Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    2011 15" MBPro, 2013 13" MBAir, 2010 MacPro, 2011 21.5 iMac, iPhone 7+
    Apple devices digitally Kidnapped
    Has anyone seen or know of this article:
    Apple devices digitally kidnapped in Australia, held for ransom*-*Los Angeles Times

From what I gather the best defense is to make my Apple ID password totally unique and then hope Apple doesn't get hacked. Interesting that the way they found to compromise an iPhone or iPad is by using user names and passwords obtained from other hacked companies.

Any thoughts?

Lisa

Specs:
    21.5" iMac i5, 2.9GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD
    Very worrying to read.

As you stated above, the best way to keep unwanted people from having access to your personal files and contacts is to have very secure passwords. Make sure that the passwords are alphanumeric and a mixture of both upper and lower cases.

An added tip would be to keep your passwords unique and not to use them on multiple websites.

Quote Originally Posted by lclev View Post
    Has anyone seen or know of this article:
    Apple devices digitally kidnapped in Australia, held for ransom*-*Los Angeles Times

From what I gather the best defense is to make my Apple ID password totally unique and then hope Apple doesn't get hacked. Interesting that the way they found to compromise an iPhone or iPad is by using user names and passwords obtained from other hacked companies.

Any thoughts?
    Having unique passwords is exactly the best defense, although I also recommend using 2-factor identification anywhere it's offered (you can do so for your Apple ID). As user name/password lists get leaked from attacks on vulnerable websites, scores of hackers are re-trying those names/passwords on other sites to try and get in. This almost happened with me a few years ago when my login credentials got stolen for one website and someone tried to re-use it on Facebook. They were blocked because Facebook was already on top of the situation and the login request came from a foreign computer, but that was a wakeup call for me. Today I have unique, strong passwords for everything. It's impossible to keep up with all this, so a password manager is a must. I'm happy with 1Password, but there are a few alternatives out there.

Specs:
    I agree, unique passwords for each site is a must now. I have downloaded 1Password and I need to really take a hard look at it. Currently I have a list in Excel and I use a unique way of listing passwords and user names. If anyone where to look at it and try what they see it would not work. The user names or passwords are things I know or understand and would make no sense to anyone else. I got started using the method when password keepers were still off in the future. I guess I worry about how my unique style would translate to 1Password. Plus it is another new app to learn....

Lisa

Specs:
    Imac 27", i7 3.5GHz, 3TB Fusion drive, 32GB memory, macOS Sierra.
    No problems here but then I do not use 1Password and make sure my mobile, 'puter, router and everything else has a strong 13 digit numeric and alpabetical password including some capitals. And going over Macintosh forums here seen nothing about it either.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    No problems here .... And going over Macintosh forums here seen nothing about it either.
    I am glad. I found the story interesting. It originated in on an Australian website:

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-lif...527-zrpbj.html

It is plausible. If a hacker gets user names and passwords, goes to iCloud and starts inputting what they obtained it could happen. And it would not be an Apple security flaw because most people will use the same user name and password for every site because they are too lazy to set up a system to protect and track their passwords.

I imagine Apple has a lock out policy after so many tries but that can be circumvented.

Lisa

It's on CNN now.

Hackers locking iPhones, demanding ransoms - CNN.com

One interesting theory:

One participant in the online discussion theorized the mass compromise may have been the result of hacking domain name system (DNS) servers used by Australian service providers to translate human readable addresses such as Apple.com into the IP addresses Internet routers rely on.

Such an attack, which has yet to be confirmed in this case, works by "poisoning" the lookup tables of DNS servers so they secretly direct people to impostor sites. Assuming this technique was at play in the iPhone and iPad locking, affected users who entered a password on what appeared to be Apple's site could have unknowingly provided it to the people behind the attack.

Specs:
    Could well be. I have just changed ISPs and former had DNS address as '0.0.0.0' which would not take much hacking I guess. Currently it is a 12 digit address.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    I thought this only happened on phones that were not password protected am I wrong?

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    No problems here but then I do not use 1Password and make sure my mobile, 'puter, router and everything else has a strong 13 digit numeric and alpabetical password including some capitals. And going over Macintosh forums here seen nothing about it either.
    Its a huge thing, with a 28page thread in the Apple forums already. I reckon some people fell for the phishing scam a little while ago, where people were asked to go to their iCloud account and make sure their password and login credentials where right. It was a fake iCloud site, but I'm sure some fell for it, and this is where they got the password and iCloud details from . .
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Quote Originally Posted by osxx View Post
    I thought this only happened on phones that were not password protected am I wrong?
    iPhones with screen lock passwords were not vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    Its a huge thing, with a 28page thread in the Apple forums already. I reckon some people fell for the phishing scam a little while ago, where people were asked to go to their iCloud account and make sure their password and login credentials where right. It was a fake iCloud site, but I'm sure some fell for it, and this is where they got the password and iCloud details from . .
    Ahh, that makes a lot of sense. I hadn't heard of that phishing email, but it goes to show how a measure of common sense can protect you. I guess a lot of people were fooled by it.
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Ahh, that makes a lot of sense. I hadn't heard of that phishing email, but it goes to show how a measure of common sense can protect you. I guess a lot of people were fooled by it.
    You mean there are folks who don't use common sense when they're on their computer?

Specs:
    Lol Charlie. Ohh you Texans!!

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
    I guess a lot of people were fooled by it.
    And its seems only us Aussies are the fools

All good though, as PayPal have said all senders of money are covered buy their Buyers Protection Policy
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Thread Information