New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Security Awareness Discussion of all things related to the security of Apple devices.

Can Police Confiscate Your Smartphone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

This is not a "cut & dry" argument. If it was...we wouldn't be on page 4 of this thread!

I'm sure we could stack up a 1000 lawyers on both sides of the argument...argue the case for 6 months...and still not be any closer to a conclusion that a majority of reasonably minded folks would find acceptable.

The U.S. Supreme Court can rule on things one way. And in the years to come...the decision can be over-turned. Anything can happen.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
erics72

erics72 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 3,1, 8-core Xeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclev View Post
Yes, it is. I can be nice .... and call my lawyer....I didn't say I would be a pushover. After 30 years of public high school teaching, I have found being nice but, emphatically informing them as to the potential ramifications of their actions, works nicely. It allows for the potentially offending party to reassess their options.

A-holes are everywhere. This does not mean I have to be one. Nothing is ever simple - humans are not simple but how I act in the situation can be my choice. If someone wants to violate my rights by going through my stuff with out a warrant just because he or she can well, my reacting like an a-hole will not help the situation. That's why they make lawyers.

Lisa
And sometimes, you may not want to be an a-hole back, but are pushed to it. Everyone has a breaking point. And some people can push buttons. It takes a very thick skin to keep calm with people who push buttons. Not everyone is capable of it. More power to you if you can stay calm at all times. ;-)
QUOTE Thanks
jimchik

jimchik is on a distinguished road

I think what one has to be particularly careful with is, for instance, the Geico option to keep your insurance ID on your smart phone. It seems that in this instance, one would be in effect giving police access to their phones. Plus, Geico (and others) has a history of working with police departments, specifically in supplying radar guns, though I don't have recent information.
QUOTE Thanks
ankhseeker

ankhseeker is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: A1286 MBP5,3 iphone4, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb

From what I remember, law enforcement can look at the mirror image on your phone and you wouldn't even know it!

This video says a lot about technology in the us.

Next Future Terrifying Technology Will Blow Your Mind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbQeABIoO6A
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimchik View Post
I think what one has to be particularly careful with is, for instance, the Geico option to keep your insurance ID on your smart phone. It seems that in this instance, one would be in effect giving police access to their phones. Plus, Geico (and others) has a history of working with police departments, specifically in supplying radar guns, though I don't have recent information.
I am not a lawyer and haven't looked at the specifics of the recent ruling but I don't think that is the case. Suppose you are asked to produce proof of insurance and you show the officer a digital insurance ID. Other than to see the ID I don't think he would have the right to access other info on the phone.

To me it is somewhat analogous to the "plain sight exception" that has been in place for some time. Suppose an officer comes to your door and asks to come in. You let him in and he notices something illegal in plain sight (sitting on a table for instance): You're probably going to get arrested. If that same situation occurs and the same illegal substance/object is hidden somewhere the officer does not automatically have the right to go looking in all the closets/cabinets etc. for it.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Keep in mind that regardless of what GEICO is advertising, digital proof of insurance may not be acceptable by your state. And don't get me started on GEICO.....
QUOTE Thanks
jimchik

jimchik is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Keep in mind that regardless of what GEICO is advertising, digital proof of insurance may not be acceptable by your state. And don't get me started on GEICO.....
Heh, seems like I already did. And good point on acceptance of a digital ID. I hope that an attorney chimes in on the legal and technical aspects of that. Regardless, I'd rather simply hand the officer a piece of paper.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is there a free upgrade to v10.7.5? | Help changing passwords »