New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Security Awareness Discussion of all things related to the security of Apple devices.

Best antivirus for Mac

Thread Closed

Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone5s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyon83 View Post
when I mentioned Norton anti-virus being on Apple systems, I was referring to their employee-business Apple computers.
This is surely so they cannot be accused of propagating Windows viruses to any PC that may be connected to an OSX machine.

As previous posters, who know far more about this topic than I do, have repeatedly asked - if you are aware of a single OSX virus do please name it for the benefit of all.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
burnedfaceless

burnedfaceless has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15" Core i7 2.3ghz retina-MacBook OS 10.9.1

I haven't read all of this, but few things
1. link to antivir
2. Being careful with email I need elaboration.

When I reported the issue to the technology company I work for he recommended that I reformat and start over. But that's a lot of work.

Anyways clamxav found a ton of stuff with email (and I used the email app for a while)

I didn't download any emails or open links.

I thought I was good for a few days but then when I emailed my contact that clamxav picked everything up the files were altered again and I did a reformat.

The dumbest thing I have done in this thread is post the program I installed, which is difficult to install and doesn't automatically update.
burnedfaceless

burnedfaceless has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15" Core i7 2.3ghz retina-MacBook OS 10.9.1

Oh and after the format everything is A OK.
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Since the first time posters - that always seem to pop up in these threads and are almost always the only ones telling folks they "must" have an anti-virus software - many of whom, simultaneously have no real knowledge about "current" vulnerabilities and have a fallacious belief that running such software keeps them fully protected with no worries about where they go, what they download, what email attachments they open, etc...

Anyone really interested in the subject needs to have a read here.

I am quite sure I fall into at least the category of those whom he would ascribe into the category of only providing "partial" information. So, have a full read of it yourself - all links included.

You'll find:
1) a page that lists every know pice of malware that is now or has ever been found "in the wild" for OS X - up to a count of 44 currently
2) a list of categories of folks that may want to run an anti-virus
3) current testing (Jan 2014) of the major OS X anti-virus software for those that decide they do want one

Everyone should make their own "informed" decision - not one based on the scare tactics of those selling this type of software.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Since the first time posters - that always seem to pop up in these threads and are almost always the only ones telling folks they "must" have an anti-virus software - many of whom, simultaneously have no real knowledge about "current" vulnerabilities and have a fallacious belief that running such software keeps them fully protected with no worries about where they go, what they download, what email attachments they open, etc...

I am quite sure I fall into at least the category of those whom he would ascribe into the category of only providing "partial" information. So, have a full read of it yourself - all links included.

You'll find:
1) a page that lists every known piece of malware that is now or has ever been found "in the wild" for OS X - up to a count of 44 currently
3) current testing (Jan 2014) of the major OS X anti-virus software for those that decide they do want one

Everyone should make their own "informed" decision - not one based on the scare tactics of those selling this type of software.

dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

For the OP in case I did not post it.

Avira Free Antivirus software - Download free virus protection now

It scores almost to the top of that test Bobtomay posted and seems to not drag the system down.
MacInWin

MacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud ofMacInWin has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post

You'll find:
1) a page that lists every known piece of malware that is now or has ever been found "in the wild" for OS X - up to a count of 44 currently

That was a good read, and has been updated to reflect the state of affairs as of the Mavericks release. I second your recommendation that anyone concerned about Malware should read it, all of it.
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Have been running Avira Mac Security merely as a test as I normally never run any AV software. As there no are OS X viruses and very few malware threats which Apple Security Updates keep on top of, five full scans have found ........... nothing on each occasion.

As for Nortons, as said they made marvellous products back in OS 7, OS 8 and OS 9 days. Disk Doctor was a must have. For OS X - no thanks.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
As for Nortons, as said they made marvellous products back in OS 7, OS 8 and OS 9 days. Disk Doctor was a must have. For OS X - no thanks.
Same for the Windows versions. But that was before super programmer and guru Peter Norton sold the company to Symantec. I still have old versions of Norton Utilities for Dos, and Windows. Also the Norton Commander, Disk Doctor, and Norton Backup. All great utilities while they were still owned by Peter Norton. After Symantec got hold of them, they turned to - well you know.
lclev

lclev is a jewel in the roughlclev is a jewel in the roughlclev is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Early 2011, i7, 16GB, 1TB HD; 13" MB Air, Mid 2013, i5, 4GB, 250GB SSD; iPhone 6+, 128GB

Okay, I admit I am new to the mac world but I have over 30 years in the PC world and I work in IT. I have antivirus on all Windows computers both personal and at work. When I got my MBP it just went against the grain to not install some sort of antivirus. I use my mac to download files and programs for my windows computer. If the file is a virus my mac won't be affected and the antivirus will catch it - or it has worked that way so far.

After researching several sites I desided to use Sophos. Its free and has a small footprint. I have not seen any slowdown of any kind since I installed it.

This is just my preference and opinion...for what it is worth.

BTW: We just added our first iMac at work. So far I have not suggested any additional apps other than Onyx, which I will use to maintain it. We shall see.

Lisa
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Same for the Windows versions. But that was before super programmer and guru Peter Norton sold the company to Symantec. I still have old versions of Norton Utilities for Dos, and Windows. Also the Norton Commander, Disk Doctor, and Norton Backup. All great utilities while they were still owned by Peter Norton. After Symantec got hold of them, they turned to - well you know.
BOY - a blast from the past - Peter Norton was one of my 'to go to' guys back in those DOS & early Windows days - use to buy his Utilities & AV programs, and his books - Wiki article HERE - born in 1943 (few years older than me) but still alive. As Bob Hope would sing, 'thanks for the memories' - Dave
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I bought and used Norton till he left and I saw things go downhill.
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Well, I'm reading that link for the 3rd time (I believe) and give a second 'thumbs up'!

Now I'm not running any 'malware software' on our two Macs (behind a router which is enough for me) - but might be worth some discussion for those just getting into these malware & browser decisions - there are at least 3 items that always seem to come up in this discussion, i.e. 1) Adobe Flash; 2) JAVA; and 3) JAVA Script - what to do?

For myself and from my readings, Adobe Flash & JAVA Script seem NOT to be a malware concern (of course always keep these updated), BUT JAVA is indicated to be potentially dangerous, esp. if not kept up to date? In going into Safari Preferences (on Mavericks), I can find only Java Script as an option to disable (probably not necessary) - SO, bottom line is JAVA (differences HERE) still even an issue in the newer OS Xs? Thanks for any input - Dave
bobtomay

I believe it is with Mavericks (maybe 10.8, I forget), Apple quit providing Java with the OS package. Hence - no button to turn it off in the Security tab of Safari preferences any longer. Java now has to be downloaded/installed direct from Oracle.

In 10.9 it is found in System Preferences - Java (down on the bottom row - if you have it installed).

vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

The easiest way to avoid Java flaws is to just avoid Java entirely if you don't need it. If you do, be vigilant about keeping it up to date along with keeping yourself aware of what you're doing with Java apps.

Flash is slowly becoming avoidable but it's not quite there yet (especially for online video). As with Java, keep that one up to date and be smart.

Javascript is trickier since you can't really avoid it...at all. For instance, there are 21 different Javascript files loaded for this page alone. If you want to avoid it, you're going to have a very boring internet experience. This doesn't mean you can't be safe though.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post

Thread Closed

« mac malware? VBS-Malware-gen | Should i be concerned? (with photo) »