New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New MacBook Pro -- Slow??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

juice

juice is on a distinguished road

Howdy!

First post here... treat me kindly

I got a new MacBook Pro on clearance recently -- about 2 weeks ago. It's the 15" 2.2 ghz, 2 gb RAM model. I was coming off of a 5 year old PC, so I was really hoping for some blazing speed.

So far, I've been a little disappointed. To give you an idea on how long it is taking, I'm just thinking of some examples:

To add album artwork to 10 songs in iTunes: ~15-20 seconds
To open iTunes: ~10-15 seconds
Opening GarageBand: ~90-120 seconds

Overall, it just feels like a sub-par machine. Was I expecting too much? What's a good way to measure this?
QUOTE Thanks
The Skeptik

The Skeptik is an unknown at this point

You were expecting to much. I know because so was I. Your best bet is to do what I did and return it and get a pc with twice the power for the same price. Obviously some people like the MBP but you can get much better from Dell. Unless you have a Mac Pro your really not up to speed.
QUOTE Thanks
theonegod

theonegod has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro

Show me this twice as powerfull dell laptop which you think you have found?
QUOTE Thanks
The Vindicat3d

The Vindicat3d is a jewel in the roughThe Vindicat3d is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.

Try downloading a program like Onyx and running the maintenance scripts that does seem like something might be a bit fishy.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

You're expecting too much. I have a Mac Pro and it's not lightning quick. Don't get me wrong, it's a powerhouse but it still takes 10 seconds to add artwork to an album.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
rohan

rohan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Quad Core i7, 16GB | 27" iMac 3.1 GHz Core i5 OS X.9.0 | iPhone 4 iOS 7.0.3

the last time i checked (right before buying my mac) any dell configured to match the macbook pro's config as close as possible wound up costing pretty much the same...thats one of the reasons i go this baby coz i would rather pay this much to get a mac than a pc...

juice...having OS updates hlps a lot...so if you dont already have all necessary updates ...get them...
onyx or any such maintenace tool is always good to have...run the scrips...repair permissions...you may see some improvements...

<< i can explain it to you...but i can't understand it for you... >>
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice View Post
Howdy!

First post here... treat me kindly

I got a new MacBook Pro on clearance recently -- about 2 weeks ago. It's the 15" 2.2 ghz, 2 gb RAM model. I was coming off of a 5 year old PC, so I was really hoping for some blazing speed.

So far, I've been a little disappointed. To give you an idea on how long it is taking, I'm just thinking of some examples:

To add album artwork to 10 songs in iTunes: ~15-20 seconds
To open iTunes: ~10-15 seconds
Opening GarageBand: ~90-120 seconds

Overall, it just feels like a sub-par machine. Was I expecting too much? What's a good way to measure this?
Hang on a second here. My iTunes with a library size spanning 3 different drives with hundreds of GB of media sometimes takes quite a while to load. How much media are you dealing with here?

Adding artwork is really just running a script to edit each individual file, this can take a while depending on artwork size, etc.

Garage Band is loading many many samples upon starting, mine takes about this long to start.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
Chrisblaze

Chrisblaze is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.5ghz MBP 2gb ram, 200gb 7200rmp hd, 512mb 8600gt

I have a 2.5 mbp and it take my Garageband about 3-4 secs to open. I would call Apple Care and go make a Genius Bar Apt before sending the machine back.
QUOTE Thanks
INTELligent

INTELligent can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Mac Mini

One of the many reasons I didn't buy a Mac when I bought my laptop... I got a Dell for $1600 that is on par with a ~$2000 Macbook Pro...
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTELligent View Post
One of the many reasons I didn't buy a Mac when I bought my laptop... I got a Dell for $1600 that is on par with a ~$2000 Macbook Pro...
What does that have to do this thread? A similar spec Dell will run the same as an Apple.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
nZa

nZa has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.8Ghz MBP

I'm on the same machine (2.2, 2gig, MBP), and Garageband just opened in 6 seconds.

Something in wrong with yer laptop. Get to an Apple Store!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
SJTV1

SJTV1 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15,4" MBP 2,4 GHz, 2MB RAM, 250 GB HDD (Seagate aftermarket), Leopard, Logitech V470.

Quote:
To be a bit O/T:
Oh really? Which one? How much does it weight? How long do the batteries last? Cause benig Wintel user till recently I've spent 2 months trying to find pa Wintel machine that would match MBP (in performance AND screen size AND weight AND battery life) and I just couldnt (price was not one of the ciriteria) ...
So?
QUOTE Thanks
calenerd

calenerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac

Quote:
But with the MBP, although it's a tad more costlier, you get ease-of-use, a more superior software and OS, and no more sleepless nights

The dark is passion, the light is logic.
QUOTE Thanks
DarkKnight369

DarkKnight369 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MBP, 2.5Ghz Penryn Processor, 4GB of RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, High Res LED 17" Screen

First of all, sounds like your MBP probably has a 5400RPM hard drive. If your PC was a desktop, it probably had a 7200 RPM hard drive. Some of the programs will only open as fast as that hard drive will spin to access them.

Order a Dell Desktop and see what happens with Vista. My brother has the 13" (maybe 14") XPS laptop with Vista and it was a Joke. The thing was so buggy, he ended up putting Linux on the machine. I too have priced out both an MBP and Dell XPS laptop with similar specs and they were very similar in price, the Dell might have even been a little more expensive.

I have 2 laptops at work, a maxed out pre-recent refresh MBP and a Dell Latitude with similar specs. Well, the Dell can only utilize 3GB out of the 4GB of RAM I installed in it because XP will only recognize that much. In comparison, the MBP smokes the Dell. The Dell's Hard Drive is 5400 RPM vs. 7200RPM. and the processor is a little slower. Even simple things like browsing the internet is ridiculously faster off the same connection.

I hated Macs for ever, and always though PCs would get me by. After all the stuff I have been hearing about Vista, being tired of dealing with Windows, and my positive experience with the Mac at work, I ordered my own personally and made the switch. (It should be here tomorrow!)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to get show every application open on screen? | smb file sharing without mapping every folder? »