Security concern

Security concern
    While I was out my wife had a pop up on the screen saying "updates are available" and she clicked on it. She cannot remember if the software was identified, all she recalls is a logo of an earth globe with two counter clockwise arrows circling it. Can anyone identify the source? She is worried that she has downloaded malware

Thank you

poppi

Security concern
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    Open the App Store - go to the Updates tab - it will show you the recent updates and the day they were updated.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Security concern
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Was it this logo (it's not counter clockwise but it sounds like the logo you're looking for)? If so, that's the old Apple update logo.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Security concern

Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    Was it this logo (it's not counter clockwise but it sounds like the logo you're looking for)? If so, that's the old Apple update logo.
    That is exactly the logo we saw. Is it possible Apple is using the old update logo or might it be a scam?

Thank you

poppi

Security concern
    Specs:
    2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.5
    If that is the logo you saw, then the post of BobTomay gives some good advice.
    If Apple updated some apps, then they will show up with date and time they were installed.

Cheers ... McBie
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Security concern

Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    Open the App Store - go to the Updates tab - it will show you the recent updates and the day they were updated.
    I followed your advice bot cannot see an "Updates tab". Am I missing something?

poppi

Security concern
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by poppi View Post
    That is exactly the logo we saw. Is it possible Apple is using the old update logo or might it be a scam?

Thank you

poppi
    Whether or not it's the "old" logo all depends on how old your Mac is. If you've got an older install of OS X, it's not out of place. What version of OS X are you using?
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Security concern
    Specs:
    2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.5
    I guess there is a bit of confusion .....
    What OS version are you on ?
    If you are on 10.9.x .... Select the Apple logo in the top left hand corner and click Software Update.
    That will show you a screen with all recent updates ( and any pending updates ) for your machine.

Cheers ... McBie
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Thread Information