Last Minute Question
    In an attempt to save money I am really thinking what the real difference between the 2.4ghz Macbook and the 2.4ghz Macbook pro? Besides the apparent bigger screen and dedicated video card... what else it the benefit to getting the macbook pro over the macbook if any?

Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    You also get the backlit keyboard

June 2007
    July 2009

If you are planning on doing extensive video editing or handling large audio files for editing, etc. then you should get the MacBook Pro. But if you just need a machine for basic web surfing, email, some Photoshop editing, etc. then get the MacBook.
    New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB

Specs:
    Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
    Well if you are going to be working with videos and photos the bigger screen would definitely be really helpful, I know that the 13.3" screen has been a real restriction to me.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro Unibody
    I got the Pro because of the extensive Lightroom and Photoshop work that I do. I wanted the bigger screen and the extra power. The backlit keyboard is a nice touch.
    masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am

Specs:
    Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
    Like everyone else said, it really boils down to how much video editing you're gonna do with it. Personally, I like my MB's 13.3 screen. I prefer the mobility over screen size. Besides, with Leopard's Spaces, I don't find the screen size limiting at all! Just my $.02...

Specs:
    Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
    Cleaner look because of the aluminum
    LED screen is supposedly incredible
    The larger HD and
    Everything else mentioned.

I'd choose the MBP over any MB any day of the week.

January 2008 Member of the Month

Specs:
    Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
    I seriously considered the same question and went with the MacBook. Portability was the primary consideration--along with a $600 savings. I've been very happy thus far.

Well as far as hard drives... the macbook 2.4 can be configured to have a bigger hard drive that the one the macbook pro 2.4 is stocked with...

What I primarily use is Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Logic and Pro Tools ... I don't do any video work but would like to learn Final Cut one day...

I have a widescreen Samsung LCD monitor that I currently use with my windows desktop that I love, if I connect the macbook to it, will it use a bigger resolution than 1200x800 on my Samsung (it supports up to 1900xsomething) or will it be the same?

Specs:
    The Macbooks both support external monitors with resolutions up to 1920 x 1200. If your external monitor offers that resolution, then the Macbooks can output at that resolution.

June 2007
    July 2009

Is there anything else I need to know other than the display question, which really helped me as now I really am leaning towards the Macbook 2.4...

As far as external storage, I plan to use my current hard drives and turn them into externals... any other recommendations, how about for a ram upgrade as well?

Specs:
    The 2.4GHz comes standard with 2GB. Give that a try before spending money to upgrade to 4GB.

June 2007
    July 2009

Specs:
    Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 2.3TB HD; MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD
    I would eliminate hard drive and ram from the issue of which to get - better and cheaper to bump that up aftermarket. Neither should impact your decision.

The single biggest issue that I see is the screen and the fact that it has it's own graphics card with dedicated memory. The rest of the stuff is in the details to me.

As a happy MacBook owner I do run out of space pretty quickly on the 1280x800 display. Spaces helps considerably but there really is no substitute for pixels when doing image editing. If you have an Apple or Best Buy near you I would make sure you feel really comfortable with the screen differences.
    --David
    My blog about my move from Windows to Mac: www.davidalison.com

Thread Information