New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Security Awareness Discussion of all things related to the security of Apple devices.

Something is terribly wrong!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

QueenMe

QueenMe is on a distinguished road

HI-
Yesterday at my school campus, my mac ( mac book pro-2011- OS 10.9.2) went blank and shutdown. When it came back on- the clock was messed up-I shut it down properly and the clock went fine.
I noticed that ALL websites that I kept myself as logged in, are asking me to login back again. as If my cache was cleared!
I felt kind of strange and started to change my passwords.
BUT ::: even with the new pw, websites are kicking me out and asking me to login again...
Is it possible that some one hacked into my computer or whatever virus !!! and it is reading or over writing my keychain? it is strange!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

No, you don't have a virus. No, nobody has hacked into your computer.

Most likely, you have a hard drive that's failing or a directory that's corrupted. Your keychain may also be corrupted.

I assume you've been keeping backups using Time Machine or something like that. If you have a bootable backup, you might try booting from it to see if the problem exists there, and consider just wiping and restoring the hard drive from your clone copy.
QUOTE Thanks
QueenMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Most likely, you have a hard drive that's failing or a directory that's corrupted. Your keychain may also be corrupted.
Glad that I have no virus. I have backup- But my Time Machine is not that current for me to want to go back to it. How can I fix the keychain if that is corrupted without going through time machine?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Boot into Recovery first and check out that hard drive. here is how to use Recovery to check the drive out. When you get to the OS X Utilities, go in and run Repair Disk.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
QueenMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Boot into Recovery first and check out that hard drive. here is how to use Recovery to check the drive out. When you get to the OS X Utilities, go in and run Repair Disk.

OS X: About OS X Recovery
I Had done the repair disk selecting the entire HD- without being in the recovery mode....everything was OK. Shall I do it again in recovery mode?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Please note.

You cannot Repair Disk unless you go into Recovery or, if the machine had Snow Leopard on it, booting from the DVD. You cannot repair a disk you are booted from.

What you have done is probably Repaired Permissions which does NOTHING to tell us about the health of the hard drive.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ain't-Virus Protection | Deal Finder and Price Gong »