New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

How to ask for a girl's number?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

calenerd

calenerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac

Hello. I'm 17 and on Monday I saw a really pretty and friendly girl working in a store at a street selling clothes and all. I went into the shop, asked her a lil' about the clothes, and then went away after looking around. Now I'm deciding(actually it all depends whether I'll be able to get the guts to do it or not) to ask for her number this Friday when I make a trip down to the street again with my friend. Anybody knows how should I go about doing it since she's working in the store and I won't get to speak to her for more than a couple sentences in case her superior catches her doing so. I'm thinking, "Hello. I know I'm a lil' direct here, but if you don't mind, could I have your number? If you don't want to, it's okay ya." Comments or suggestions anyone?

It's weird posting this on an Apple forum, but lol this is the only place I got.
QUOTE Thanks
tobywuk

tobywuk can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano

ask her how long she has worked there, where she is from etc.. to start a conversation then just ask her if she fancies doing something sometime. If she says yes then this means she is intrested.. exchange numbers to organise it.

sorted.

If you get nervouse tell yourself what have you got to loose. if she thinks ur a muppet you never have to see her again and dont have to go in the shop. if she is a nice person she will be flattered you asked her even if she says no. if she says something cocky or nasty she is really not interested.
QUOTE Thanks
dents291002

dents291002 is on a distinguished road

yeh spot on well said,, good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
calenerd

calenerd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac

I don't think she can get the time to talk such a convo with me since the shop is extremely small, and pretty crowded at times. She wouldn't be able to get away and speak to me for so long.
QUOTE Thanks
tobywuk

tobywuk can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano

keep it short and sweet then... ask her if she has had a busy day, then ask her if she fancies doing something when she is off. you cant script asking some one out, its one of thoes things you have to play by ear.
QUOTE Thanks
PerryLynch

PerryLynch has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 4GB

OK, 20+ years ago I would end up in the same situation. Here's what I learned over time: She's already decided on an answer in case you come back in the shop and ask her out. It's up to you to find out what that answer is.

Be presentable. Go in and buy a shirt or something from her, and then she has an excuse to talk to you for a longer period of time. Have trouble making up your mind between 2 or 3 shirts, and get her opinion. After she's helped you - and you've been asking her about HER during this time as well - ask her if she'd like to have coffee / tea / lunch / go out sometime.

Regardless of the above option, suggest locations that are somewhat public, and near her store, so that she doesn't get a chance to feel 'on edge.' A daylight date/meeting is the thing to do, these days - one without alcohol.

Most importantly: BE YOURSELF.

Perry M Lynch, CISSP CISA
Mac Newbie, Security not-so-newbie
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

You're in Singapore?
Most folk here are USA and UK. It would be hard giving advise not knowing the culture and what is expected (or tolerated).
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio View Post
You're in Singapore?
Most folk here are USA and UK. It would be hard giving advise not knowing the culture and what is expected (or tolerated).
Good advice.
It is also not such a good idea to ask here while she is working.
Last thing a girl really wants is to be hit on or chatted up while she is trying to work at her job.
Lingering around... buying something (that you are only buying for the sake of getting a moment to talk to her)... A guy can score a big fat 10 on her "annoying-creep-o-meter" that way.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
MACyMouse

MACyMouse has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs

When I was about 17 I worked at a department store checkout.... had a guy come through my register..... he ended up waiting for me til I got off work and then asked me out.

He was clutzy about it - watching me and walking backwards and tripping over a garbage can. Thought it was funny.. went out with him for about a week. LOL...

But like giulio said... depends on culture. And yes....... just be yourself.
QUOTE Thanks
cheesybanana

cheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nice
Mac Specs: C2D MacBook Pro

Just be like:

'Listen, I know you want everything I have to offer, so let's make this easy. I will write a number down on this piece of paper right here *grab scrap sheet of paper and write your number on it* and you can be free to pursue this at your leisure.'

Then walk away before she has time to reject you. It's foolproof.

OR

You can pull the ol' kindergarten trick. When you go to check out, hand her a folded sheet of paper that says 'Will you go on a date with me? Yes/No/Maybe' Girls go crazy for stuff like that.

Dost thou think, because thou art virtuous, there shall be no more cakes and ale?
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

cheesybanana, you earned your name! =)

I think sincerity would work best. And like others said, you don't want to be a pest at her job.
Just say you'd like to have lunch (or whatever meal) with her during her break, or after she gets off work.
It's fast, simple and painless. You get an instant answer... no more killing yourself from the inside out!
QUOTE Thanks
MegaRoss

MegaRoss has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Strike a conversation, ask her if she wants to go for a drink, job done.

Asking a complete stranger for her number would be stupid and lets be honest she could be a crazy phsyco or shallow.

Man of much music.
QUOTE Thanks
puaerotch

puaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of lightpuaerotch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iBook G4 OSX Tiger

OR for another fun idea, you could tell her you are psychic and that you are great at guessing phone numbers. Then you spout off some random phone number and when she tells you you're wrong, she'll have to tell you what it really is to prove it.

Ridiculous- adjective: deserving or inviting derision or mockery; absurd. ex. It is ridiculous how many people think the word ridiculous is spelled with an 'e'.
QUOTE Thanks
gomez1018

gomez1018 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by puaerotch View Post
OR for another fun idea, you could tell her you are psychic and that you are great at guessing phone numbers. Then you spout off some random phone number and when she tells you you're wrong, she'll have to tell you what it really is to prove it.
Ha, thats fantastic. If i wasn't engaged I would so try this it just for kicks lol.
QUOTE Thanks
gomez1018

gomez1018 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by puaerotch View Post
Ha, thats fantastic. If i wasn't engaged I would so try this it just for kicks lol.

But in all honestly like everyone said be yourself, and tell her you would lreally liek to get to know her and if should would like to get some coffee on her break.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I got me an LG Chocolate! | New robot for computer help »