New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Security Awareness Discussion of all things related to the security of Apple devices.

Adobe Flash Player on Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dylqn

Dylqn is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone,
I apologize for bringing up this topic of having Adobe Flash Player on Mac OS X, but I have several concerns about allowing it to be installed on my Mac that several threads I have read do not include.
- Is it safe to have Adobe FP on my MacBook Pro?
- Is it better to keep using Chrome over Safari due to Chrome having built in FP?

I currently run Chrome as my default browser and use the "Click to Play" feature under "Plug-ins" on my browser so that Adobe FP only runs when I allow it to when a video/ad is present.
I want to run Safari as my main browser because Chrome EATS my battery life, but it does not have Adobe FP installed as of now. I do not know if it is fully "safe" to keep it installed on my Mac. Any useful information or suggestions of what I should do would be greatly appreciated. I just want to take the full precautions of having the best security on my Mac due to having extremely important files on it. I hope these questions are not too stupid to ask, thank you to those who reply(:
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Install Flash. Install Click to Flash extension for Safari. Same thing.
Just make sure you get it from Adobe.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Dylqn

Dylqn is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your reply, the only difference I see is that the Adobe FP is not directly installed in my system, so it does not have the chance to harm my system if it is unsafe.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Every piece of software is insecure - everything from Flash to OS X and everything in between. If you need it, you have no choice but to install it. That said, you can be smart and keep it up to date (it has a built in updater that will prompt you when new versions are available).

As for using Chrome instead, there's no difference. In each case, Flash is used.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Under Mavericks and Mountain Lion Flash Player version 12.0.0.77 appears on the bottom row of System preferences.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
cptkrf

cptkrf is a jewel in the roughcptkrf is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacMini,2013, Intel Core i7, 16gb, 27" Thunderbolt display (Highly recommended!)

Security is one thing, but when I reloaded my machines with Mountain Lion (and lately, Mavericks) I decided to leave Flash off. If a site just had to have it to run, I would find some other website for my surfing.

The Mini didn’t seem to care. It is an i7, four core box with 16gb of ram. Lots of power for what I do. But my MacBook Air rejoiced over the decision. Innumerable times before, I would have to power down and reboot, a lŕ windoze, to get the performance back. Or to stop the overspeeding fan, or just suddenly realize that my legs were cooking under the aluminum case with the battery meter falling like a rock.

With no Flash, those problems have never returned. I now fully agree with Steve Jobs that the use of Flash most definitely does su… is equivalent to forcibly breathing in a large quantity of air through a hose.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkrf View Post
Or to stop the overspeeding fan, or just suddenly realize that my legs were cooking under the aluminum case with the battery meter falling like a rock.
If you're a guy, there are other reasons that you shouldn't be using it on your lap.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And this week's release is 14.0.0.145.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
cptkrf

Mac Specs: MacMini,2013, Intel Core i7, 16gb, 27" Thunderbolt display (Highly recommended!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
If you're a guy, there are other reasons that you shouldn't be using it on your lap.
Yup. But there is another factor that you are missing. I first started working on computers when they had vacuum tubes.

Of course, those got hot, too
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkrf View Post
Yup. But there is another factor that you are missing. I first started working on computers when they had vacuum tubes.

Of course, those got hot, too
LOL, I don't think you put one of those on your lap. The IBM mainframe computer used by the US Air Defense Command back in the early 60's (vacuum tubes) took up an entire building of over 15,000 square feet!
QUOTE Thanks
cptkrf

Actually, the problem wasn't heat, but the opposite. Computer rooms in those days would freeze anything off, especially if you had to pull a floor tile to work. I got many a strange look while walking across a black asphalt parking lot in August (in Texas!) and carrying a bulky military field jacket and gloves.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Are you concerned about privacy? | Is there a free upgrade to v10.7.5? »