New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Security Awareness Discussion of all things related to the security of Apple devices.

Best antivirus for Mac

Thread Closed

Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), dual 23" Samsung LED Displays

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnedfaceless View Post
Apple's brand image is no WINDOWS. That's crucial to their marketing.
Hmm sorry.. Had to fix that for you..

Speaking of security on iPhones, Macs and such. Has anyone else seen the stupid propaganda that NBC has been spouting out about "don't go to Russia for the olympics, you will get hacked."?

OMFG, really.. Then they go to show a video of a guy opening a brand new MBA out of its box, btw the ripped open the box as if "this expert" was such an idiot he couldn't even open an apple box. Set it up on an open network, didn't install any security software, didn't even turn on software firewall and then left it on the network for an hour with no password and then claimed he was hacked. Then the computer he was using to monitor the network activity was an Ubuntu based laptop. Another WTF?

Point being we have so many so called experts out there and the media really blows this mess out of proportion.

And also network security and virus protection are the users responsibility. Expect exploits when you don't turn on Firewall, don't turn off File Sharing, don't turn off Blue tooth when not needed, don't turn off wifi when not needed, don't use secure networks or even better physical cable connections and turn off the internet when not needed. And last but not least, create a User account on Windows and stop using the admin account. These are common things to do when traveling. While nothing will prevent a good cracker from eventually getting into your system. But if you make it hard enough for him/her they will just move to an easier target.

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
burnedfaceless

burnedfaceless has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15" Core i7 2.3ghz retina-MacBook OS 10.9.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
@burnedfaceless

You've made you're point and it appears that no amount of proof or validity is going to change your mind. You of course are entitled to your opinion, but let's get on with helping others instead of all this back and forth.

Thanks.
Well we can agree I made my point. I'm open to proof or validity but it hasn't been presented.
McBie

McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

Looking back for 20 years and looking forward from today's threat landscape ....
If you think that technology can solve your IT Security problems, then you don't understand the technology and you don't understand the problems.
All problems start and end at layer 8 of the OSI model .... that is the layer between the chair and the keyboard.
Everybody talks about malware ( without going into semantics ) whilst all you have to do is ask people for their password.... this has worked in the past and will keep on working. People simply talk a lot.
Malware is not going to be the issue moving forward, people behaviour is.
User awareness is what will help people protect themselves.
Very simple things often get overlooked, ie. if you did not specifically went looking for it, don't install it.
Sometimes the mouse is faster than the brain and people just push buttons until no more buttons appear.

If you really look at malware these days, then the challenge is not to get rid of it, but knowing that you have been hit in the first place.
Saying that the threats are low for OS X is not correct, the threats are the same for any OS.
Vulnerabilities in the OS & apps ( or lack thereof ) and people behaviour are the true indicators for risk.
( A great example is people willingly switching off the built-in controls to protect them ... ( face palm ))
Saying that Unix has less vulnerabilities than other OS's is correct, but don't forget that there are many layers of code running on top of Unix to make it OS X.

- Keep your OS and applications up to date.
- Use apps from known developers ( and pay for them )
- Ensure you have reliable backups.
- Do you need Java and Flash ?
- Do you need to have Admin credentials to use your machine ?
- Don't install anything that you have not specifically downloaded.

User awareness ( times 3 ) and communication is what will help people stay safe, no amount of technology will be able to protect someone from doing malicious things to computers.

Just a couple of things that will make your life easier ... and by all means, enjoy your Mac.

Cheers.... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
Exodist

Exodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really niceExodist is just really nice
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), dual 23" Samsung LED Displays

Mc Bie, is sooooo correct. Phishing is the biggest security issues ever. I bet I get 5 emails a week from "WoW Tech Support" or "Mods needing me to validate my username / password" oh and click this link to do so.. /roll eyes.. Also You would be surprised how at how many phone calls some companies get from their so called "IT Department" asking So and So for their username and password, that "something is wrong with their account." And the morons in the office up stairs will give it to them.. /facepalm..

I think I send about 150+ emails a day to the junk bin due to phishing related mess..

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
burnedfaceless

burnedfaceless has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15" Core i7 2.3ghz retina-MacBook OS 10.9.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
You're right, burnedfaceless --- you've presented no proof or validity that the wide array of non-kooks who have cheerfully contributed their time and expertise (which amounts to mountains more than any individual person, including you, will ever have) are wrong.

So we keep saying what we KNOW TO BE TRUE: there is no reason to run an anti-virus program on your Mac, with one exception: if you are running a partition with Windows on it, that partition should use a Windows anti-virus program as one would put on any Windows installation.
Is the burden of proof on me?

It's an operating system it's susceptible to viruses. 2+2=4.

Whatever I had clam xav didn't pick up and my company saved from the consultant's advice.
docx

docx has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: I Mac 27-inch 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 12GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 4GB ram

You just cant help some people.
Why ask for advice if you if you are not prepared to listen.
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

And this one has now run it's course.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Thread Closed

« mac malware? VBS-Malware-gen | Should i be concerned? (with photo) »