New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Security Awareness Discussion of all things related to the security of Apple devices.

Email Hacking??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Parrappa

Parrappa is on a distinguished road

OK... I consider myself to be pretty educated when it comes to network security, I work in IT, and generally just have good common sense. I don't download and open suspicious files or plugins, I use different and secure passwords, I have a firewall...

Anyway, about a week ago, I got an email from myself that was advertising something, I quickly realized that that email had also been sent to all my contacts, and that obviously somebody had my email password. At this point, I downloaded and activated "Lastpass", Changed all of my passwords to even more secure, random ones, and also downloaded a copy of Kaspersky for Mac, as well as Macscan and did full scans of my system, which both turned up nothing in the malware department.

Fast forward a week, I just got another email from myself advertising something again. So my question is, how the hell did somebody get ahold of my updated password? Which is extremely secure. 12 random characters and numbers generated by Lastpass. I have only accessed the email account from my macbook, and my iphone.

I have no idea how my updated password was obtained, and am curious what I can do to prevent it from happening again.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Since both sets of spam came from the same account and you changed your password in the intervening time I wonder if your e-mail addresses wasn't spoofed this time rather than hacked. One clue might be in your Sent e0mail folder. If copies of the problem e-mails aren't there spoofing is a possibility. See this lifehacker article for some ideas.

Some of our more networking/server savy members may come up with other ideas or even correct mistakes on my part.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Parrappa

Parrappa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Since both sets of spam came from the same account and you changed your password in the intervening time I wonder if your e-mail addresses wasn't spoofed this time rather than hacked. One clue might be in your Sent e0mail folder. If copies of the problem e-mails aren't there spoofing is a possibility. See this lifehacker article for some ideas.

Some of our more networking/server savy members may come up with other ideas or even correct mistakes on my part.
After reading your post, I decided to check my sent mail folder, and what I found was actually very interesting....

The email was indeed in my sent mail folder, however next to the name, it had that little security warning from Gmail that states "This message may not have been sent by (my email)" Then it shows a completely different name than mine, followed by my email address in captions. Very interesting indeed, I'm not quite sure what to make of it...
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is a jewel in the roughMBP17•David is a jewel in the roughMBP17•David is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP17 2010 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9.4 • MBA11 2010 4GB 128GB 10.9.4 • TC 2TB • TV • iOS bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrappa View Post
The email was indeed in my sent mail folder, however next to the name, it had that little security warning from Gmail that states "This message may not have been sent by (my email)" Then it shows a completely different name than mine, followed by my email address in captions
The footnote you quoted indicates that message was, quite likely, relayed from a different account/server. I'd contact Gmail and let them look into it. Also check to see which ports/protocols are listed for smtp, when you're using interface other, than their webmail (i.e. Mail, Thunderbird, Outlook, etc, etc) - it might be open to intercept, particularly if you regularly use a public WiFi network, say at a coffee shop.

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Ahh the perils of Gmail and Hotmail.

https://support.google.com/mail/answ..._topic=3394464

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Odd Charles Proxy Connections | Flash Player »