New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

How narc-like are you?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Icarus

ok, so here's my story.
A few weeks ago, my parents left town for a few days, right?
and so I decided to hold a little get-together with my friends and I.
Now, at this 'get-together' there was some beverages usually reserved for those over 21...

and so one of my friends who was not there, decided it would be a good idea to mention the little get-together to his parents. Then, his parents desided to bring this up to another friend of mine who was not their either - he said it happened.

Now I don't really care what ben's parents think of me - I'm off to college in two weeks.

What scares me is the possibility of Ben's parents feeling the need to bring this up to MY parents, in which case I'd be SOL. (student out of luck)

So my poll is as follows - if you knew about this party, would YOU tell your parents?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

It would be better to tell your parents about the get together, than have some one else tell them you had a wild party and the police came to break it up.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

I agree, when you become a responsible adult, first you try not to do things behind people's back, but if that fails, then you own up to where you screwed up. It's part of the growing up process, which usually it takes quite a few years out of college these days before that happens, but you even asking.. it sounds like you're on your way to responsibility.. funny how getting in trouble can help us along that path a bit quicker
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

hehe, to me... i tell my parents what they ask. it keeps me from lying and usually they care less about things.

if it gets to your parents, deny it or reword it.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite
if it gets to your parents, deny it or reword it.
The problem with deny or rewording it is, it is so close to lying.

It would better to tell before it is told by some one else.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Icarus

but see, this wasn't a HUGE party where the cops would even consider - this was 6 people in my basement, no noise, just chillin.
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Simple: If they don't ask, don't tell.
QUOTE Thanks
Icarus

the other day, when they came back from a different trip, (in which I did nothing illegal) they said, "anything go on you'd like to tell us?"
"....no..."
"you sure?"
"quite sure."
"okay"
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Well, you don't want to tell them, so you can still say no and not lie...
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

So then you lied to your parents? And if they already know, they know that you can't be trusted since you lied to them and they know you lied. Now whenever they do something that might take some trust of you, they are less likely to do it without making sure people are checking up on you, etc etc. It's plain easier and better on the both of you, if everyone was honest.

It sounds like rman and I are the only ones that are adverse to lying and then those that do know us, trust us implicitly because of it, just a suggestion for the future and once responsibility kicks in. It's nice to know friends, family, etc trusts you because you are worthy of their trust.
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

lol yeah if they dont ask i dont bother mentioning it.. unless of course they have a good chance of findin out..

of course its been many years since ive had to deal with my parents so i could be rusty

ah to be free... it still feels good.
QUOTE Thanks
Icarus

you know, I doubt that they know about it. so I didn't lie about it - and if they say to me, "did you have a drinking, (soda pop) party here" I'll confess. but for now, I'll stick to the grey truth.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

The problem is when it comes to the truth there are no shades of grey/gray.

QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

Um. Man. Why would you're friends have said anything to their parents? That sucks. I would talk to your "friends" first, and find out what their parents are saying. Then, I just wouldn't say anything. I think if you're parents know, you'll know they know, and that would be the time to confess.
QUOTE Thanks
Icarus

oh, I have every interest in 'talking' to this friend who decided to tell his parents about this - this isn't the first time either...he's told them of other...illegal things I've done as well...sort of pisses me off.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Welcome Djbeamer | United States of America ZERO! »