Thread: OS X Questions

mimmyhonker
    Question OS X Questions
    Well, my Powerbook should arrive late next week. Being a Windows user for some 20 years or so (the last Apple OS I used was Apple Basic lol), I am wondering if I will find OS X easy to use. Would you be so kind as to answer these questions for me?

1. Is OS X really more stable than Windows?
    2. Is it aas functional as Windows? In other words, with a right click menu, can you accomplish the same things?
    3. How long will it take me to learn OS X, if I am very proficient in Windows?

Thanks!

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
    Quote Originally Posted by mimmyhonker
    2. Is it aas functional as Windows? In other words, with a right click menu, can you accomplish the same things?
    1. Yes, most definitely yes. I have never crashed the operating system, although I have crashed applications, but it doesnt take the whole operating system down with it. I am a poweruser also and have a lot of gidgets and gadgets, plus apache/mysql etc etc running on my laptop.

2. I purchased a Kensington 4 button, with scrollwheel mouse. Any 2 button mouse will do all that fun right click stuff. Or you can hit the CTRL key with your one button mouse and access the context menu's, but I would advise a two button mouse if that's what you are used to.. and even if you arent.. still do it

3. I would say you will constantly be learning, I know I am. But to get proficient with it.. I would say a week of constant use and you'll feel pretty comfortable with it. It is extremely easy to use. You just need to figure out where certain things are stored and how to navigate and you have all the beginning stuff out of the way and then after that as needs arise you'll learn.. it is quite easy.. and then coming to a site like this one, you can usually get all your questions answered real quick like!

Cheers!

Specs:
    MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
    Quote Originally Posted by mimmyhonker
    Well, my Powerbook should arrive late next week. Being a Windows user for some 20 years or so (the last Apple OS I used was Apple Basic lol), I am wondering if I will find OS X easy to use. Would you be so kind as to answer these questions for me?

Thanks!
    Congrats with the new mac!
    Well 20 years ago Apples and IBMs were basically the same thing.
    1. even mac classic is more stable than windows.

2. More functional, you only have one mouse button, but control - click is the same thing. Though apple does support multibutton mouses. Ive plugged one into mine and it accually showed up a scroll speed for the scroll wheel.

3. You can expect yourself to be at the same level in windows with in the first hours or so. Next week you should be ahead in the game!
    Ull never stop teaching yourself. Classes are not needed. Its easy!

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    I agree with both Murlyn and Graphite. I really thing you will enjoy the Mac OS X environment.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

hokiethang
    Quote Originally Posted by rman
    I agree with both Murlyn and Graphite. I really thing you will enjoy the Mac OS X environment.
    I agree with all three of them. Picking up OS X was so much easier than learning linux and windows. I was doing so much with OS X on the second day, that took me a month or more to learn how to do with windows and linux, back in the day.

Thread Information