New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Security Awareness Discussion of all things related to the security of Apple devices.

Malware - Clicked on Website - iSight Cam went on

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hugoo1041

Hugoo1041 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2013 (late year) 15.4" MacBook Pro

I clicked on a blog website and my camera turned on. Yikes! I immediately shut the computer down.

I would appreciate any ideas on what I should be doing to make sure I don't have any malware on my computer after clicking on this link. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am not exceptionally computer savvy. Thank you very much.

2013 (late year) 15.4" MacBook Pro
OS X 10.9.3
Processor: Intel i7 2.3 GHz
Memory: 16 GB
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

How about providing us with the URL of the Blog Website so we can check it out? However, it doesn't sound like Malware. It sounds more like some kind of interaction if it indeed turned on your camera.
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP17 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9 • MBA11 4/128GB 10.9 • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPh6+ 128GB

First thing I would check, if you use Flash Player - go to System Preferences, and click on Flash Player in the bottom section, then make sure this is selected:

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Thanks for that tip. I checked my settings and they were set to allow access and storage permissions were set to ask. This must have happened when I re-installed Flash recently.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

pm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the rough

And Adobe just released Flash Player v. 14.x June 10, 2014 if you got the latest.

It seems that some aren't to happy with it and I don't know if it has been the cause of some sudden slow downs of my Safari (Mavericks) or not.
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

MBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really niceMBP17•David is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP17 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9 • MBA11 4/128GB 10.9 • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPh6+ 128GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Thanks for that tip. I checked my settings and they were set to allow access and storage permissions were set to ask. This must have happened when I re-installed Flash recently.
Cool I actually noticed this at the last upgrade too, when Flash insisted on removing the old version.

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

And beware Flash automatically changes your Preferences to 'Allow Adobe to Install Updates' which is not on for me!

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Hugoo1041

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
How about providing us with the URL of the Blog Website so we can check it out? However, it doesn't sound like Malware. It sounds more like some kind of interaction if it indeed turned on your camera.

The blogsite url is: http://unitedagainstmike59.blogspot.com

OS X 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
Hugoo1041

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBP17•David View Post
First thing I would check, if you use Flash Player - go to System Preferences, and click on Flash Player in the bottom section, then make sure this is selected:

Thank you very much David. I did exactly what you said to do and I also changed the settings to notify me for updates.

OS X 10.9.3
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugoo1041 View Post
No problem here, and I do not have my camera blocked as has been suggested. Might have been a fluke that set off your camera. In any event, go ahead and do what has been suggested about the "Flash Player".
QUOTE Thanks
MBP17•David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugoo1041 View Post
Thank you very much David. I did exactly what you said to do and I also changed the settings to notify me for updates.
Not at all, glad I was able to help

Dvid
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple devices digitally Kidnapped | Odd Charles Proxy Connections »