New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

What happens if...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iSheep

I'm too scared to do it, but, what happens if I drag Macintosh HD to the Trash?
QUOTE Thanks
ldj

lol, i have no idea, as im scared to try aswell
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Doesn't let you.

Go ahead and try nothing happens

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

It will display a message that says "DOES NOT COMPUTE!" and begin to make a lound whirring noise, building into a deafening roar. Sparks will shoot out of the CD drive and USB ports. The monitor will blink in odd colored patterns, slowly at first, and then flashing faster and faster. The roaring noise will reach a high-pitched crescendo, and the Mac will explode.

(Actually, it'll say something like "You can't eject the startup device.")
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Doing so may make your monitor explode in a shower of glass. EVEN LCDs, WHICH DON'T CONTAIN ANY GLASS! It may make your children grow horns, and cause the people in your neighborhood to explode spontaneously while doing the Macarena. It will rip out your eyeballs, and eat your soul with a really dull spoon, laughing and cackling while forcing Cheerios up your nose. It will make your intestines explode in a rain of confetti, while evil clowns bite your feet. Don't say I didn't warn you.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

No no no... It will cause the starship Enterprise to come out of the monitor and hover randomly around the room. Then this will happen:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bunnypcak.jpg (16.6 KB, 29 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Funny people around here...

Anyway, from a technical point of view:
If you drag a HD-icon from the desktop to the trash, the disk gets just unmounted, not erased. You can remount it using Disk Utility, or reboot the Mac.
Of course, you can't unmount the system disk, as it's currently running...

So don't worry, nothing bad will happen
QUOTE Thanks
Graeme43

Graeme43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: I love student discount (sig)

If you drag it to trash it says its currently in use

iBook G3 (2001) 500MHz 384 RAM 9.2.2 / 10.2.8
Titanium PowerBook G4 (2001) 500MHz 768 RAM 9.2.2/10.2.8
Mac Pro (2007) 4x2.66GHz, 6GB RAM, 10.6.7
iPad 3G + iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
iSheep

That's a very good point, I forgot it would just try and dismount it.

Thank you. I'm always very curious.
QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

Here is a pic of what would happen:
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
It will display a message that says "DOES NOT COMPUTE!" and begin to make a lound whirring noise, building into a deafening roar. Sparks will shoot out of the CD drive and USB ports. The monitor will blink in odd colored patterns, slowly at first, and then flashing faster and faster. The roaring noise will reach a high-pitched crescendo, and the Mac will explode.

LOL!!! I got a good kick out of that. Thanks for making my otherwise dull day at work, a little better.

I work at Intel, so I can assure you there are no Macs here.

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Quote:
Doing so may make your monitor explode in a shower of glass. EVEN LCDs, WHICH DON'T CONTAIN ANY GLASS! It may make your children grow horns, and cause the people in your neighborhood to explode spontaneously while doing the Macarena. It will rip out your eyeballs, and eat your soul with a really dull spoon, laughing and cackling while forcing Cheerios up your nose. It will make your intestines explode in a rain of confetti, while evil clowns bite your feet. Don't say I didn't warn you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist

Hah, that's nothing.

Here's what will happen:
You will become impotent for the rest of your life
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Launch Application with a set Keystroke? | games for mac »