New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

What's the proper file system to use for Windows & OSX

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

heinz1218

heinz1218 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 3rd gen 2.4 GHz, 256 vid 4gb ram 250 hdd

I'd like to format an external in two partitions, one for Time Machine and the other to drag/drop movies, pictures, etc. What type of partition should I use on the second partition so that a Windows machine can at least read these movies?

Also, is there any way to exclude files from being copied? I have some stuff on my computer that I don't want backed up.
QUOTE Thanks
rohan

rohan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Quad i7, 16GB | 27" iMac 3.1 GHz Quad i5 12GB| OS X.x | iPhone 4 iOS 7.1.2

for your first question....use the ms-dos format while making the partition (this is the same as fat 32)
it can be read & written to by both operating systems
if you format as ntfs...windows can both read & write...but your mac will only be able to read...you will need a 3rd party software like paragon ntfs to enable writing on a mac

<< i can explain it to you...but i can't understand it for you... >>
QUOTE Thanks
heinz1218

heinz1218 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 3rd gen 2.4 GHz, 256 vid 4gb ram 250 hdd

is there a limitation to FAT as to how large files can be? I seem to remember something about that. It doesn't need to be secure or anything like that...
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinz1218 View Post
is there a limitation to FAT as to how large files can be? I seem to remember something about that. It doesn't need to be secure or anything like that...
Yes, the single file size limit in FAT32 is 4GB or less. If you have a file right at 4GB it will error if you try to copy it to a FAT32 Partition. For most average users that is not really an issue but if you are into Video Editing, file size gets quite large. I have had videos I was working on grow to 25GB and more before I saved and converted to the final product.

Few other files are that large though. It really depends on what you do on your computer. You can make it NTFS as long as you get Paragon or MacFuse in OSX. On the Windows side though you can get Mac Drive and both read and write to a Mac formatted partition. So you have a few options.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Avoid FAT32 like the plague. Check out this thread about one guy's problems when using it, and one of my responses there.

I personally wouldn't install any software to let Windows write to HFS+ volumes.. that would allow any malicious malware to affect OS X's files. Instead... format that partition for your media using NTFS. There are now free alternatives that will allow OS X to have write access to NTFS volumes (normally, OS X can only read NTFS volumes), although reportedly they write a bit slower than normal. I don't expect that should be a big deal for how you will use it. You'll need two packages to install: MacFUSE and NTFS-3G. Read the directions carefully.

As for an exclusions list on the Time Machine... yes, it does have one. Just add what you don't want backed up. The backups get VERY large, so I personally excluded my System Folder, Apps folder, and /Library. I keep a backup bootable copy of the OS on another drive, so I can easily recover anything from there for those folders if it's THAT important (highly unlikely).
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
I personally wouldn't install any software to let Windows write to HFS+ volumes.. that would allow any malicious malware to affect OS X's files
This is EXCELLENT advice, particularly for machines running both OS X and Windows (via Boot Camp, VMWare Fusion or some other). Ignore at your peril!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
websee

websee is on a distinguished road

Has anyone tryed a UDF formatted hard drive?
It is apparently being supported by pretty much all common OS.

I will be getting a MBP next week and want to have a shared data partition for OS X and Vista x64. Was thinking of trying a
HFS+ OS X System Partition
NTFS Vista System Partition
UDF 2.60 Shared Data Partition

anyone knows if this is possible?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macro maker? | how do you create a new paragraph on MS Word for Mac? »