New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Security Awareness Discussion of all things related to the security of Apple devices.

virus protection

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

earley

earley is on a distinguished road

What is the best anti virus S/W
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Wow this has been asked literally thousands of times and the answer never changes:-

Ain't-Virus Protection

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
pm-r

pm-r is a jewel in the roughpm-r is a jewel in the rough

If you feel you really need such software:

ClamXav and use its watched folders setup for email and downloads etc.

Get it from their site and not from the App Store which doesn't include the ClamXav Sentry addition.
ClamXav

Or maybe the free sophos software:
Mac Antivirus | Free Antivirus for Mac Tool Download | Sophos
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The only Anti virus that we suggest if you ABSOLUTELY need one is ClamXav..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Avoid Sophos like the black plague!

Slow slow slow.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Thread moved to better area.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

HELLO!!
Seriously, please do a search before asking questions. Especially about things like virus and malware.
Now back to my deep hole and cookies.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
Now back to my deep hole and cookies.
Wow. At least you got cookies!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Unfortunately they have to be sugar free

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
Unfortunately they have to be sugar free
That stinks!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Had a 20-something co-worker who was laughing about the claim that Macs don't get viruses yesterday. I calmly said, "No, that's true, because there aren't any." He wasn't buying it. Sheesh!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
Had a 20-something co-worker who was laughing about the claim that Macs don't get viruses yesterday. I calmly said, "No, that's true, because there aren't any." He wasn't buying it. Sheesh!
I assuming this person was a Windows user. Yes...this person is probably so used to the problems Windows users have with viruses...that it's probably a too good to be true situation (to them). And...this person is probably so wrapped up in the belief that...Windows = Good...and Mac's = Bad...that they don't even do the research to investigate the Mac's & viruses situation.

It's like someone saying...I'll trade you my $50 dollar bill for your $10 dollar bill (real money). This person is probably thinking...How can it be possible that Mac's don't have a virus problem...and my beloved Windows has all sorts of virus problems (or potential problems)??

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I assuming this person was a Windows user.
He's kind of the company computer guru for anything the tech consultant is not needed for. The company has Windows 8. I assume that he uses it on his personal computer at home. He said he used Macs in school, but never liked them. So, you can lead a brainwashed Windows user to a better OS, but...
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Well bet him a night on the town he cannot find any OS X viruses.

QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Well bet him a night on the town he cannot find any OS X viruses.
Depending on how you define "virus", you might lose that bet.

There are no viruses (defined as self-propagating malware) in the wild for the Macintosh.

However, if you use the term "virus" to refer to all malware (as most Windows users do), then your co-worker is absolutely correct. While the amount of malware for the Mac isn't in the same ballpark as for Windows (roughly about 30 mostly innocuous or extinct examples for the Mac, compared to well over a million for Windows), it definitely exists. Here is a meticulously and constantly updated list:
The Safe Mac : Mac Malware Guide

Here is a thoughtful article about folks who go around saying that there "are no viruses for the Macintosh":
The Safe Mac » “There are no Mac viruses”

As for the "best" anti-virus software for the Macintosh, there are multiple ways to rate such software. If you rate it by how effective it is at detecting known malware for the Macintosh, you can do this objectively because Thomas Reed yearly does a huge comparison test of all of the programs available. Here are the results of the latest test:
The Safe Mac » Mac anti-virus testing 2014
You can download the results and study them more closely, as a PDF file:
http://www.thesafemac.com/downloads/...sults_2014.pdf

However, another factor to consider is that all of the fully interactive anti-virus software programs have, at one time or another, been implicated with causing nasty software conflicts, slowdowns, rotating beachballs that are persistent, etc. Since OS X includes its own (non-publicized) anti-virus software:

XProtect/File Quarantine
File Quarantine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OS X: About the "Are you sure you want to open it?" alert (File Quarantine / Known Malware Detection)

Third party commercial anti-virus software may be more trouble than its worth.

Most Macintosh users do completely without any sort of anti-virus software, yet you almost never hear of an actual first-person believable account of a Mac user becoming infected with malware. (I include the term "believable" because many users, especially new switchers from Windows, automatically blame any problem on "a virus", even though that is almost never the actual cause of their problem.)

The choice to use or not use anti-virus software is up to you. You may want to read through:
The Safe Mac » Mac Malware Guide
Which is a Web site written and hosted by someone not in the anti-virus software industry, so the information there tends to be reliable.

I can tell you that I've used one of the top-rated anti-virus (AV) programs, Intego's Virus Barrier, continuously ever since OS X was released, roughly 13 years ago. I use AV software, not because I think that I need it (I don't think that I need it), but because my work requires it. In all that time, my AV software has never flagged anything that I actually needed to be protected from.

Randy B. Singer

Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Password login attempts? | Apple devices digitally Kidnapped »