New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Security Awareness Discussion of all things related to the security of Apple devices.

Which One's the Bad Guy- Java or JavaScript?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PGB1

PGB1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 2 GB RAM Running OSX 10.6.8

Good Day All!
I've searched & searched for the answer to a puzzlement and managed to get quite confused.

Is Java safe to have on the Mac running OS X 10.6.8? Should it be disabled in the operating system and the browsers, just the browsers or neither one?

Is JavaScript safe to have on the Mac. Should it be disabled?

I do have one program that requires Java to run (CrashPlan). I'd also assume lots of web sites need one or the other.

I apologize for asking a basic questions, but my searching revealed answers ranging from "It's All Good- No Worries" to "The Bad Guys Are Going To Get You If You Have Either".

I this forum, search results for JavaScript came up empty and for Java, too. But, I know they must be here somewhere.

This is the place for real & knowledgeable answers, so here I am!
Thanks Very Much!
Paul
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Seems to depend mainly on the version of Java you have installed. Have a read of this link:-

About the security content of Java for Mac OS X v10.6 Update 12

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
PGB1

Thank You Harryb2448.
That is an interesting article. Java Preferences.app on my computer shows 1 .6.0_65-b14-46A in both 32 and 64 bit versions.

The article addresses 1.6.0_37
So, based on the article, am I correct that it's OK to leave Java enabled?
Thanks Again,
Paul
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

My advice - if you don't need Java, disable it. It doesn't create a gaping hole on your machine or anything but disabling it does add a tiny bit more security.

As for JavaScript, you don't have it "on your Mac" per se - the runtimes are built into applications (primarily web browsers). You can disable each browser's JavaScript execution if you want but if you do, you're going to have a bad time on the web. For example, this page loads 22 external JavaScript files not to mention the JS built into the page itself.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
PGB1

Thanks VanSmith for your reply.

Your words explained what's what & who's who quite thoroughly, thus clearing up my confusion.

I appreciate your help and your help, HarryB2448. I learned quite a bit today. It is always a good day when something is learned.

Enjoy Today!
Paul
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail Quota Warning | Deleting Old Passwords In Keychain Question »