New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Security Awareness Discussion of all things related to the security of Apple devices.

Strange occurance?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jonzjob

Jonzjob is an unknown at this point

I was looking at another forum I'm on and this came up. Any ideas folks please? If so I will refer the poster across to here..

"I had a really wierd experience yesterday. I was on my iMac and had safari up looking for carpet tiles. It was about the sixth site that I clicked on when all of a sudden the screen changed and it was filled with a police web site, and then a box came up stating that I had been caught and all my files had been encrypted. It then accused me of downloading illegal content such as music, films and more unpleasant things. I could not get rid of it. I tried everything I knew. I e-mailed a very good friend and he came up with the solution and once again I can use safari.

I feel this was a scam as it was headed metropolitan police serious crime unit and then below that it said, issued by Cheshire police. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but it was quite scary at first. I was under the impression that iMacs were immune to viruses and scams but my friend said not any more."

John.
I have discovered that wine gets better with age. The older I get the more I like it ! http://jonzjob.hpage.com/
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
I was under the impression that iMacs were immune to viruses and scams but my friend said not any more."
There are no viruses in the wild that can infect your Mac. However, scams, malware, and schemes are not limited to any one particular platform. Common sense and avoiding the type of web sites where those things are likely to happen is still the best antidote.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

As a suggestion John go into Safari Preferences > Security and select all the boxes including block pop ups.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Jonzjob

Jonzjob is an unknown at this point

I have passed the thread link onto the guy in question, so he should look at it soon.

I use Firefox, veru occasionally Safari, so I will also look at the settings and tick all of the boxes.

Thank you.

Edit : - Done Harry, they were already ticked, but good to check..

John.
I have discovered that wine gets better with age. The older I get the more I like it ! http://jonzjob.hpage.com/
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« - | Best Free Anti Virus Software for 2013 »