New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Security Awareness Discussion of all things related to the security of Apple devices.

Best antivirus for Mac

Thread Closed

burnedfaceless

burnedfaceless has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15" Core i7 2.3ghz retina-MacBook OS 10.9.1

I was wondering what the best antivirus for Mac is as far as preventative.

I am running a new OS and want to keep everything running this fast.

Thanks for input.
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), dual 23" Samsung LED Displays

You don't need one.

As long as you don't download and install random stuff from untrusted sources, you got a better chance of winning the Illinois state lottery then getting a virus that effects a Mac..

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
burnedfaceless

Yea but lets say I wanted one.
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnedfaceless View Post

No antivrus software is going to assist with that in any operating system.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
burnedfaceless

Can you just recommend a preventative antivirus? I can call Apple but this is easier.
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

As far as I am aware, none of the long time members here use an antivirus with OS X. So, getting one of us to recommend one... Since none of us have actually tested any of them, nor in fact even have one installed... it's pretty hard to recommend something we have never used.

Have a read here and for some actual testing see here - the latter the best place to get your info related to OS X vulnerabilities currently. You could take particular notice of:

Quote:
However, it is important to keep in mind that Mac OS X already does an admirable job of protecting against malware. At this time, there is no known malware capable of infecting a Mac running a properly-updated version of Mac OS X 10.6 or later, with all security settings left at the default (at a minimum).

And the mere act of running a full time a/v on your machine is going to slow it down - some of them more than others - defeating the purpose you stated for wanting one.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

ClamXAv if you insist!

http://www.clamxav.com/
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
If you install antivirus (which is unnecessary)...you will actually slow your computer down (anti-virus programs run in the background using system resources).

You've been warned. Go ahead & install it and learn the hard way. Then you'll be back asking how to uninstall the antivirus app you were so keen on installing.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
burnedfaceless

Look I'm trying to be discreet. Something that can pick it up beforehand. Clam XAV did not pick up everything...
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

ClamXAV picks up everything that will affect OSX. if you are talking Windows virus's, since they will not run on OSX, do you really care?
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Look I'm trying to be discreet. Something that can pick it up beforehand. Clam XAV did not pick up everything...
Sorry. Looks like you're going to have to learn the hard way!

We've had lots of these antivirus discussions...we are not covering "new ground". If you want anti-virus on your computer...it is certainly your decision & choice. We are just trying to make you the beneficiary of our knowledge & experience.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
burnedfaceless

Ok well what screwed me last time was installing stuff from unidentified developers. Changing my security settings.

What do you think of this? Third download from the bottom?

MySQL :: Download MySQL Community Server

Yes I understand if I keep the garden closed I'm good. But I need to get some work done today.

Thanks not trying to be condescending.
burnedfaceless

Even if the program is not malicious in its nature it opens holes, correct?

So an antivirus would be desirable? Right?
burnedfaceless

Look I ran clamxav it picked up some stuff. Then after the fact the files were altered on my computer.

There are two possibilities here
1. I'm psychotic
2. My mac had a virus clam missed
pigoo3

Quote:
So an antivirus would be desirable? Right?
Are we in the same thread?? I think that question was answered multiple times above.

- Nick

Thread Closed

« mac malware? VBS-Malware-gen | Should i be concerned? (with photo) »