When you maximize windows, do you make the window fill the whole screen so the dock shows over the bottom of the window, or do you have the window so it finishes just above the dock so it does not get in the way? Im finding this is a pain.

Do you prefer to keep the dock on show all the time, or have it hide and why?

What position on the screen do you have to dock, bottom left or right?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by imme View Post
When maximizing windows to the whole screen I find the dock gets in the way and coming from a windows background, im used to having a maximise button which will stretch the window the whole screen.

When you maximize windows, do you make the window fill the whole screen so the dock shows over the bottom of the window, or do you have the window so it finishes just above the dock so it does not get in the way? Im finding this is a pain.

Do you prefer to keep the dock on show all the time, or have it hide and why?

What position on the screen do you have to dock, bottom left or right?
The green button does not do the same thing as the maximize button does in Windows (although on the surface it appears to). The green button is considered the "zoom" button, meaning, it will expand the window as large as needed so as to display everything within it. In some cases, it will fill all available screen space, but in general, it's just used to make the window open as large as it needs to in order to display the data within it properly.

Yet again, this is another eccentricity to OS X, and something you have to get used to when switching from Windows.

One of the ways you can keep the dock from obstructing your view is to have it auto-hide (System Preferences => Dock => "automatically hide and show the dock", or you can position it to the left or right (which usually yields the needed space since modern Macs all use a widescreen).

EDIT: Just to add that I keep my dock at the bottom, relatively small and use the zoom feature to offset the size.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
The Vindicat3d

The Vindicat3d is a jewel in the roughThe Vindicat3d is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.

I never have a window fill the whole screen (unless it needs full screen), because 1 the dock gets in the way (even though I keep it pretty small) and 2 i don't really see a real reason to need the extra inch that the dock takes up. especially going down, all it will reduce is the amount I have to scroll. I like to keep the dock showing all the time, just b/c it's easily accessible and I don't have to wait the extra second. The dock is on the bottom of my screen.

Use the Rep System!!

Check out my Blog-->Malevolent Poetry-Updated as of 4/4/08 and will be weekly.
QUOTE Thanks
MACyMouse

MACyMouse has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs

my windows don't fill the screen either and prefer smaller windows. I have this odd need to see my desktop in the background for some reason. My dock is at the bottom and small. The auto hide feature on the dock drives me nuts so I don't use it.
QUOTE Thanks
iLindzo

iLindzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads

I can't stand having one window take up the whole screen. I have so much going on all the time that I like to be able to use the space I have and keep things just the size needed.

And... I keep my dock on auto-hide. I like things to be clean, and with the dock up.. it just doesn't look as good IMO.

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at their computers.
QUOTE Thanks
mojonandha

mojonandha will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive

Yes being a switcher it was a little annoying that the maximize button doesnt really make it to full screen. And the Dock always gets in the way. So i did autohide and magnify just like all the other ppl.
QUOTE Thanks
The Vindicat3d

The Vindicat3d is a jewel in the roughThe Vindicat3d is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLindzo View Post
I can't stand having one window take up the whole screen. I have so much going on all the time that I like to be able to use the space I have and keep things just the size needed.

And... I keep my dock on auto-hide. I like things to be clean, and with the dock up.. it just doesn't look as good IMO.
I agree with you on that, it does look much cleaner, but if you hack the dock and do some of that fancy stuff I think you can make it look pretty good with your background.

And as everyone else said the green button is to make the window as big as the page needs to be so there will be little or no scroll bars, why would you need it bigger than the page needs to be anyway?

Use the Rep System!!

Check out my Blog-->Malevolent Poetry-Updated as of 4/4/08 and will be weekly.
QUOTE Thanks
ogacon

ogacon has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs:  15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver

Well even with this site currently, im on my windows (still need my darned mac!) I have it miximized completely, and the page spreads to fill the window, not the other way around. If i go to window mode, and resize box, the size of the page changes. Just how it works... I'd think it would too on a Mac as all it is doing is reading the page code...

Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
What sound does your Rooster make?
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

This image shows a popular web page in Internet Explorer on Windows XP, maximized, and the same page in Safari on Mac OS X, zoomed, on the same display.

Maximizing has always been wasteful, but a widescreen monitor really shows you how silly it gets.
QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post

This image shows a popular web page in Internet Explorer on Windows XP, maximized, and the same page in Safari on Mac OS X, zoomed, on the same display.

Maximizing has always been wasteful, but a widescreen monitor really shows you how silly it gets.
that picture pretty much sums up the whole argument!
QUOTE Thanks
Newground

Newground is on a distinguished road

Except... when one uses two monitors instead of a single very large one.

With two monitors, it's quite nice to be able to maximize the screen, so as to remain focused on the chosen work at hand without the distraction of other visual elements.

Then, use command(alt)-tab to switch between applications, or click the desired icon on the dock. And of course, drag-and-drop from one monitor to the other.

Totally a personal preference, granted, but the double-click-to-maximize and then double-click-to-UNmaximize is one tiny element that I do miss from the Windows days, because it allowed me to size the way I wanted and also to move views around with much less mouse motion.
QUOTE Thanks
HonestIllusion

HonestIllusion is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Getting a Macbook Pro i7 in June. I also own an iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vindicat3d View Post
I agree with you on that, it does look much cleaner, but if you hack the dock and do some of that fancy stuff I think you can make it look pretty good with your background.
Could you link me to some fancy dock hacks? Thanks.

Don't know what I'm supposed to say, but I keep speaking these words anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACyMouse View Post
I have this odd need to see my desktop in the background for some reason. My dock is at the bottom and small. The auto hide feature on the dock drives me nuts so I don't use it.
That's not odd at all. I like to see the icons I have on the Desktop. But, I do hide the Dock. It pops up when I don't want it to from time to time, but that doesn't bother me.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Some applications will remember how you resized your window from the last time, and hitting the zoom button will expand it to that size. There is also a little tool called RightZoom, which makes the zoom button maximize completely in most applications.
QUOTE Thanks
quin

quin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ

I use Firefox. It saved any zoom setting for my windows. I like to maximize for purpose of easier reading. So I maximized , then zoom the page to filled to the edge. Makes for much easier reading of web pages. If you like to maximize get Cinch. It's free or donate. You can instantly maximize by dragging the window to the top edge of the screen. Or half vertical screen size by dragging to the left or right of screen edge. Very useful. To switch in between windows or opened apps, I use Active Corner settings on Preference or 4finger swipe.

I love my MBP! 5 months into my switch. Should have paid the extra money and switch years earlier.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unable to rename files on external HD | I think my MacBook has spyware. Please help! »