New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

To wait, or not to wait? That is the question...


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
ogacon

 
ogacon's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 16, 2008
Location: Twin Cities (Suburbs) Minnesota
Posts: 645
ogacon has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs:  15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver

ogacon is offline
Well... I can buy my firt MacBook Pro tomorrow... or I can wait till the supposed update in June. I want it for the summer though, and I can expect a late update in late June or early July, and that is 1/3 of the summer already gone. Then I would need to wait for shipping... get home and all that wonderful stuff. But, the main question is, if I buy a MBP right now... and treat it like a baby like I will, will the resale value be enough and worth it to just sell it once the new MBP's come out if I really want to update (I won't need to if there is no layout/design change that I really don't want...), to just lose like $400 or something... It would be like paying $400 more the day I buy my MBP for a better MBP. That true? or am I being too optimistic with the resale value of a 3 month old computer (if I even would want to upgrade IF there are really nice updates, so that is taking a chance at waiting for something I may not even need... when I could just get it NOW! Instagratification! )? Sorry for the long post... Thanks in advanced for your input!

Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
What sound does your Rooster make?
QUOTE Thanks
biffyiffy

 
Member Since: Dec 05, 2006
Posts: 96
biffyiffy can only hope to improve

biffyiffy is offline
Of course there is no guarantee, but you likely would be able to re-sell the MBP for at least $400 less of the purchase price. Possibly even more. So if having it now, then getting the newest thing is worth a $400 hit, I say go for it.

I just sold a mac mini with 19" Samsung LCD monitor for $770. I paid $799 for the mini and $300 for the monitor about 2yr ago. So I sold that for only $330 less than I paid 2yr ago. Macs seem to retain resell value very well.
QUOTE Thanks
pixelkiller

 
Member Since: Oct 25, 2007
Posts: 39
pixelkiller is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4 - 17" - 4G RAM - 150G HD

pixelkiller is offline
never wait for the updates. you can wait for the updates over and over and over again. If you NEED a new computer then by it now. if you dont NEED a new computer then wait.

its very easy to get stuck into the loop of waiting for updates. and even if you do wait for this new update and then buy it, in a few months another update will be released.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

 
Jaygray's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 04, 2008
Posts: 1,115
Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Jaygray is offline
Don't wait. By June or July, there will be another update on the horizon in the autumn. It never ends...

Also use the student discount or buy refurb. If you sell, the amount between the sale price and the purchase price will be negligible.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

 
bryphotoguy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 02, 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,978
bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

bryphotoguy is offline
I wouldn't wait. If you want it for summer use, I wouldn't hold my breathe for a June release. There won't be any big advancement in technology come summertime. The update processor technology with the new trackpad was big but not all that significant. Next update won't see much IMO.


January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

 
mac57's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 29, 2006
Location: St. Somewhere
Posts: 4,560
mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

mac57 is offline
There just WAS an update to the MacBook Pro, no? Faster processor, bigger hard drives, new trackpad stuff. Quite a nice overall update. Don't wait. The next upgrades will be to the iMac and the Mini in my opinion. These are the only two members of the line up that have not seen recent updates.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
ogacon

 
ogacon's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 16, 2008
Location: Twin Cities (Suburbs) Minnesota
Posts: 645
ogacon has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs:  15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver

ogacon is offline
Thanks guys... you made me feel better about wanting to buy it now Soon... I'll have it and I'll post pics of the beautiful machine!

Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
What sound does your Rooster make?
QUOTE Thanks
pixelkiller

 
Member Since: Oct 25, 2007
Posts: 39
pixelkiller is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4 - 17" - 4G RAM - 150G HD

pixelkiller is offline
good stuff.

once you have ordered it and your waiting for it to arrive, you can look at some lovely accessories for it, if your going to be using it on your lap i recommend buying the lapinator as that reduces a most if not all of the heat from your legs.
QUOTE Thanks
ogacon

 
ogacon's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 16, 2008
Location: Twin Cities (Suburbs) Minnesota
Posts: 645
ogacon has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs:  15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver

ogacon is offline
is that a generic term? or do you have a link to it? Thx

edit: with 5 seconds of being unlazy, i found it! haha... go me!

Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
What sound does your Rooster make?
QUOTE Thanks
pixelkiller

 
Member Since: Oct 25, 2007
Posts: 39
pixelkiller is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4 - 17" - 4G RAM - 150G HD

pixelkiller is offline
lol there are a lot more choices aswell, i went into a lot of research and although there are better looking alternatives they are much bigger and a lot more expensive.

You might also want to consider getting a trackpad protector after using mine for only two months i started seeing the shiny spot because id polished the plastic down. so i went out and got a skinstyler protector uploaded my own design got it and installed it with no problems whatsoever.

http://www.skinstyler.com/

Also you might want to check out some bags. i went out and got a nice booq bag just because these are bags ive always liked they are very well made and good looking i think, i got the red mamba pack

http://www.booqbags.com/

even though the bag provides a lot of protection i also bought a nice tight sleeve to protect it from scratches etc i got mine from

http://www.radtech.us/Products/SleevzNotebooks.aspx

Some other things i bought were screen cleaners etc, hope my info helped you a little
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Photo Booth? | password reset? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Buy MacbookPro now or wait for Leopard? hobs707 Apple Notebooks 24 07-30-2007 03:43 AM
The long wait.... kuklachica Switcher Hangout 10 07-18-2007 04:35 PM
Wait for Leopard? Stang68 OS X - Operating System 3 05-30-2007 03:50 PM
To wait or not to wait Everett Apple Notebooks 4 12-26-2005 12:15 AM
newbie browser question peterbt Switcher Hangout 3 01-06-2004 12:34 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?