Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The number is growing
    Perhaps it is time we begin to listen to reason and do some more investigating:

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.c...8-3c63dc2d02cb

Many of them are members of the IPCC. Interesting that they didn't get listened to when the report first came out.

Specs:
    White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
    Hear, hear! I will read this report.
    Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
    Integrate me. Differentiate me.
    You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
    I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.

Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaNoHair View Post
    Perhaps it is time we begin to listen to reason and do some more investigating:

http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.c...8-3c63dc2d02cb
    I've been saying this for a long time. Bet none of them get the Nobel prize for having the courage to stand up and say what they see. Lets see how long it takes this thread to descend into an environmental flame fest.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
    @Moderators
    May be you should open this thread and give the members another chance for an ethical debate.

Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Quote Originally Posted by novicew View Post
    @Moderators
    May be you should open this thread and give the members another chance for an ethical debate.
    I suggest we all skip that thread and maybe try here. I'll lay $$$ and odds that this one will end up the same way though.

Specs:
    27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
    Many of them are members of the IPCC. Interesting that they didn't get listened to when the report first came out.
    Good point. They use the scientists' connection with the IPCC to give them credit, but the article itself is in dispute with the IPCC's conclusions. What is that all about???

"Over 400 Prominent Scientists Disputed Man-Made Global Warming Claims in 2007"
    Ok, fine, but now many scientists agree? 200, 500, 4,000??? This is the classic "4 out of 5 doctors agree" marketing garbage you see in shady product advertisements. Anybody can round up enough people to agree with them in order to look more credible and impressive while completely ignoring those who don't agree. I don't know about you, but I feel pretty insulted that they think I could be swayed by such a common and weak ploy. Of course, as soon as I saw it was from the government, I knew it would be some knee-jerk garbage.

I am not a scientist, so I don't have a say either way, but there's a few pretty simple things that are undeniable to even the simplest minded person.

1. all the pollution can't possibly have a completely benign effect on the environment, no matter how big or small.

2. there is more to environmental conservation than global warming issues, but that's the only one that can be disputed, so that's what dissenters choose to latch on to and debate.

3. Honestly, doesn't anyone agree with the old saying "better safe than sorry" any more? If you see a forecast that it's going to rain today, you probably take an umbrella. There's no telling if it really will rain, so why do you take the umbrella?
    "Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"

Specs:
    1) Agreed. Cleaning up to keep from killing ourselves I have no issues with.

2) That is only because that is what is being foisted so frantically upon the public by Al and the UN.

3) "Better Safe Than Sorry" is fine, but not the frantic almost desperate stance that is being taken by many of the politicians leading this crusade. Better emissions standards, recycling and so on are all good things. But the government(s) or the UN stepping in and forcibly implementing anything is the wrong way to go about it. Remember the adage, "You catch more flies with Honey than Vinegar". If you sell this right people will gladly be onboard with it. If you force it upon them they will spit it back at you.

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    I am not a scientist, so I don't have a say either way, but there's a few pretty simple things that are undeniable to even the simplest minded person.

1. all the pollution can't possibly have a completely benign effect on the environment, no matter how big or small.

2. there is more to environmental conservation than global warming issues, but that's the only one that can be disputed, so that's what dissenters choose to latch on to and debate.

3. Honestly, doesn't anyone agree with the old saying "better safe than sorry" any more? If you see a forecast that it's going to rain today, you probably take an umbrella. There's no telling if it really will rain, so why do you take the umbrella?
    Those are some very good points but there is 1) a big difference between being anti-pollution (which I think all of us are) and saying man is capable of destroying the planet. 3) Better safe then sorry is a good idea except when it has the possibility of destroying some nations economies . I remember a few years ago I went to the NASA site and looked at a satellite they had (since removed) that showed where the greenhouse gasses were being produced, etc. The US was actually one of the cleanest countries in the world. The two top greenhouse gas producing areas? The west coast of Africa and all of South America - why? Because of fires set by lightening that have to burn themselves out, i.e., what appears to be a natural thing - not man-induced. I also join others and hope this thread does not descend into a flaming contest. IF we can discuss this in a friendly manner (albeit disagreeing agreeably) then there might be hope for the same thing happening on a larger scale. I also noticed that these scientists were actually members - which brings up the statement: consensus is not science.

Specs:
    IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
    Does anyone here want to talk about Global Warming?

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by macjuicy23 View Post
    Does anyone here want to talk about Global Warming?
    Not really. I'd rather talk about Santa....

Specs:
    Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
    i think global warming is real but it isnt quite as big a problem as it is shown in An Inconvenient Truth.
    Mac: Macbook C2D 2.0ghz, 120gb hdd, 1gb ram, black
    iPod: iPod nano 2ng gen. 8gb, black

Specs:
    20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
    So, it turns out 400 was a little bit of an exaggeration. Economists are not scientists.

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/1...-inhofes-hype/

Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    Lets all remember that the earth has been warming and cooling in cycles over a very long period of time, and has been doing so for a lot longer than we puny humans can take "credit" for. I don't doubt that all of the pollution we create is not good for us or for the planet, but I believe we over exaggerate our impact. All of this "sky is falling" stuff being promulgated by Messrs. Gore and company just makes me crazy.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
    Quote Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
    Lets all remember that the earth has been warming and cooling in cycles over a very long period of time, and has been doing so for a lot longer than we puny humans can take "credit" for. I don't doubt that all of the pollution we create is not good for us or for the planet, but I believe we over exaggerate our impact. All of this "sky is falling" stuff being promulgated by Messrs. Gore and company just makes me crazy.
    Exactly.

I bet Santa knows this better than anyone.
    NABET - CWA <the union label.

Thread Information