New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Security Awareness Discussion of all things related to the security of Apple devices.

General Security Tips for your Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Found it!!
Quote:
mitigating the propogation and installation
Propagation... Didn't even notice the other spelling of favorite.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
macgig

macgig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 gigs ram | 10.6.8

22 yrs on macs and I've always used some sort of free antivirus protection. And i've never had a virus or malware issue that I was aware of.

I recommend using some sort of antivirus protection since it's free. I used clamxAV for years but the interface is pretty bad, so I recently changed to avast. avast works well on the PC so it made sense to use it on the mac. I had to disable the online security extension for avast (for the Mac) since it was slowing firefox down to a crawl. works fine now with that extension disabled. avast seems to work well in the background and I don't have to do anything since it auto updates itself. if you want once a month or can run a scan if you like.

common sense and knowledge go a long way. watch what your clicking on. Never click banner ads. the ad may say it's going to apple.com but it may be going somewhere else. never open email attachments from anyone including friends unless you first make sure the friend did send send it.

most of the bad guys still go after windows users but that could change. better safe than sorry.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgig View Post
most of the bad guys still go after windows users but that could change. better safe than sorry.
It has and did so a long time ago - malware is not new to OS X.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
macgig

macgig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 gigs ram | 10.6.8

yeah Im getting old. can't keep up with the new info anymore. things change too fast for me. lol
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgig View Post
yeah Im getting old. can't keep up with the new info anymore. things change too fast for me. lol
Mac-Forums is a great place to visit frequently...exactly for reasons/info like this. If something dangerous should appear...we should be one of the first to know about it.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
filipeduardovic

filipeduardovic is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac vintage 2007 with SSD, MacbookPro 17", both "Mavericked" for the moment, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 4

You might mention a certain dastardly trick that can be played on the web: looking for a particular video (about Byron) I found myself with the page of academic videos from Italian Radio that seemed appropriate. To make a long story short, I ended up committing myself to a €90 payment to something called Italia-programmi. I took my data to the internet police here in Rome and it turned out that the organization (or is it organisation in Canadian?) was well known to them. Needless to say, I never paid Italia-programmi, which will certainly be in operation under a new name at this point. My point is that there seem to be rogue sites that can blot out virtuous ones.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Security Review | Possible virus or malware »