New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Harry Potter: Provenance of "Death Eater"?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I have just finished reading the last of the Harry Potter books, and one thing has always "confunded" me - where did the term Death Eater originate and what is its meaning?

It occurs to me that "mort", part of "Voldemort" is the French word for dead/death, and so I wondered if there was a French word like "volde" that had some association with eating. I can't find one though.

I am aware of the lines in the books around the idea that death is the last enemy to be vanquished, but it doesn't seem to me to tie in strongly enough.

Anyone? Where does "Death Eater" come from?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
cheesybanana

cheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nice
Mac Specs: C2D MacBook Pro

Errr...Dumbledore's gay?

I don't know, but I would be interested in finding out.

Dost thou think, because thou art virtuous, there shall be no more cakes and ale?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I have been working on my limited knowledge of French. "Mort" = "Death", so if the "Volde" part somehow meant anything related to "Eat", you could translate Voldemort as "Death Eater".

Well, that was my theory. It is almost close.

"Vol de mort" in French can be loosely translated as "thief of death" or "flight from death" depending on whose translation you go with. How about a bit of a stretch here... "cheater of death"? Then given Rowling's love of having fun with words might jump in, and "Death Cheater" becomes "Death Eater"?

Just a thought...

I have googled and googled and googled, and am amazed at how few people have even thought to ask this question!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Ryan13

Ryan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
I have been working on my limited knowledge of French. "Mort" = "Death", so if the "Volde" part somehow meant anything related to "Eat", you could translate Voldemort as "Death Eater".

Well, that was my theory. It is almost close.

"Vol de mort" in French can be loosely translated as "thief of death" or "flight from death" depending on whose translation you go with. How about a bit of a stretch here... "cheater of death"? Then given Rowling's love of having fun with words might jump in, and "Death Cheater" becomes "Death Eater"?

Just a thought...

I have googled and googled and googled, and am amazed at how few people have even thought to ask this question!
Cool idea Mac57, you've really done a lot of research!
QUOTE Thanks
Shannonb

Shannonb has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard

Well I checked the Harry Potter Lexicon and they didnt have information on it besides that they were once called the Knights of Walpurgis.
QUOTE Thanks
hotdog182

hotdog182 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MBP, High Res, 2GB Ram, 2.4Ghz processor Core 2 Duo

I don't have a clue why voldermort, could possibly be just a name she thought of, She did an interview over here in UK on a kids news show, saying she loved making up words, So i guess that =].

Although your ideas are awesome too.

P.S. How hot is emma watson

iPhone Therefor I Am
QUOTE Thanks
Shannonb

Shannonb has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog182@mac.c View Post
I don't have a clue why voldermort, could possibly be just a name she thought of, She did an interview over here in UK on a kids news show, saying she loved making up words, So i guess that =].

Although your ideas are awesome too.

P.S. How hot is emma watson
P.S. Very.
QUOTE Thanks
Thundermoon1994

Thundermoon1994 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB

She said in an interview that her meaning behind Voldemort was "flight from death". Anyway, if you eat something, you destroy it or conquer it. Voldemort's goal was to overcome death.

-- Unibody 15.4" MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz Core2Duo Penryn, 250 GB HD, 4 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400M & GeForce 9600M GT w/ 256 MB) --
-- 8 GB iPhone 3G -- 30 GB iPod Video --
QUOTE Thanks
macjuicy23

macjuicy23 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3

I asked the father from My Big Fat Greek Wedding and he says it Originated from Greek Language... Oh yeah and Windex cures any skin disorders....
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundermoon1994 View Post
She said in an interview that her meaning behind Voldemort was "flight from death". Anyway, if you eat something, you destroy it or conquer it. Voldemort's goal was to overcome death.
This pretty much sums it up. Voldemort split his soul into different pieces so he could never be killed and would never die. I guess he named his followers the Death Eaters because he was egotistical and narcissitic and thought that they would never die or could never be defeated.

That or the name was created by some one with the same view, just from the victim perspective.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_OS

Mac_OS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard

mort comes form the french infinitive of the verb mourir meaning to die, then the word death is mort, for example to die = pour mourir which literally translated means 'for to die' - the word, i don't know about the eating thing but the infinitive of the verb to eat en francais is manger.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac_OS

Mac_OS is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard

if you were to conjugate the verb manger it would look like this, (excuse the Uk keyboard)
je manges
tu mange
il/elle mange
nous mangons
vous mangez
ils/elles mangent

i dont think voldemort is connected to the french for eating i do think however its connected to the latin verb for eating, i believe i read this somewhere.
QUOTE Thanks
ambivalent

ambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro - iPhone

im glad you guys brought up this question, I always forget that I have questions like this.

Thats why I love you guys.

She figured out that the only way to keep from being frozen was to stay in motion,
and long ago converted most of her flesh into liquid.
Now when she smells danger, she spills herself all over, like gasoline, and lights it.
QUOTE Thanks
iSebastianGrey

iSebastianGrey has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 13.3" MacBook Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 60GB HD, 512MB DDR2, and the SuperDrive.

The term "death eaters" means what Thundermoon said. Now the origin of the term may actually come from what were known as "sin eaters," those who would take upon the sins of the dying through ritual means.

Everything popular is wrong.

~Oscar Wilde
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Who Uses the Forum Shortcuts? | Apple does it again... »