Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35
  1. #1

    Levi's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 06, 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    681
    Specs:
    MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
    Things that bug me (Mac related).
    First off let me apologize for the negativity in the post that follows.

    • People writing MAC when they mean Mac.

    • People referring to Mac as a company/manufacturer.

    • Calling the Option key the "alt" key (not helped by the fact that the Option key says "alt" on it, and not Option [on my MBP anyway]).

    • Calling the Command key the "Apple" key (again, same problem as Option).

    • Seeing "iPod" formatted in any way other than intended; examples include Ipod, I-pod & IPod. For some reason the same *******ization of other products with an "i" prefix isn't as irritating.

    • Calling the "Zoom" button the "Maximize" button.

    • Missing the accent off "Exposé"

    • Verbalizing Mac OS X as "Mac oh-es-ex"

    • Advising Perian to enable Windows Media playback.


    If you do any of these things, please don't be offended... consider it a learning point

    Am I weird? Is this normal? Anything to add?
    Koalas: The mafia of the animal kingdom.

    Now Powered By Leopard.

  2. #2

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,764
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPhone 3GS Note 8!
    Agreed with most of your points but the Apple Key was called that way back when. When I first bought a used Mac years ago, everyone called it the Apple key. The Brand New Metal Apple keyboard is the first one I have seen without the Apple on the Command key.

    I leave the accent off Expose because it bugs me to find the key. é Figured it out.

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,744
    Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    • Calling the "Optimize" button the "Maximize" button.
    Yeah, I hate it when people come up with silly names for the zoom button.

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,744
    Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    When I first bought a used Mac years ago, everyone called it the Apple key
    Nothing has changed, then. They still do, and they're still wrong.

    The Apple II series machines had "open-Apple" (outline logo) and "closed-Apple" (solid logo) keys. Macs never have, but the Command keys doubled as open-Apple keys on some keyboards.

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Feb 28, 2007
    Posts
    1,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    • People referring to Mac as a company/manufacturer.
    I've had people call it an "iPod computer" and when I correct them they say same thing what's the difference........if they say that there is no point saying anything back........

  6. #6

    Levi's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 06, 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    681
    Specs:
    MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by technologist View Post
    Yeah, I hate it when people come up with silly names for the zoom button.
    Blame Don McAlister for that one... he referred to it as the Optimize button (I actually sent him an email to inform him it was the Zoom button ages ago... irony for you) and I was just thinking about it as I wrote that.
    Koalas: The mafia of the animal kingdom.

    Now Powered By Leopard.

  7. #7

    iLindzo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 01, 2007
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    387
    Specs:
    15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
    Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    First off let me apologize for the negativity in the post that follows.

    • People writing MAC when they mean Mac.

    • People referring to Mac as a company/manufacturer.

    • Calling the Option key the "alt" key (not helped by the fact that the Option key says "alt" on it, and not Option [on my MBP anyway]).

    • Calling the Command key the "Apple" key (again, same problem as Option).

    • Seeing "iPod" formatted in any way other than intended; examples include Ipod, I-pod & IPod. For some reason the same *******ization of other products with an "i" prefix isn't as irritating.

    • Calling the "Zoom" button the "Maximize" button.

    • Missing the accent off "Exposé"

    • Verbalizing Mac OS X as "Mac oh-es-ex"

    • Advising Perian to enable Windows Media playback.


    If you do any of these things, please don't be offended... consider it a learning point

    Am I weird? Is this normal? Anything to add?

    I agree with pretty much all of 'em.

    • My MBP says "option" and "alt"

    • Don't really care about the "zoom" button and I don't know about the "Advising Perian to enable Windows Media playback."

    • I was just talking to a friend about the "MAC" thing though. I saw one yesterday that was "MAC BOOK".

    • Mac OS X means Mac OS 10, but when it's written like that.. it's super annoying.

    • That whole iPod thing really gets to me. I work at Apple, and when we get hardcopy resumés [*accent mark* ] that have something along those lines, I just laugh and think "If you were a real Apple fan, you'd write that correctly."
    Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at their computers.

  8. #8

    Leukeh's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 22, 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,174
    Specs:
    13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
    Agreed with all of them... one question about the last though - How would you verbalise OS X? =\

    EDIT: Wait... OS 10, right...
    Behance Design/Photography Porfolio

  9. #9

    cheesybanana's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 13, 2007
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    939
    Specs:
    C2D MacBook Pro
    Wow...you are a really bitter person.
    Dost thou think, because thou art virtuous, there shall be no more cakes and ale?

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Jul 30, 2007
    Posts
    892
    There is a zoom button??? (Begging forgiveness)

  11. #11

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,764
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPhone 3GS Note 8!
    The Apple-Command-Cloverleaf-⌘ Key history.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_key

  12. #12


    Member Since
    Oct 03, 2007
    Posts
    37
    Specs:
    17" iMac, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.5 GB Ram
    why cant people call it OS X... its the way its written... i barely hear anyone call it OS 10.

  13. #13

    Leukeh's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 22, 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,174
    Specs:
    13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
    Because "X" is the Roman numeral for "10", therefore 'X" is pronounced "ten"


    But I'll continue saying OS eX because everyone knows what I'm talking about when I do and it sounds better than a number...
    Behance Design/Photography Porfolio

  14. #14

    Thundermoon1994's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 26, 2006
    Location
    Kent, OH
    Posts
    495
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
    As far as the zoom thing, I saw a video somewhere of Steve Jobs introducing Aqua and he actually referred to it as the maximize button. If Steve Jobs can call it the maximize button, so can the rest of us. That's just my take on it. You don't have to agree, so don't flame me.
    -- Unibody 15.4" MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Core2Duo Penryn, 250 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400M & GeForce 9600M GT w/ 256 MB) --
    -- 8 GB iPhone 3G -- 30 GB iPod Video --

  15. #15

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,764
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPhone 3GS Note 8!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundermoon1994 View Post
    As far as the zoom thing, I saw a video somewhere of Steve Jobs introducing Aqua and he actually referred to it as the maximize button. If Steve Jobs can call it the maximize button, so can the rest of us. That's just my take on it. You don't have to agree, so don't flame me.
    Interesting Jobs said that. The reason I do not call it Maximize is because it does not maximize but makes the window large enough to view the content. I will not flame you for it though!

    Hey, I call OSX OS EX because it sounds good that way and so many do call it that, but I know it's OS10. Jobs calls it OS10 and always has.

    The reason why MAC bugs especially the tech/network types like me is because MAC is Media Access Controller. If it did not stand for that it would not bother me as much.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Problems with all things video related
    By schaefkr in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-03-2012, 03:42 AM
  2. Mac related websites
    By Hi Tek in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-31-2009, 01:31 AM
  3. Mac Related Magazines
    By Wild_Zer0 in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-15-2009, 11:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •