Gateway started selling The Sims?!

So my mother has gotten into games recently (on her PC), and she goes to Goodwill and buys seemingly any and every game she sees, which isn't really a bad thing as they're only $1.99....even though she did get this REALLY old one which wouldn't even work (One of the system requirements was: A hard drive), but she has picked up some games she's now really addicted to like Syberia, Diner Dash 2, Cubis, Super Collapse, and she's found The Apprentice LA and Deal or No Deal, it's really cool how you find some crazy things at thrift stores.

Anyway, we've been trying to get her into the Sims because she would love that kind of thing, we have the Sims Mega Deluxe which we shelled out $45 for last year, but the data2.somethingorother file is corrupt or something, i've read that a lot of people have had that problem, which is $45 down the drain as you can't even install it.....anyway, so she went to goodwill and found The Sims, for $1.99! Crazy. It's nothing fancy, just says The Sims, I don't even think it's a deluxe edition, but oh well. I can't find any system requirements on the case though, but it didn't come with the box.

Anyway, I open the case and it says Gateway all over it.
    "Buy the following expansion packs from Gateway, and save $9.99!"
    "Join The Sims club @ Gateway"

And i'm thinking, what?
    So apparently Gateway is an authorized EA dealer?

Will this pose any problems installing The Sims on any old PC? Her PC happens to be a Gateway, but if I wanted to install it on a recently dug up and upgraded HP to cure my Sims addiction, would I be able to do it?
    It has the serial number and everything on it, and we have all the expansion packs from Mega Deluxe.

I just thought it was weird, I didn't know that before, we bought her Gateway back in early 2004 and we didn't see anything about that in the Gateway shop.

Anybody know anything else about this?

Center Line, Michigan
    MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8
    I have that exact same copy, and it will run on any PC, so long as you have the serial number.
    MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
    MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009

Thread Information