New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Security Awareness Discussion of all things related to the security of Apple devices.

Latest Viruses and Malware

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

KOKODA

KOKODA is on a distinguished road

I've never considered Macs to be immune to attacks, only better prepared and protected. However, for the passed couple of days I've been trying to rid myself of strings of pop-up ads, etc. I use Google Chrome and can't even get the front page to load as it used to. Anyone having the same issues? Anyone have solutions? I have MacKeeper, ClamXav, and Avast! installed and still the problems linger.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOKODA View Post
I have MacKeeper, ClamXav, and Avast! installed and still the problems linger.
There's three problems right there. I would uninstall all of them.

If you want more info on this...do a Mac-Forums search...since this has been covered so many times...I get a headache just thinking about it!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thread moved to better sub-forum.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
lclev

lclev is a jewel in the roughlclev is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 15" Early 2011, i7, 16GB mem, 1TB HD; MB Air 13", Mid 2013, i5, 4GB mem, 250GB HD

Quote:
I have MacKeeper, ClamXav, and Avast! installed and still the problems linger.
Yikes!!! Well, for one thing, I would start by uninstalling at least two of those programs. Multiple antivirus programs will gum up your computer more than help it. It's not like if one is good the two is better and so on.

I run google chrome on both my MBP and MB air. I have not had any issues as the ones you are having. I do have chrome, under settings - advanced - privacy, enabled for phishing and malware protection.

I do use sophos antivirus only because I will download stuff for windows machines and use it to scan to avoid getting viruses on my windows machines. This has actually worked well for me.

Lisa
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclev View Post
Yikes!!!

I do use sophos antivirus only because I will download stuff for windows machines and use it to scan to avoid getting viruses on my windows machines. This has actually worked well for me.

Lisa
It should work well for that purpose. Most of the anti virus programs are actually relying on windows based virus definitions IIRC.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
KOKODA

Thanks guys. I've uninstalled the anti-virus programs and as soon as I did that this virus link popped up .... http://rvzr-a.akamaihd.net/. This is one I've been trying to get rid of for the last 2 days!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Of the three things you mentioned (and not uninstalled)...MacKeeper is the very worst of them!!!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Remove all extensions from your browser.
You will likely need to reset your home page and the default search engine also.

And need to make sure you are choosing the 'Custom' install whenever you install anything from the web - especially Cnet, Downloads dot com and several others. What did you install a couple days ago and from where?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Last edited by bobtomay; 04-07-2014 at 06:44 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
lclev

Mac Specs: MBP 15" Early 2011, i7, 16GB mem, 1TB HD; MB Air 13", Mid 2013, i5, 4GB mem, 250GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
You will likely need to reset your home page and the default search engine also.

And need to make sure you are choosing the 'Custom' install whenever you install anything from the web - especially Cnet, Downloads dot com and several others. What did you install a couple days ago and from where?
I agree. You will need to do the above and uninstall any installs you have done since this problem arrived. ALWAYS custom install programs because the recent trend is to include unwanted toolbars, extensions, adware garbage with the program.

Lisa
QUOTE Thanks
KOKODA

I downloaded all anti-virus programs from Cnet.com ... MacKeeper a while ago because of its high rating and I was looking for something to use to optimize my iMac. I have now uninstalled all 3 programs after following the advice and comments from you all. That being said, what can I use to help optimize, etc my computer?

Also, this is the window that keeps popping up periodically:
http://rvzr-a.akamaihd.net/sd/dw32.h...sn=&mpa=0&mp=0
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
That being said, what can I use to help optimize, etc my computer?
The free maintenance program called "Onyx":

Titanium's Software • Index page

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You got that by downloading from Cnet and then allowing their installer to put adware/malware on your computer because you used the default install instead of the custom install.

You still need to do the following to get rid of the junk Cnet installed on your computer.

Quote:

If you don't know how to remove extensions...
Safari
Firefox
Chorme

As an aside: Not sure what makes you think MacKeeper has a high rating - besides maybe the ads they pay for everywhere you go on the web with a Mac. There is certainly no long time actively participating member in this forum that has ever given that software a high rating.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
lclev

KOKODA,

Bobtomay is right. You need to go into your browser and disable your extensions. Google the website link you have listed and you will see a bunch of listings for how to remove (in windows) the problem. Some of the suggestions will be applicable for browser removal as the settings are the same across OS's. They will also give you an idea of how this adware works.

Oh, and never install from CNET without using custom. That's how you get unwanted stuff. If you choose to run an antivirus, it won't catch toolbars or extensions because they are not considered malware by the scanner.

And Mackeeper sucks, Onyx rulles....just sayin'.

Lisa
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
As an aside: Not sure what makes you think MacKeeper has a high rating - besides maybe the ads they pay for everywhere you go on the web with a Mac. There is certainly no long time actively participating member in this forum that has ever given that software a high rating.
I have seen MacKeeper get high reviews on certain download sites, where they can rig the reviews by having paid shills write them.

From what I've seen recently, MacKeeper isn't as damaging as it once was. It's still mostly redundant to free software that does a better job of what little maintenance is required by OS X, but I don't think its existence alone is enough to cause the kinds of problems the OP is seeing.

With that said, I take issue with any company that advertises in an unscrupulous way - and MacKeeper has a long, sordid history of doing just that. Not to mention that at one time, it wasn't even native code, but some Windows utilities running under WINE.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MS Word vulnerability | Heartbeat OpenSSL bug does not affect OSX. »