New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

nintendo wii and a mac ...niceeeeeee

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

faz

faz is on a distinguished road

hey people i wanted a very simple question asked

how do i get my wii working on my mac?

i did a little research and people say go for the elgato hybrid usb device. fair enough i hear it works really well but i dont think im willing to pay 85 for a usb stick for my wii.

i was wondering if something like this would work?

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...&nplm=M9267G/A

or does anyone know of any cheaper devices that do the same. im not fussed about recording footage i just want to play!

any way i hope u all can help
thanks

faz
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

That adapter is only for video OUT, not video IN, which is what you need to use the iMac's screen for the Wii.

You're going to need some sort of USB or Firewire device to play the Wii on your iMac. Elgato just happens to make some of the best devices for such a purpose.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yep, Kash and the other advice you've gotten is correct.
The ElGato devices are the way to go.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Joe Redifer

Joe Redifer will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc

No matter what you do you'll probably have a larger-than-normal delay which will make the games unplayable. Just use a real TV.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future

I thought that would actually be a problem, but after looking into Elgato's products, it seems as though that delay is no longer an issue with the latest generation of video input devices.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
yakuza278

yakuza278 is on a distinguished road

I have a relatively new macbook (purchased in July), and I was also wondering about how to do this...
I've been looking at this product:

http://www.vdigi.com/index.php?page=...chk=1&Itemid=1

(review)
http://www.wiinintendo.net/2007/10/3...-cable-review/

Would this (maybe paired with another cable) work?
I'm looking for zero latency, in case that would be a factor...
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

That cable by itself wouldn't let you play the Wii on your iMac. All it does is provide a way for you to connect your Wii via a VGA cable. You would still need some sort of device that lets you input video into the iMac.

There are several products out there that will let you do this, but the only ones that I know for sure will work flawlessly with a video game console are the ones made by Elgato.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
yakuza278

yakuza278 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, that's what I meant by pairing it with another cable...
Such as:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...&nplm=M9320G/A

Would those two together (the VD-W2 VGA and the Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter) work?

Looks like both cables are female....Hard to tell though. If this is true, would those two, plus some sort of adapter, create a connection with no latency?

Elgato seems like it could be perfect...I'm just worried about the "delay of only [a] few milliseconds" (http://faq.elgato.com/index.php/faq/more/443/).
I'm looking for ZERO delay, if at all possible...
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

No Mac has a Video Input. That cable is for Output to an external monitor. You need a device that give your Mac a Video Input. You are trying to plug the output of the Mac into the Output of a Wii. It will not work without a video capture device.
QUOTE Thanks
Joe Redifer

Joe Redifer will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakuza278
I'm looking for ZERO delay, if at all possible...
It is! Hook it up to a real TV. Granted LCD, DLP and Plasmas will still have delays. Go for a CRT. Also remember that Mac Laptops and Cinema Displays are not true widescreen. Their aspect is an odd 16:10 instead of 16:9, so they are less wide than a real TV.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Guac and Roll | Will Smith's iMac in I am Legend »