Specs:
    Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
    Using Time Capsule as a Print Server
    When I switched over from XP, I was disappointed with the compatibility of the Mac and my D-Link print server. My Mac could see the print server, but not the printer attached. Thus I was stuck with the generic Gutenprint driver. It worked, but I couldn't adjust any print settings, print in draft, print in greyscale, etc. It sucked! I finally gave up and went back to the USB cable so I could use a proper print driver.

From reading the forums, I understand that others had this same experience.

I just got my Time Capsule, and I'm happy to say that the USB Print Server feature works well. It allows me to use the proper HP driver, and I can now print wirelessly using all the same options I have when plugged in via USB. I assume the same would be true using AirPort Extreme.

I was having the exact same problem as you. I have the DPR-1260 and an HP Officejet 5610. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get it to work, and the "geniuses" at D-Link telephone support didn't know, either, even though it says Mac is supported on the DPR-1260 box.

I had just about given up and was going to bite the bullet and get a time capsule, when I stumbled upon this article on the web:

http://www.dlinkblogs.com/?bid=14

After downloading the proper open source print drivers as outlined in the article, I am happy to say that I can now print wirelessly from my Macbook using the DPR-1260!

I know you probably don't care now that you have Time Capsule, but I thought I'd post this in case anyone else out there is having the same problem and doesn't want to shell out several hundred dollars for a TC.

Specs:
    Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaygray View Post
    When I switched over from XP, I was disappointed with the compatibility of the Mac and my D-Link print server. My Mac could see the print server, but not the printer attached. Thus I was stuck with the generic Gutenprint driver. It worked, but I couldn't adjust any print settings, print in draft, print in greyscale, etc. It sucked! I finally gave up and went back to the USB cable so I could use a proper print driver.

From reading the forums, I understand that others had this same experience.

I just got my Time Capsule, and I'm happy to say that the USB Print Server feature works well. It allows me to use the proper HP driver, and I can now print wirelessly using all the same options I have when plugged in via USB. I assume the same would be true using AirPort Extreme.
    You are correct. The Time Capsule is nothing more than an Airport Extreme with a server grade HD inside. I'm looking forward to picking up an AE this Saturday. My LinkSys WRT54G finally died so that gives me the prime opportunity to upgrade!

Thread Information