New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Security Awareness Discussion of all things related to the security of Apple devices.

Compromised Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DragerMAC

DragerMAC is on a distinguished road

Hopefully the post monitor snobs allow this to be posted in this forum. I can't post it to Security Awareness.

I recently had to reinstall everything on my Mac Book Pro and iPhone because I had thought I picked up a keystroke logger virus from a link I cut and paste into Safari from a troll box on a crypto coin trading site. Short of the shady management and operations of the site owner and admins the crypto coin exchange site will remain unnamed. The reason I think I had a logger is because, I was logged into the crypto exchange and someone was able to log into my account and boot me off while I was logged in. They started to sell off my crypto coins. So to be safe I backed up necessary files and wiped my hard drive clean with a reinstall of both my Mac Book Pro and my iPhone. Is there a way to double check my Mac is clean and how do I use my Mac to double check thumb drives that are potentially infected. I want to make sure my laptop is clean before I plug in my iPhone and co-mingle everything again. Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Not sure why you couldn't post this here or what is meant by "post monitor snobs". The site was a little balky when I tried to move the post so maybe things are being a bit slow tonight.

As far as your question is concerned I'll have to leave a thorough answer to folks more well-versed in this area than I am. One possibility that occurs to me is that the password wasn't swiped by a key logger on your Mac but by other means such as gaining the information from the site you were going to or via a "man in the middle attack".

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

1. Malware ≠ virus.

2. I suspect this covers exactly what happened to you: Briefly: Thunderbolt RAID storage, OS X Bitcoin Trojan Horse theft | Electronista (scroll down a bit)

3. Trojans are also not viruses.
QUOTE Thanks
DragerMAC

DragerMAC is on a distinguished road

So how do I fix my problem? I did what I thought was a complete reinstall of my os. I'm still experiencing problems at the exchanges and other areas. This problem is really frustrating and a huge impairment. The problems I'm experiencing are logins at Cryptsy. I have also experienced the same problem at MTGox with their "green" address bar. There is a green security text that is supposed to appear in the address bar. The green text is not always present which leads me to think the trojan is still present or I'm part of some sort of man in the middle attack. What are some of the other possibilities and fixes to the problems I'm having. Most important what are my fix options. Mirroring?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragerMAC View Post
... The problems I'm experiencing are logins at Cryptsy.
What sort of problem?
If someone has guessed your password and logged into your account, have you used the 'Forgot Password' link in the log in box to have your password reset and have an email sent to you?

If someone did guess your password - wiping your machine would do nothing to cause them to forget that password.

Quote:
I have also experienced the same problem at MTGox with their "green" address bar. There is a green security text that is supposed to appear in the address bar. The green text is not always present ...
I've run into very few sites that have "every" page on their site encrypted. You would need to ask MTGox about any particular pages and whether they should be appearing encrypted.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Potential new malware for OS X | password protected »