New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Putting a sticker on your laptop's case...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

Kinda been wondering if putting a sticker on the back of the screen would void my warranty. I've read on the net that it doesn't, but just figured I'd get the second opinion from a source I trust.

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

If you open up a Macbook to do anything other than upgrade the RAM and hard drive, you're voiding the warranty.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
veritas

veritas is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: imac 17", 2g ram, 160 g, final cut express

nothing a blow dryer , and peeling it back softly can't do in case u need to take it in.
QUOTE Thanks
Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

Well, I got to chat with an Apple rep on the website a few minutes ago, figured I'd post this so you all know for the future.

I pretended to be a concerned parent for this scenario, just in case there's any confusion.

Tim: Hi, my name is Tim. Welcome to Apple! How are you?
Me: I'm good, I have a question about purchasing AppleCare for my son's MacBook
Tim: I'm happy to assist with that.
Me: Okay, well, he's had the MacBook for about 8 months, and we bought it from an Apple Authorized Reseller (Micro Center, specifically), and he has a band's sticker on the top of the case. Can he still get the AppleCare, and does the sticker void the warranty?
Tim: He can still get the AppleCare. Is he a student?
Me: Yes, he's currently a University student. So, the sticker hasn't voided his warranty?
Tim: A lot of students do that. As long as it doesn't cause the issue and isn't permanent, it's not an issue. If he were to carve the name into the case with a pen knife, that wouldn't be wise.
Me: Haha, I can't imagine it would be!

So, for the definitive answer, no, the warranty is NOT voided by a sticker, as long as it doesn't interfere with normal operation of the machine.

Woo hoo!

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Ahh, I thought you meant literally behind the screen in order to change the color of the Apple logo. Some people have done that after their warranty has expired. Didn't know you meant an actual sticker on the outside, because that's perfectly fine.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
saxnbass

saxnbass will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G

I love stickers to add a little personalized flair to some of my items. With my MacBook, I have a Speck clear case and have the stickers on it. That way if I ever want to sell the MB, no issues about the stickers or residue.

Eric
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, Core Duo; iMac: 2.4GHz, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD. Both running Leopard; 160GB iPod Classic; and 16GB iPhone 3G, 1st 8GB Gen iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Happy Birthday Schweb & Rman!!! | This week's 99 cent movie rental? »