New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Schweb's Lounge Forum for general conversation, chit chat, or most topics that don't fit in another forum.

Calling all Audiophiles!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jakus

Here is my question. I have a 17 inch imac. I just purchased a LINN Audio system to go along with my computer. I hooked up the speakers using a set of Monster cables to go from the headphone jack to the R/L inputs of the receiver. For some reason while playing music through my computer there is a tremendous amount of distortion (impedence) coming out of these speakers. I used to have a set of soundsticks, which where ok, but now my upgraded speakers currently sound like crap and they are supposed to sound better on a superior level. Any suggestions!?
QUOTE Thanks
The Saab Pimp

an easy thing to do would be to clean all the contacts, including inside the headphone jack in the computer with some WD-40. don't drown them in it, just a quick spritz and a wipe with a paper towel. if that doesn't fix it, you can try hooking the speakers up to a CD player or something to check and see if the speakers themselves are defective. if it sounds fine using a CD player or whatever, then i dunno sorry.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

I deleted your other thread, please do not cross post.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Are you sure the speakers are powered/amplified rightly?
QUOTE Thanks
adamburgess

Try turning the Mac's volume down half way and the reciever's upto where you like it. So the reciever is doing the amplifying - not the headphone amp in the mac.
QUOTE Thanks
vuschejan

Ok these areprobably going to sound stupid but Make sure everything is completley plugged in. Also, Make sure their are no monitors or other wires around the wires going from the headphone port to the receiver some of them may be unshielded cables causign distortion.
QUOTE Thanks
PinkPhishDoors

I had this problem. I had to buy an imic from griffin technologies. http://www.griffintechnology.com/
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Sorry, excuse the dumb question but, does the iMac have a Line-Out?

If not, that's your problem: Your setup is only as good as the weakest link - in your case the source with it's headphone out.

Either try the suggestion above, i.e. turn the headphone output on the iMac down quite low and have the amp do the amping!

or get a decent usb line-out device for true audiophile quality.

Hope this helps, if not head over to www.head-fi.org and check out the pc as source forum.
QUOTE Thanks
PinkPhishDoors

the most recent update of iMacs have audio outs> but the 17 in. he is talking about is the same as mine(only headphone and prospeaker outs) so you need to buy an iMic or similar!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cupertino, CA Headquaters | Why use IE? Join the fight! »