New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Good Mac Xmas gift?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

McBayne

McBayne is on a distinguished road

I'm looking around for xmas presents for the gf, exploring the possibilities of accesories, programs, etc I could get for her laptop.

She has a 15" MacBook pro, and does alot of work related stuff w/ it (she's in advertising, uses alot of the Adobe CS3 apps).

Any accessories or programs I could get that'd make a good present? I think she's set w/ CS3 so I'm leaning towards accessories rather than programs

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

It sounds like she might be pretty well set up with Mac stuff already. The only thing that comes to mind is a fairly large USB memory stick (8 GB or so) for transferring around those enormous CS3 files. Memory sticks are getting bigger and faster all the time - it is possible that she doesn't have a fairly current one? Always useful!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Wacom tablet? They are a little on the expensive side but nothing beats using a pen for graphic work.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

You could approach it a couple ways.

You could ask her for some ideas. Computers are very personal, and it would be easy to get the wrong thing for her. It takes some of the surprise out of it, but then it also takes some of the bad surprise out of it too.

Alternatively, you could get her a gift card from Apple and do some fancy things with how you wrap it. Hmmm... Depending on how much you want to spend on her...

If you have some photos of things you've done together - an outing or even just some goof around time - make an Apple book in iPhoto. You don't have to go for the hard cover. Make a medium size soft cover book, and use that to give her the gift card. Done right, that could be a real hit with her.

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
Cherokee

Cherokee is a jewel in the roughCherokee is a jewel in the rough

I second the Wacom tablet. I couldn't survive without mine.

What about a 24" external monitor?

more RAM?

iMac - 2.4 C2D - 4GB RAM | MacBook - 2.0 C2D - 2GB RAM | AirPort Extreme Base Station
QUOTE Thanks
McBayne

thanks for the suggestions!

USB memory drive - I like the idea, would make a nice toss in. Are there any brands I should learn towards? avoid?

Wacom table - looked into it, too pricey, wouldn't be for her either.

Gift card - nah, that'd be phoning it in

applebook - can you elaborate? never heard of it before? just a picture album made via iPhoto? seems like a good throw in like the USB drive

she mentioned wanting one of these a while ago iLap but she got one on her own and took a possible layup present away from me. she ended up not being a fan and doesn't use it all that much.

are there any other accessories conducive to somebody who uses their laptop while lying in bed?
QUOTE Thanks
McBayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
I second the Wacom tablet. I couldn't survive without mine.

What about a 24" external monitor?

more RAM?
thanks but a big 'no' on all of those. she's not knee-deep enough in CS3 nor her advertising career to warrant any of those. plus i'm trying to spend $200 at the max
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBayne View Post
applebook - can you elaborate? never heard of it before? just a picture album made via iPhoto? seems like a good throw in like the USB drive
That's it. ^_^

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
thedood

thedood has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.

Why not get her something non-work related like maybe a iPod nano? Just a thought.

NABET - CWA <the union label.
QUOTE Thanks
McBayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacameraman View Post
Why not get her something non-work related like maybe a iPod nano? Just a thought.
that'd be my first idea but she has one.

and i'm not looking for a gift that's necessarily tailored to her work usage of her macbook, just throwing it out incase there was something that'd fit the bill
QUOTE Thanks
thedood

thedood has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.

Does she have a laptop stand? And or a USB light? Good luck finding perfect gift. I'm still working on that myself.

NABET - CWA <the union label.
QUOTE Thanks
Cherokee

Cherokee is a jewel in the roughCherokee is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBayne View Post
thanks but a big 'no' on all of those. she's not knee-deep enough in CS3 nor her advertising career to warrant any of those. plus i'm trying to spend $200 at the max
Well, you don't need to be "knee deep" in CS3 or an advertising career to enjoy any of these gifts.

You can get a Wacom intuos3 4x6 for $199.00

She can be really creative with it. It's an industry standard for Photoshop work.

You can't be really creative with a flash drive.

iMac - 2.4 C2D - 4GB RAM | MacBook - 2.0 C2D - 2GB RAM | AirPort Extreme Base Station
QUOTE Thanks
sanity1082

sanity1082 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle

you can get a portable hard drive if you are looking at more storage then a flash drive.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Maybe you could get her one of those fancy acid free photo albums and a few stickers. So she can put her photos (edited in PS CS3 and printed out) into it and do that scrapbooking thing. It's an idea.

Are the apple photo albums acid free? I remember ages ago Jobs talked about them in a keynote. I dunno if Apple still do them or not.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Do you have any accents? | school bio topic help (i can't choose!) »