New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

want to double click to maximize

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

soundsystem00

soundsystem00 is an unknown at this point

when i double click the top of the active window it shrinks, I want it to maximuize

what do i do?

thx!!!
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

If you want your Mac to be like Windows, then why not just use Windows? Anyway, maximize is not something that's done on a regular basis on the mac so I don't think there is such a hack. You could give a keyboard shortcut for the "zoom" function (the green button) if you've like.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsystem00 View Post
when i double click the top of the active window it shrinks, I want it to maximuize

what do i do?

thx!!!
You can turn off the "Minimize when double-clicking a window title bar" option in System Preferences => Appearance, but there's is no option to have it maximize.

It's just a Mac thing...

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Tigerotor77w

Tigerotor77w is on a distinguished road

goobimama, out of curiosity -- the green button. How does it work? If I open, say, iPhoto, clicking it makes it the size of the screen, but if I do the same thing in a Finder window, it either stretches the window to full screen width or shrinks the window to the first sub-folder category.
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

The zoom feature is a weird feature which takes a little time getting used to. With Zoom, OS X resizes the window to fit the contents. Now iPhoto and many others' zoom feature just plain maximises the window fully cause that's the way it has been programmed. But if you try the zoom button on say a web page, it will resize the web page to fit the contents of the page. Just what is required.

Now zoom has two states. One is the user state, and one is the zoom state. User state is what the user had resized the window to be, and zoom is what the OS thinks it is. Surprisingly, Finder is the worst when it comes to the zoom feature. You often get weird results with Finder. Safari is so far the best with zoom.

I'm not sure if I've explained it right. Maybe there's some link or something which puts this in proper perspective...
QUOTE Thanks
MikeIsGood

MikeIsGood will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2010 MBP | 15" 2.4 GHz i5, 4GB

Just for clarification, to resize the window you click and drag in the bottom right portion of any window to resize it. That's what was just mentioned by goobimama as user state.

I just learned that myself, so I thought I'd share for any other new user that might be unaware. If you already knew that, well, GBPH
QUOTE Thanks
hexonxonx

hexonxonx will become famous soon enough

Quote:

what do i do?

thx!!!
You can maximize Safari very easily with one click.

On THIS page, is how to do this. On that page, simply drag the shortcut to your shortcuts bar and click on it. Safari will go full screen.

20" iMac aluminum
13" MBP
3 iPhones
QUOTE Thanks
Tigerotor77w

Tigerotor77w is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies! Between the responses here and at Maximizing windows & the Dock, I think I've found my answer.

I'm a switcher, and part of the reason I kept the windows in XP fully maximized (particularly in Firefox) was to display all eleven of my bookmarks in the bookmarks bar visible. I've since renamed them and can use the zoom button -- thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
The Vindicat3d

The Vindicat3d is a jewel in the roughThe Vindicat3d is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerotor77w View Post
Thanks for the replies! Between the responses here and at Maximizing windows & the Dock, I think I've found my answer.

I'm a switcher, and part of the reason I kept the windows in XP fully maximized (particularly in Firefox) was to display all eleven of my bookmarks in the bookmarks bar visible. I've since renamed them and can use the zoom button -- thanks for your help!
I used to have that issue, what I've done is put them all into folders that have categories, such as Games, Apple, and Work, since I'll have 11 in each category alone it works out great and I don't have to worry about picking and choosing what I want in my bookmarks bar

Use the Rep System!!

Check out my Blog-->Malevolent Poetry-Updated as of 4/4/08 and will be weekly.
QUOTE Thanks
soundsystem00

soundsystem00 is an unknown at this point

Thank you for your reply, but I was talking more in the lines of any window. Everytime I double click it minimizes. I don't like it.
QUOTE Thanks
The Vindicat3d

The Vindicat3d is a jewel in the roughThe Vindicat3d is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.

Quote:
Thank you for your reply, but I was talking more in the lines of any window. Everytime I double click it minimizes. I don't like it.
Yeah we got that, but that is just how the Mac operating system works.. yes it is different from windows, and will probably need some getting used to... so get used to it lol, it would be pretty convenient to be able to double click to Zoom, but I think it is more convenient do it it in one click which is why this was brought up in an earlier post, I think that should fix your problem, should it not?

Use the Rep System!!

Check out my Blog-->Malevolent Poetry-Updated as of 4/4/08 and will be weekly.
QUOTE Thanks
ogacon

ogacon has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs:  15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver

what do you mean Zoom? I've read people saying they use zoom all the time, you mean the trackpad zoom feature? Making things smaller and bigger to fit in window or is there something I don't know about yet...

Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
What sound does your Rooster make?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogacon View Post
what do you mean Zoom? I've read people saying they use zoom all the time, you mean the trackpad zoom feature? Making things smaller and bigger to fit in window or is there something I don't know about yet...
The green button, which is in the position (albeit along the left side of the window title bar) that maximize resides in on Windows is not a maximize button. It is what Apple refers to as the "zoom" button. The zoom button maximizes a window as large as necessary to display the window content.

To the OP: Mac OS X and Windows are obviously not the same thing. You'll need to unlearn the things you've learned in Windows, and start picking up Mac habits, or you will find yourself constantly annoyed. After all, you switched to Mac because you wanted something different. You can either embrace the differences, or stick to your guns and find yourself frustrated.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
ogacon

ogacon has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs:  15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver

albiet? I've seen this and ALAIK or something... what do they mean! Ahhh!

Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
What sound does your Rooster make?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogacon View Post
albiet? I've seen this and ALAIK or something... what do they mean! Ahhh!
It's your new word for the day!

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/albeit

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« About To buy A Mac Pro: A Couple Of Questions | Urgent ! anyone has a recommendation for webcam messager »