New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

The number is growing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

Perhaps it is time we begin to listen to reason and do some more investigating:

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.c...8-3c63dc2d02cb
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

Many of them are members of the IPCC. Interesting that they didn't get listened to when the report first came out.
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

Hear, hear! I will read this report.

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaNoHair View Post
Perhaps it is time we begin to listen to reason and do some more investigating:

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.c...8-3c63dc2d02cb
I've been saying this for a long time. Bet none of them get the Nobel prize for having the courage to stand up and say what they see. Lets see how long it takes this thread to descend into an environmental flame fest.

QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

@Moderators
May be you should open this thread and give the members another chance for an ethical debate.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by novicew View Post
@Moderators
May be you should open this thread and give the members another chance for an ethical debate.
I suggest we all skip that thread and maybe try here. I'll lay $$$ and odds that this one will end up the same way though.

QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
Many of them are members of the IPCC. Interesting that they didn't get listened to when the report first came out.
Good point. They use the scientists' connection with the IPCC to give them credit, but the article itself is in dispute with the IPCC's conclusions. What is that all about???

Quote:
"Over 400 Prominent Scientists Disputed Man-Made Global Warming Claims in 2007"
Ok, fine, but now many scientists agree? 200, 500, 4,000??? This is the classic "4 out of 5 doctors agree" marketing garbage you see in shady product advertisements. Anybody can round up enough people to agree with them in order to look more credible and impressive while completely ignoring those who don't agree. I don't know about you, but I feel pretty insulted that they think I could be swayed by such a common and weak ploy. Of course, as soon as I saw it was from the government, I knew it would be some knee-jerk garbage.

I am not a scientist, so I don't have a say either way, but there's a few pretty simple things that are undeniable to even the simplest minded person.

1. all the pollution can't possibly have a completely benign effect on the environment, no matter how big or small.

2. there is more to environmental conservation than global warming issues, but that's the only one that can be disputed, so that's what dissenters choose to latch on to and debate.

3. Honestly, doesn't anyone agree with the old saying "better safe than sorry" any more? If you see a forecast that it's going to rain today, you probably take an umbrella. There's no telling if it really will rain, so why do you take the umbrella?

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

1) Agreed. Cleaning up to keep from killing ourselves I have no issues with.

2) That is only because that is what is being foisted so frantically upon the public by Al and the UN.

3) "Better Safe Than Sorry" is fine, but not the frantic almost desperate stance that is being taken by many of the politicians leading this crusade. Better emissions standards, recycling and so on are all good things. But the government(s) or the UN stepping in and forcibly implementing anything is the wrong way to go about it. Remember the adage, "You catch more flies with Honey than Vinegar". If you sell this right people will gladly be onboard with it. If you force it upon them they will spit it back at you.

QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
I am not a scientist, so I don't have a say either way, but there's a few pretty simple things that are undeniable to even the simplest minded person.

1. all the pollution can't possibly have a completely benign effect on the environment, no matter how big or small.

2. there is more to environmental conservation than global warming issues, but that's the only one that can be disputed, so that's what dissenters choose to latch on to and debate.

3. Honestly, doesn't anyone agree with the old saying "better safe than sorry" any more? If you see a forecast that it's going to rain today, you probably take an umbrella. There's no telling if it really will rain, so why do you take the umbrella?
Those are some very good points but there is 1) a big difference between being anti-pollution (which I think all of us are) and saying man is capable of destroying the planet. 3) Better safe then sorry is a good idea except when it has the possibility of destroying some nations economies . I remember a few years ago I went to the NASA site and looked at a satellite they had (since removed) that showed where the greenhouse gasses were being produced, etc. The US was actually one of the cleanest countries in the world. The two top greenhouse gas producing areas? The west coast of Africa and all of South America - why? Because of fires set by lightening that have to burn themselves out, i.e., what appears to be a natural thing - not man-induced. I also join others and hope this thread does not descend into a flaming contest. IF we can discuss this in a friendly manner (albeit disagreeing agreeably) then there might be hope for the same thing happening on a larger scale. I also noticed that these scientists were actually members - which brings up the statement: consensus is not science.
QUOTE Thanks
macjuicy23

macjuicy23 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3

Does anyone here want to talk about Global Warming?
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjuicy23 View Post
Does anyone here want to talk about Global Warming?
Not really. I'd rather talk about Santa....

QUOTE Thanks
ibookclamman300

ibookclamman300 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM

i think global warming is real but it isnt quite as big a problem as it is shown in An Inconvenient Truth.

Mac: Macbook C2D 2.0ghz, 120gb hdd, 1gb ram, black
iPod: iPod nano 2ng gen. 8gb, black
QUOTE Thanks
dohidied

dohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the roughdohidied is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz

So, it turns out 400 was a little bit of an exaggeration. Economists are not scientists.

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/1...-inhofes-hype/
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Lets all remember that the earth has been warming and cooling in cycles over a very long period of time, and has been doing so for a lot longer than we puny humans can take "credit" for. I don't doubt that all of the pollution we create is not good for us or for the planet, but I believe we over exaggerate our impact. All of this "sky is falling" stuff being promulgated by Messrs. Gore and company just makes me crazy.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
thedood

thedood has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
Lets all remember that the earth has been warming and cooling in cycles over a very long period of time, and has been doing so for a lot longer than we puny humans can take "credit" for. I don't doubt that all of the pollution we create is not good for us or for the planet, but I believe we over exaggerate our impact. All of this "sky is falling" stuff being promulgated by Messrs. Gore and company just makes me crazy.
Exactly.

I bet Santa knows this better than anyone.

NABET - CWA <the union label.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« So the bbc is pro MS and anti Apple..... | New Touch! »