New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

'sleep' and 'screen saver' questions.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

doubledvideo

I have wireless internet in my house, and my mac is one of the computer that recieves the wirless internet....I am just wondering, if there is anyway to put the computer to 'sleep' but still remain active on the network. For example, I have AIM up and my away message on, and something downloading in the background ( a large file of some sort), I would like to put the computer to 'sleep' and still stay signed on through AIM and continue downloading. Everytime my mac 'sleeps' it seems to lose the wireless internet signal. On my dad's pc, and my bro's pc, they can put there computers on 'standby', but i've checked out both computers, and they still remain active on the network (i.e still logged in through AIM, etc. etc.) even though they are on 'standby'. IS there anyway you can do this on a mac....or am i just stuck

one other question,

when i have my screensaver up, its usually because i was editing something and walked away to do something else, i would like my screen saver to come up and be password protected when you come back and wiggle the mouse you have to put in a password to go back to what you were doing. (i believe windows has something similar)... to many times things have gotten screwed up cause my ******* of a lil brother decides he knows what he is doing (but in all reality) has never used a mac much, and tends to screw things up quite often.

any help will be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
flonejek

*bump*
I want exactly the same functionality, it'd be great for my xdonkey addiciton
QUOTE Thanks
doubledvideo

*bump*
xdonkey addiction???
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

I don't think you can have the system sleep during a download; the net card is active... Password for screen-saver is in system preferences > security
QUOTE Thanks
doubledvideo

i have mac osx 10.2.8 and i see no security tab under the system prefrences, anywhere else it could be?
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

In my 10.3.4 its in the top pane called personal - to the right security. Did you try from the Apple menu on the top left? Although I guess that's the same
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

In 10.2.8, open System Preferences and select the Screen Effects pane. Click on the Activation tab, and then click the bubble next to Use my User Account Password.

As for sleeping while online...I'd just set the display to shut off after 10 minutes or so. True sleep cuts off the network card.
QUOTE Thanks
doubledvideo

thanks the "password" helped...

just wish i could 'sleep' the comptuer, and still stay online. oh well...

time to go back to a PC i guess, just kidding
QUOTE Thanks
chronogoof89

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledvideo
thanks the "password" helped...

just wish i could 'sleep' the comptuer, and still stay online. oh well...

time to go back to a PC i guess, just kidding

Set the display to turn off, and have it set so the HD turns off when possible. Once the display goes off, you are basically in sleep - the network card (so long as you shut off other programs - iTunes would keep pumping music, for example) is going to basically be the only thing active all the time.
QUOTE Thanks
doubledvideo

ill try that...thank you very much, uve all have been a big help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Stupid Windows Virus | Hmmmmmm? »