New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Security Awareness Discussion of all things related to the security of Apple devices.

Apple devices digitally Kidnapped

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lclev

lclev is a jewel in the roughlclev is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Early 2011, i7, 16GB mem, 1TB HD; MB Air 13", Mid 2013, i5, 4GB mem, 250GB HD

Has anyone seen or know of this article:
Apple devices digitally kidnapped in Australia, held for ransom*-*Los Angeles Times

From what I gather the best defense is to make my Apple ID password totally unique and then hope Apple doesn't get hacked. Interesting that the way they found to compromise an iPhone or iPad is by using user names and passwords obtained from other hacked companies.

Any thoughts?

Lisa
QUOTE Thanks
ArklightHD

ArklightHD is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac i5, 2.9GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD

Very worrying to read.

As you stated above, the best way to keep unwanted people from having access to your personal files and contacts is to have very secure passwords. Make sure that the passwords are alphanumeric and a mixture of both upper and lower cases.

An added tip would be to keep your passwords unique and not to use them on multiple websites.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclev View Post
Has anyone seen or know of this article:
Apple devices digitally kidnapped in Australia, held for ransom*-*Los Angeles Times

From what I gather the best defense is to make my Apple ID password totally unique and then hope Apple doesn't get hacked. Interesting that the way they found to compromise an iPhone or iPad is by using user names and passwords obtained from other hacked companies.

Any thoughts?
Having unique passwords is exactly the best defense, although I also recommend using 2-factor identification anywhere it's offered (you can do so for your Apple ID). As user name/password lists get leaked from attacks on vulnerable websites, scores of hackers are re-trying those names/passwords on other sites to try and get in. This almost happened with me a few years ago when my login credentials got stolen for one website and someone tried to re-use it on Facebook. They were blocked because Facebook was already on top of the situation and the login request came from a foreign computer, but that was a wakeup call for me. Today I have unique, strong passwords for everything. It's impossible to keep up with all this, so a password manager is a must. I'm happy with 1Password, but there are a few alternatives out there.
QUOTE Thanks
lclev

Mac Specs: MBP 15" Early 2011, i7, 16GB mem, 1TB HD; MB Air 13", Mid 2013, i5, 4GB mem, 250GB HD

I agree, unique passwords for each site is a must now. I have downloaded 1Password and I need to really take a hard look at it. Currently I have a list in Excel and I use a unique way of listing passwords and user names. If anyone where to look at it and try what they see it would not work. The user names or passwords are things I know or understand and would make no sense to anyone else. I got started using the method when password keepers were still off in the future. I guess I worry about how my unique style would translate to 1Password. Plus it is another new app to learn....

Lisa
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

No problems here but then I do not use 1Password and make sure my mobile, 'puter, router and everything else has a strong 13 digit numeric and alpabetical password including some capitals. And going over Macintosh forums here seen nothing about it either.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
lclev

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
No problems here .... And going over Macintosh forums here seen nothing about it either.
I am glad. I found the story interesting. It originated in on an Australian website:

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-lif...527-zrpbj.html

It is plausible. If a hacker gets user names and passwords, goes to iCloud and starts inputting what they obtained it could happen. And it would not be an Apple security flaw because most people will use the same user name and password for every site because they are too lazy to set up a system to protect and track their passwords.

I imagine Apple has a lock out policy after so many tries but that can be circumvented.

Lisa
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

It's on CNN now.

Hackers locking iPhones, demanding ransoms - CNN.com

One interesting theory:

Quote:
One participant in the online discussion theorized the mass compromise may have been the result of hacking domain name system (DNS) servers used by Australian service providers to translate human readable addresses such as Apple.com into the IP addresses Internet routers rely on.

Such an attack, which has yet to be confirmed in this case, works by "poisoning" the lookup tables of DNS servers so they secretly direct people to impostor sites. Assuming this technique was at play in the iPhone and iPad locking, affected users who entered a password on what appeared to be Apple's site could have unknowingly provided it to the people behind the attack.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Could well be. I have just changed ISPs and former had DNS address as '0.0.0.0' which would not take much hacking I guess. Currently it is a 12 digit address.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I thought this only happened on phones that were not password protected am I wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
No problems here but then I do not use 1Password and make sure my mobile, 'puter, router and everything else has a strong 13 digit numeric and alpabetical password including some capitals. And going over Macintosh forums here seen nothing about it either.
Its a huge thing, with a 28page thread in the Apple forums already. I reckon some people fell for the phishing scam a little while ago, where people were asked to go to their iCloud account and make sure their password and login credentials where right. It was a fake iCloud site, but I'm sure some fell for it, and this is where they got the password and iCloud details from . .

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
I thought this only happened on phones that were not password protected am I wrong?
iPhones with screen lock passwords were not vulnerable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Its a huge thing, with a 28page thread in the Apple forums already. I reckon some people fell for the phishing scam a little while ago, where people were asked to go to their iCloud account and make sure their password and login credentials where right. It was a fake iCloud site, but I'm sure some fell for it, and this is where they got the password and iCloud details from . .
Ahh, that makes a lot of sense. I hadn't heard of that phishing email, but it goes to show how a measure of common sense can protect you. I guess a lot of people were fooled by it.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Ahh, that makes a lot of sense. I hadn't heard of that phishing email, but it goes to show how a measure of common sense can protect you. I guess a lot of people were fooled by it.
You mean there are folks who don't use common sense when they're on their computer?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Lol Charlie. Ohh you Texans!!

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
I guess a lot of people were fooled by it.
And its seems only us Aussies are the fools

All good though, as PayPal have said all senders of money are covered buy their Buyers Protection Policy

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Arrests have been made!

Russia arrests men accused of hijacking Australian Apple devices | Electronista
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« virus protection | Malware - Clicked on Website - iSight Cam went on »