New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Security Awareness Discussion of all things related to the security of Apple devices.

Password login attempts?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jen_001

Jen_001 is on a distinguished road

I have my MacBook OSX (I am not sure what exact version 10.6 something.. I am not very computer savvy) which I purchased in 2013 in a common area of the house.

I am the only one with an Administrator account and no guest accounts.
I also have a roommate who may think he's a smart guy. I suspect he may have attempted to enter passwords on my machine trying to gain entry to my mac.

-Can someone advise me about how many times someone could do this? Is there a number of attempts before the machine 'locks out'? I am afraid of coming home & the screen is frozen & will not accept my password. I am not able to secure the computer when I go to work, shopping etc. I do not wish to throw it into a safe when I cannot see it.

-Is there anyway I could tell someone has been sitting at the table just entering guesses unsuccessfully? I am synced with Keychain. Would I be able to get an email about this attempt?

Everything with the Finder & Dock seems to be normal. There is no unusual history in browsers from what I can tell.

-at first there was a Password Hint (after 3 unsuccessful attempts I believe) set up, now changed. Can someone unauthorized just continue to enter guesses after that point of getting the Hint? If I just attempted to sign on after my roommate snooping, would I be able to tell?

For the record, the password is strong and the Password Hint has now been disabled.

Thank you mac guru's .. I visit this forum often but have not had any need to post until now :L
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

No it wont lock out after so many attempts. Have a GOOD password and disabling the hint was a good idea.
If you really believe someone accessed it open a Terminal and type last. This will give names and times of logins. for more info type man last.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post

". . . open a Terminal and type last..
/Slydue fleeing in terror.

Now it all comes to light. You are assisting certain members in "helping" me learn Terminal. I can feel the hives starting already.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Jen_001

Jen_001 is on a distinguished road

cradom.. thank you for the reply.

When I come home at night and either power up my machine or 'awake' it from sleep, will there be anything along the login page? I read somewhere that the clock will suddenly update from the last time the screen was open. Could that be true?

Would the login necessarily show the 'hint" if I left the hint option on and someone was trying their luck? (or- just by randomly entering guesses is the hint reset by pressing the enter key?)

I am paranoid about losing my password & do not want to write it down now.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen_001 View Post
I am paranoid about losing my password & do not want to write it down now.
We all have to deal with passwords...many of us multiple passwords that MUST be changed regularly (mandatory...especially places of employment). A "password remembering strategy" that works for each of us is the key.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
/Slydue fleeing in terror.

Now it all comes to light. You are assisting certain members in "helping" me learn Terminal. I can feel the hives starting already.
Dang, I forgot to fix that. It was supposed to be subliminal.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

As a suggestion use a strong 13 digit password containing numeric and alphabetic digits including the odd capital. In System Preferences you can disable automatic login and opt for show password when waking from sleep.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
carlhataway

carlhataway is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacPro, dual2.4GHz, 32GB, 4x4TBHDD, ATIHD5870, SuperDrive, PioneerBDburner, iPhone5S, iPad Air

Tell your roommate you will break all their fingers next time they mess with your laptop
QUOTE Thanks
carlhataway

Mac Specs: MacPro, dual2.4GHz, 32GB, 4x4TBHDD, ATIHD5870, SuperDrive, PioneerBDburner, iPhone5S, iPad Air

There is a password app called RoboForm, if you don't want to buy it the app will let you store 10 log ins and passwords which you can encrypt and use a password to access the app. RoboForm will even generate passwords for you. There are a lot of these apps out there and everyone has their favorite, this one is mine. Normally, after three attempts at your password Apple will require you to reset your password and you can't use any one that you have used before. Apple has broke me from remembering passwords.

Carl, Mac Pro 2.4GHz Xeon Processors, 10.9.3, 4x4TB HDD's, 32GB Memory, ATI Radeon HD5870 Video Card, 1st Optical Bay SuperDrive, 2nd Optical Drive Bay Pioneer BDR-208 BDK, Dual 32" 32LK450 LG HDTV for Monitors with HDMI connections and a Viewsonic 27" Monitor

Last edited by carlhataway; 06-01-2014 at 08:34 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The problem with RoboForm even though they recently reduced their price, is that it still is a subscription only purchase. You purchase it for one year for $9.95. Not a bad price for one year but it must be renewed annually.
QUOTE Thanks
carlhataway

Amazing . . . I have had RoboForm now since April of 2011 and never had to renew anything, get updates all the time . . . Just Sayin'

Carl, Mac Pro 2.4GHz Xeon Processors, 10.9.3, 4x4TB HDD's, 32GB Memory, ATI Radeon HD5870 Video Card, 1st Optical Bay SuperDrive, 2nd Optical Drive Bay Pioneer BDR-208 BDK, Dual 32" 32LK450 LG HDTV for Monitors with HDMI connections and a Viewsonic 27" Monitor
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

Maybe not the free version but it is a subscription service.
Buy RoboForm
$9.95 for the first year...

QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Rod Sprague has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.9.4, iMac 2.5 gHz OS 10.6, iPhone 4 iOS 7, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2

Everyone has trouble creating memorable complex passwords especially if it's your login for your laptop because you have no choice but to remember it. Consequently many people use simple passwords such as their name, address, birthday, or combinations of the three. All are easy to crack if you can try long enough. Password generators and managers are great once you have logged in. So a simple solution is a nonsense phrase. These are surprisingly easy to remember but very difficult to guess. For example, "I don't like peas and ham" written as, idontlikepeasandham contains 19 digits is close to unguessable and can be further complicated by adding uppercase letters as in, IDontLikePeasAndHam or a number IDontLike2PeasAndHam. Give it a try. Cheers, Rod

RodS Don't forget to click on the permalink (top right corner) if you were helped by a post in this forum.

Last edited by Rod Sprague; 06-02-2014 at 10:56 PM. Reason: poor grammar
QUOTE Thanks
carlhataway

Well cradom, I paid $49.95 for my copy maybe that is lifetime updates . . . I wish I had nothing else to do but counter every entry made here . . . I ENVY you, and I'm out of here!!! JUST SAYIN!!!!!

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« dragging & dropping undetected into a USB? | virus protection »