New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

30 Days of Night - CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JRV

JRV will become famous soon enough

Anyone see this? I just saw this last night and I think it was possibly the worst vampire movie ever made. All they had was a gimmick of 30 days of darkness but the actual logic is flawed. I don't think I'm looking too deep either, it jumped right out at me.

-At first it looks like there are only a few vampires but by the end you see a total of about 30. That many vampires ripping through a town of 150 only leaves 3 people per vampire. It is pointless.

-The vampires aren't even the cool kind. They were too monster-ish. They didn't transform or anything. A classic vampire trait that was missing.

-It lacked that religious stuff that makes for a great vampire movie. You know, crucifixes, holy water, wood through the heart.

Go see Fright Night, The Lost boys, John Carptenter's Vampires, Blade or Underworld. They were all better than this nightmare of a movie.
QUOTE Thanks
hondagus87

hondagus87 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: New MACBOOK

The lost boys is such a great movie. The blade movies were pretty cool also.
QUOTE Thanks
ambivalent

ambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro - iPhone

are you joking?! first of all, 30 days of night started as a graphic novel, and its badass, goooo read it.

secondly, there is about 7 vampires and if any were added it would be because they transformed from humans! although I didnt notice any great change in numbers, they seemed to want to keep their group small.

I do agree with you that the missing religious stuff or "how to beat a vampire" was disappointing.

I thought it was pretty badass though, i prefer zombies.

She figured out that the only way to keep from being frozen was to stay in motion,
and long ago converted most of her flesh into liquid.
Now when she smells danger, she spills herself all over, like gasoline, and lights it.
QUOTE Thanks
cheesybanana

cheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nice
Mac Specs: C2D MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV View Post
...but the actual logic is flawed.
It was soooooo unrealistic.

Dost thou think, because thou art virtuous, there shall be no more cakes and ale?
QUOTE Thanks
ambivalent

ambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro - iPhone

party poopers

She figured out that the only way to keep from being frozen was to stay in motion,
and long ago converted most of her flesh into liquid.
Now when she smells danger, she spills herself all over, like gasoline, and lights it.
QUOTE Thanks
cheesybanana

cheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nicecheesybanana is just really nice
Mac Specs: C2D MacBook Pro

Err....I was being sarcastic. I haven't actually seen it

Dost thou think, because thou art virtuous, there shall be no more cakes and ale?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV View Post
-At first it looks like there are only a few vampires but by the end you see a total of about 30. That many vampires ripping through a town of 150 only leaves 3 people per vampire. It is pointless.

-The vampires aren't even the cool kind. They were too monster-ish. They didn't transform or anything. A classic vampire trait that was missing.

-It lacked that religious stuff that makes for a great vampire movie. You know, crucifixes, holy water, wood through the heart.
You don't really need any of those things to have a good vampire movie. This movie (and the GN) went for the "virally infected" vampire angle. The only way to kill them is through dismemberment. Besides, vampires of folklore aren't affected by religious icons anyway. The whole religious icons, transformation, and staking didn't come into play until Braham Stoker wrote Dracula.

But those things are moot, nothing could save this steaming pile of crap. The acting was horrible. The story works for a short graphic novel, but not for a feature-length movie. Too many holes were left in the "plot". Still, even with more holes than swiss cheese, the events were completely predictable. The movie wasn't scary, it wasn't suspenseful, it wasn't gripping... it just plain wasn't any good.
My girlfriend and I laughed out loud at the sheer craptasticness as it unfolded before our eyes. It was just a bad movie... and not even a "good" bad movie... it just stunk.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
JRV

JRV will become famous soon enough

Well I like that classic vampire stuff like holy water and crucifixes. But I also like the first Blade movie which seems to use a more modern take on vampires. This movie was just garbage though. It lacked all that good vampire stuff. It was just a bunch of monsters killing people. No back story or anything. Actually no story period.
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

I actually considered it to be one of the better "Vampire" flicks within the past 15 years. I sure enjoyed it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Halloween 2007 | ipod mail in rabate? »